10.5 Last of the big cats?

zozo
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Came accross a chart of big cat sizes. Remarkably enough, it follows the code name evolution of MacOS X perfectly. Oddly in the naming scheme though, Lions are generally smaller than Tigers and yet Lion hasn't been used yet. PS Panthers are "Cougar-Leopard" area. (recap, we had Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, and now Tiger)

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/agarman/bco/fact1.htm

Quote:

Table of overall head and body length (meters) of the cat family - in order of size.

lower_-_upper

Tiger 2.20 - 3.30

Lion 2.00 - 2.80

Cougar 1.00 - 2.00

Leopard 0.90 - 1.90

Jaguar 1.00 - 1.80

Cheetah 1.00 - 1.50

Snow Leopard 1.00 - 1.30

Lynx 0.80 - 1.30

Asian Golden Cat 0.73 - 1.10

Serval 0.67 - 1.00

Bobcat 0.65 - 1.00

Clouded Leopard 0.60 - 1.00

Ocelot 0.55 - 1.00

African Golden Cat 0.72 - 0.95

etc

While I'm a big fan for "Ocelot" I don't think Apple will go for it (even though they've been touting wanky code names lately)

Does "Lion" fit Apple's image of a big cat? was it skipped on purpose? Will we see a MacOS XI that will go head to head with an eventual 2007 launch of Windows Longhorn?

While Lions are regarding as "kings of the cats", I'd think a tiger could beat the crap out of a lioness.

Whatch'all think? Is the "CatOS" game coming to a close? One last round?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    'Ocelot' would be cool . However, I think Apple would face the problme of having loads of teenage fans of the Metal Gear Solid series saying, "Dude! You totally ripped off your new OS name from my favourite computer game villain!".

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, see this wikipedia entry.

But to answer your original question, it's difficult to see how they could continue the line without resorting to less known / less impressive cats. Maybe they should change to the dog family? Like you said, maybe for OS XI...
  • Reply 2 of 25
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Abrey

'Ocelot' would be cool . However, I think Apple would face the problme of having loads of teenage fans of the Metal Gear Solid series saying, "Dude! You totally ripped off your new OS name from my favourite computer game villain!".

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, see this wikipedia entry.

But to answer your original question, it's difficult to see how they could continue the line without resorting to less known / less impressive cats. Maybe they should change to the dog family? Like you said, maybe for OS XI...

os XI

Roottweiler! the ultimate in security!!
  • Reply 3 of 25
    I don't think Apple is going to go for "Ocelot" ... I see a 10.5 Lion and then Apple moving into birds of prey or fish.

Just think...

Mac OS X 10.6 Swordfish, Marlin, Falcon, Eagle or Raptor???
  • Reply 4 of 25
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    I want 10.6 Raptor !
  • Reply 5 of 25
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I hear that "Tiger" will probably be the last of the big cat names. Next release: something new.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I think they should go over to names describing the evolution of man, culminating in 10.9.9 'homo'.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Hobbes

Just because YOU are a tiger !!!!

I hope that the next is Lion just because.

I do like the idea of birds of prey though.

Osprey

Kite

Harrier

Hawk

Eagle

Falcon

Although stealing Micro$ofts thunder and using COW names would be funny

Amerifax

Charolais

Irish Black?

Red Angus

Angus

Chianina

Irish Red?

Salers

Balancers

Gelbvieh

Limousin

Shorthorn

Brangus

Hereford

Maine-Anjou

Simmental

Braunvieh

Hotlander?

Murray Grey

Texas Longhorn

Second thoughts naming it after a COW does not quite conger up the same dynamic image as "Tiger"

Big fangs and sharp claws or Seven stomachs and the ability to regurgitate your food and chew it again. I know which mental picture I like more

j.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    silversilver Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

os XI Roottweiler! the ultimate in security!!

ROTFL !!

Great name ! Maybe Apple can steal it for their new (very secret!) security app.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnrp

Although stealing Micro$ofts thunder and using COW names would be funny

Actually, I think that "Longhorn" is just another in Microsoft's tradition of codenames that come from the names of mountains in the ranges near Redmond. I don't know that "Longhorn" is actually a mountain, but it would make sense (and go a long way to explaining the name).
  • Reply 10 of 25
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    LOL that would be hilarious if Jobs, in 2-3 years after 10.5 Lion goes on stage and says that the next series of code names will be cow based
  • Reply 11 of 25
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnrp

Hobbes

Just because YOU are a tiger !!!!

Coincidence! Has no influence or bearing on my juicy inside info!! I mean it!!!
  • Reply 12 of 25
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Longhorn is a bar at the bottom of Whistler mountain. And yes Longhorn is just a code name, windows will not be called longhorn when it is released.

Windows XP codename = Whistler

Next version = Longhorn

Version after Longhorn = Blackcomb (mountain next to Whistler)
  • Reply 13 of 25
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Mac OS X 10.5 'MooCow'
  • Reply 14 of 25
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Hay hay hay what about rivers ? .... ohh yeah Amzon

What about NUMBERS ? I can see it now

"Introducing the next great OS from apple OS 10.6"

(and the updates could be decimal places behind that)

They could go on for ever

As an aside how did we gat to OSX so quickly.. I remember 6,7,8,8.5(ugh),9 but nothing before.. what was before anyone know ?

j.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    great resource on Wikipedia

Quote:

Early versions of Mac OS

Early versions of the operating system were identified by the version numbers of two files they included: System (the kernel) and Finder (the desktop interface).

* System 1.0, Finder 1.0 (January 1984)

* System 1.1, Finder 1.1g (May 1984)

* System 2.0, Finder 4.1 (April 1985)

* System 2.1, Finder 5.0 (September 1985)

* System 3.0, Finder 5.1 (January 1986)

* System 3.2, Finder 5.3 (June 1986)

* System 4.0, Finder 5.4 (January 1987)

* System 4.1, Finder 5.5 (April 1987)

These releases could only run one application at a time, though special application shells such as Switcher (discussed under MultiFinder) could work around this to some extent. Systems 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 used a flat filing system called MFS (Macintosh File System); its support for folders (subdirectories) was incomplete. System 2.1 (Finder 5.0) introduced the HFS (Hierarchical File System) which had real directories. System 3.0 was introduced with the Mac Plus, adding support for several new technologies including SCSI and AppleTalk. System 4.0 came with the Mac SE and Macintosh II.

Changes in early Macintosh operating systems are best reflected in the version number of the Finder, where major leaps are found between 1.x, 4.x, 5.x, and 6.x.

[edit]

System 5

System 5 added MultiFinder, an add-on replacement for the Finder which could run several programs at once. Time was given to the background applications only when the foreground (or "running") applications gave it up (cooperative multitasking), but in fact most of them did via a clever change on the OS's event handling. The other significant change that System 5 brought to the Mac was Color QuickDraw, which debuted with the Macintosh II. This significantly altered the extent and design of the underlying graphics architecture (and its APIs), but it is a credit to Apple that most users, and perhaps more importantly existing code, were largely unaware of this.

System 5 was also the first Macintosh operating system to be given a unified "Macintosh System Software" version number, as opposed to the numbers used for the System and Finder files.

* System Software 5.0 [System 4.2, Finder 6.0, MultiFinder 1.0]

* System Software 5.1 [System 4.3, Finder 6.0, MultiFinder 1.0]

etc etc etc with MacOS 6, 7, 8 ,9, etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_history
  • Reply 16 of 25
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Hmmm.....

10.5 - Hello Kitty (cute, and candy interface, with an overdose of candy widgeds) .. or

OS XI = Elephant - big, bloated, good memory, and all gray interface.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    shinyshiny Posts: 26member
    10.5 will be called Monarch. King of the Operating Systems.

Think about it, although Tigers are bigger than Lions, most people think of the Lion as the biggest cat. Thus, 10.5 will be called Lion. But, Lions are also known as Monarchs.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    MadCow.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shiny

10.5 will be called Monarch. King of the Operating Systems.

Think about it, although Tigers are bigger than Lions, most people think of the Lion as the biggest cat. Thus, 10.5 will be called Lion. But, Lions are also known as Monarchs.

Yes make OS X Lion will rule : the king of any OS system
  • Reply 20 of 25
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    OSX.5 "LEO"???