TS reveals specs

Comments

• Reply 101 of 138
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I almost think TS is trashing its accuracy on purpose.

You might be onto something here,

Seriously... TS could be in some DEEP trouble with those lawsuits. It could be entirely possible to trash their record to help out in courts. Its a shame, but completely possible.
  • Reply 102 of 138
    I do know if TS IS right, then apple just lost another Powermac sale. I have the cash in my account that's been throbbing to buy a mac. Apple said in their conference call the other day that the powermacs are only there for their PRO users / developers... and they are important to these users. Well 160k (units sold last quarter) was the lowest mac sale out of everything. So powermac is on the bottom of the list... I can see why apple may not really care too much about them.

I want to bring up another gripe, "512mb Ram PC3200 standard".

So everything else gets bumped to 512, while teh $3k machine still ships with 512mb STANDARD RAM!? Are you kidding me!? I can only think of one explaination to this: apple makes way too much on ram sales to bump it up. To trade in the 2x256 that ships with the machine, then get 2x512 is $150 extra. So really that translates to about $200 for 1gb of ram. You can get a very good set of 1gb mached 2x512 for 90-100 right now i.e crucial pc3200 for 48 each.

I just don't see how they can charge $3k for a machine and ship 2x512 with it. That is simply disgusting. I am losing more respect for apple on a daily basis with their prices... dell 24" lcd vs Apple ACD 23"... need I say more?
  • Reply 103 of 138
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

. Apple said in their conference call the other day that the powermacs are only there for their PRO users / developers... and they are important to these users. Well 160k (units sold last quarter) was the lowest mac sale out of everything. So powermac is on the bottom of the list... I can see why apple may not really care too much about them.

That's because every body has been waiting on the 3GHz powerMac for 2 years. Apple is ignorant to believe that shit they are saying in their conference call. I only hope it was a smoke screen, or a moment of idiocy, and foolishly talking out of their a$$. More than just professionals, gamers, and developers buy powerMacs. I bought my first powerMac because it was their fastest computer, and presumably it would stay in contention for the longest amount of time. That Apple statement is totally ignorant. I really am starting to believe they have become too full of themselves to see what the hell they are doing.
  • Reply 104 of 138
    Seriously, I don't think they care. If they had it their way they would do away with the Powermac line completely. I think its more of a headache then any other machine, and brings in the least amount of immediate profit (excluding development profits etc).
  • Reply 105 of 138
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Well 160k (units sold last quarter) was the lowest mac sale out of everything.

That's because the Power Mac is so fucking overpriced and is enormous as towers go these days.
  • Reply 106 of 138
    Onlooker,

I totally understand your frustration.

We all kept our hopes high waiting all this time for Apple

to deliver " The Precious "

Until last week, many of us weren't expecting to see Tiger or any improvement to the PowerMacs before WWDC.

Now we might hear something this weekend.

Personally, I hope that Apple is aggressive enough to put AMD in their place this Sunday, but I'm still prepared to wait until WWDC as long

as Apple gives us that jaw dropping performance we expect.

We kinda glossed over the fact that Apple might do a PowerBook style

bump and price drop to clear out the existing chassis and motherboard

configurations.

It's not what we want to hear, but this could give Apple more time to evaluate exactly what THEY must do to re-define that cutting edge performance once they've seen what AMD and Intel have to offer.

I know damn well that I 'm NOT going to buy any machine running Windows and frankly Linux reminds me of all those beta apps that

I've learned the hard way to avoid.

You're not the only one who wants back those self indulgent

yet well deserved Apple bragging rights.

I'm voting no confidence on the TS specs

prefering and hoping I can still count on Apple innovation

Soon
  • Reply 107 of 138
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Yeah, I know THAT. But why would they release software on a Sunday? Whats wrong with Monday?

NAB starts Saturday. Why would you wait until the event was nearly over to introduce something where people wouldn't have a chance to talk about it?

It's not Apple's fault that the event starts Saturday - they have to work with what they have to work with.
  • Reply 108 of 138
    Quote:

Is PCI-Express a bad idea?_ Not at all._ It cuts manufacturing costs and simplifies trace design; from that perspective alone it?s a smart advance._ But don?t confuse ?smart advance? with ?performance advantage.?_ Based on the numbers we?ve seen here, the average game and application (even the modern ones) typically do not take advantage of AGP 8x._ None of our games showed more than a small increase._ Professional applications are a different story, there we saw boosts of 30-40%._ Its also been suggested that certain specified applications, like video editing, might run more smoothly over the PCI-Express system.

For the gamer, however, PCI-Express is going to be a non-issue._ Given that most games today barely stress the AGP 2x bus, moving to double AGP 8x isn?t going to do anything._ It?s the equivalent of widening a highway no one drives on._ Had AGP developed in the direction it was intended to things might be different, but it didn?t._ Now, to some extent, it?s a solution to a problem no one has._

If you?re still running on an original Athlon, P3, or Socket 423 P4, than a PCI-Express system might not be a bad idea, but if you?ve got something newer and aren?t using a specialized application demonstrated to gain from PCI-E, we wouldn?t bother planning to upgrade._ You?ll just be throwing money away after hype._ The reality is, in many cases we're barely pushing AGP 2x, sometimes 4x._ 8x, despite now being two years old, is mostly hot air.

Christ.

PCI-E is huge because the GPU can do in real-time for video what the CPU can only hope *and* allow the CPU to read that back.

It's not huge on the PC side because no apps can do that, but what a goddamn coup that would be to show PCI-E systems at NAB *and* software that can make the most of it. I don't care what kind of GHz or dual-core Intel/AMD show, having Apple's video suite take advantage of this on new Pmac and Tiger will steal the show, without a doubt.

Of course, nobody should be shocked if Apple blows it instead. They always seem to be one cylinder short of a V8 when it comes to this kind of stuff. My only hope is that the painfully long delay is a result of them making sure their shit is together on this one.
  • Reply 109 of 138
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Tiger with CoreImage & CoreVideo would REALLY want a nice fat PCI-E slot to pump pixels through, if not a brace of them...

And there IS the multicore trump card to play...

This Sunday could be VERY interesting for Mac power users...

And if Apple announced/demoed a dual-core dual CPU PowerMac w/dual SLI-enabled PCI-E slots, they coukdn't even begin to fill the IMMEDIATE demand for these beasties...
  • Reply 110 of 138
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    With the new and last panther update available, they might ship some of the products real soon after announcement.
  • Reply 111 of 138
    If the rumoured specs for the eMac are true, then the Mac mini has some serious competition.

Kind of like when the Mac mini came out, it made the future for the eMac look grim.

For a few hundred clams more you get a screen (albeit CRT), keyboard, mouse, much better graphics card. Plus, on the top-spec model, a dual layer DVD & 512Mb.

In comparison, the Mac mini suddenly looks like a dud.

[edit] Oh, I forgot; 7200RPM Hard Drive.
  • Reply 112 of 138
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I almost think TS is trashing its accuracy on purpose.

It's a little late for that, isn't it?
  • Reply 113 of 138
    Everyone seems to be pointing to Sunday as the possible reveal date, but I'd think that since NAB goes through the 21st that this Tuesday would be just as likely if not more so.
  • Reply 114 of 138
    Quote:

You really think Apple will stand by and let Alienware/AMD's new

workstations steal the show on Monday.

Yep...for multiple reasons. First, Apple has already established a yearly update cycle for the PMs. Second, a multi-core processor would most likely be unveiled at a keynote. Third, Apple needs to spread all of it's product announcements out over the course of the year. NAB will see Pro apps, next month leading up to WWDC will be Tiger, and WWDC will be PMs bringing us all the way to back-to-school.

This week Wall Street was very clear about it's expectations for Apple....Apple needs a constant release of innovative products throughout the year to help satisfy analysts. Apple will want to space it's announcements out accordingly.
  • Reply 115 of 138
    I don't think we'll actually see a new PowerMac until WWDC, but I strongly expect a sneak peek of things to come during that invitation only NAB press conference tomorrow.

The education expo this weekend might also reveal a new eMac,

iMacG5 for education or a new, more affordable display for the mini.
  • Reply 116 of 138
    gjas15gjas15 Posts: 24member
    Theres really only one differnce between the 9600 and the 9600xt... clockspeed. To fix this just go download aticcellerator II and overclock your 9600.

but remember the usual legal disclaimers about possibly burning out your card and what not.
  • Reply 117 of 138
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

Onlooker,

I totally understand your frustration.

We all kept our hopes high waiting all this time for Apple

to deliver " The Precious "

Until last week, many of us weren't expecting to see Tiger or any improvement to the PowerMacs before WWDC.

Now we might hear something this weekend.

Personally, I hope that Apple is aggressive enough to put AMD in their place this Sunday, but I'm still prepared to wait until WWDC as long

as Apple gives us that jaw dropping performance we expect.

We kinda glossed over the fact that Apple might do a PowerBook style

bump and price drop to clear out the existing chassis and motherboard

configurations.

It's not what we want to hear, but this could give Apple more time to evaluate exactly what THEY must do to re-define that cutting edge performance once they've seen what AMD and Intel have to offer.

I know damn well that I 'm NOT going to buy any machine running Windows and frankly Linux reminds me of all those beta apps that

I've learned the hard way to avoid.

You're not the only one who wants back those self indulgent

yet well deserved Apple bragging rights.

I'm voting no confidence on the TS specs

prefering and hoping I can still count on Apple innovation

Soon

I'll wait and see, but I'm almost gone.

You may not be willing to run windows, or Linux, but I am. Three of my friends switched last year away from their PowerMacs because of the specs, (one is just an average user, and 2 are professionals) and went to Dell, Alienware <-(twice, recently upgraded), and BOXX. I can't blame them. They are getting a lot of work done. Funny thing is people keep talking about crashes, and problems with PC's, and none of them have any problems whatsoever. I guess it depends on how well you know how to maintain a computer. At least that is what they say. I've never seen them have a bit of trouble though. Frankly I'm sick of giving Apple all these extra chances, and extra time to wake up, and figure it out. WWDC is my dead line. Again.
  • Reply 118 of 138
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    LOL.....have fun. Idle threats are my favorite.
  • Reply 119 of 138
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SQUÅSH

LOL.....have fun. Idle threats are my favorite.

My god, tell me about it - i can't even look at XP anymore - it's like going back to 10.2 or OS9 - I just expect too much from my OS now.
  • Reply 120 of 138
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

My god, tell me about it - i can't even look at XP anymore - it's like going back to 10.2 or OS9 - I just expect too much from my OS now.

Back to 10.2? I have news for you, there isn't that much difference between 10.2 and 10.3.

This rumored speed bump does not say positive things about IBM's progress within one year. One has to face the fact that Think Secret has been dead on so often recently. On the other hand, Apple could have found the leak and provided strategic disinformation, but I doubt it.