TS reveals specs

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 138
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Are you kidding me? The left column in the finder window? Mail? Exposé? Colored folders? Fast user switching? And there was a huge speed improvement.
  • Reply 122 of 138
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Sure 10.3, was a significant improvement, but my point is that 10.2 was still very much superior to XP.
  • Reply 123 of 138
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Well, it's close - I think 10.2 had too much beach ball.
  • Reply 124 of 138
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    You guys may spend most of your time wondering around an OS, but many people use applications that while running have very little to do with the OS itself. I've used Silo, modo, Maya, PS, and ZBrush on the PC in windows running all the same time, and I didn't pay that much attention to the OS at the time. I don't even spend that much in OS X unless I'm in here.
  • Reply 125 of 138
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    As one posting from a 233MHz G3 PowerBook (WallStreet) running OS X 10.2.8 with 288MB of RAM, I will quantify the "too much beachball" statement...

Gotta try XPostFacto & Panther soon...

Or a Mac mini with Tiger...
  • Reply 126 of 138
    dave jdave j Posts: 84member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

WWDC is my dead line. Again.

If you don't mind, post a nice assembly of PC killer kit for both of us and from the sound of things a few more as well... say around the 2nd week in June...
  • Reply 127 of 138
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    I believe the ts specs are bogus. (bogus- what a word)

Though, we will see powermac updates in the next week, end of April tops. It's always when there are alot of rumblings, rumours and talk about, that you know something is just around the corner.

WWDC is too far.
  • Reply 128 of 138
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave J

If you don't mind, post a nice assembly of PC killer kit for both of us and from the sound of things a few more as well... say around the 2nd week in June...

LOL bye bye....have fun. My hope is you and your dark cloud gang buy PC's because you give me gas.
  • Reply 129 of 138
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave J

It will probably be after the second week in June if Apple actually comes up with something interesting. I want to see what it's capable of outside of the typical Keynote BS that Apple usually spreads. Bearfeats, and TH will probably have some Independent tests a few weeks post keynote. If they ship that soon.
  • Reply 130 of 138
    dave jdave j Posts: 84member
    Quote:

It will probably be after the second week in June if Apple actually comes up with something interesting. I want to see what it's capable of outside of the typical Keynote BS that Apple usually spreads. Bearfeats, and TH will probably have some Independent tests a few weeks post keynote. If they ship that soon.

Understood. I can wait.
  • Reply 131 of 138
    I beginning to feel like this is the early morning of Ground Hog Day.

In less than 12 hours we find out if it's going to be another six weeks

of technological winter for Apple.

I can't begin to imagine how many people are holding onto their money and seriouly losing patience waiting for Apple to get their act together.

There will certainly be plenty of curiosity over at the AMD & Alienware booths on Monday, so Apple had better be paying attention.

®¥¨?¥¥¥¨°
  • Reply 132 of 138
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I have said it before and I will say it again. The current PowerMacs are not as pathetic as you guys keep saying. I know they need an update, but come on it's not the end of the world. The PC world hasn't updated shit either. The P4 has had less of an improvement than the G5. Sure Dual core wintel chips are coming out. Apple and IBM will have dual core chips as well. Perhaps before or perhaps a few months later than the rest of the PC world. Who cares? For god sake stop bitching all the time!

I mean look at the benchmarks. The PowerMacs are still up there even after a year. Apple is a small company compared to Dell etc and everything is custom made for them. They can't update every 4 months as it would be too expensive. And keep in mind that the 2.5Ghz PowerMacs didn't start shipping till months after they were released. I wouldn't get your hopes up for a NAB release as I doubt it'll happen. WWDC for dual cores.
  • Reply 133 of 138
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    First : I don't think there are hidden specs in 10.3.9, because all new hardware will ship with Tiger.

Second: we have 9 hours to discuss about these specs and if we are lucky we will see the real specs by then.

Third: if it's not 9 hours it will be 33 hours

Four: if it's not 33 hours, it will be ?

Five: I have never owned Windows and never used it longer than 2 hours in a row and I tend to keep it that way.

Six: I wish I had too much money

That is it!
  • Reply 134 of 138
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I was skeptical from those TS predictions were not good anyway.

In a positive view, I think the fact we did not see the upgrades for Powermacs today is a good thing. Probably we will see that happening at WWDC very soon.

So, Steve Jobs is not going to the stage to announce just a 200mhz increase. I think is going to be a major upgrade. He loves the limelight so believe me, is going to be big.
  • Reply 135 of 138
    I always thought that NAB isn't about Apple hardware announcements but Apple did update the pro-apps. I also agree the TS specs were a bit off and now expect updated

Power Mac's in the coming weeks-perhaps before WWDC (the majority of PMG5's were last updated before the WWDC last year)
  • Reply 136 of 138
    Quote:

Originally posted by Invader Zim

I always thought that NAB isn't about Apple hardware announcements but Apple did update the pro-apps. I also agree the TS specs were a bit off and now expect updated

Power Mac's in the coming weeks-perhaps before WWDC (the majority of PMG5's were last updated before the WWDC last year)

Yes they were, but the the reason for that was because Steve Jobs didn't want to get on stage, and be the first to announce that IBM could not produce the 3GHz processors that IBM , and Apple had proclaimed would be available with in a years time, the year before. Nobody wants to get boo'd at a show like that. That would have ben a huge blow to Steve Jobs. Major loss of face in public.
  • Reply 137 of 138
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Yes they were, but the the reason for that was because Steve Jobs didn't want to get on stage, and be the first to announce that IBM could not produce the 3GHz processors that IBM , and Apple had proclaimed would be available with in a years time, the year before. Nobody wants to get boo'd at a show like that. That would have ben a huge blow to Steve Jobs. Major loss of face in public.

That's true, but I think just a 200mhz increase as TS predict if end up happening will be a major blow for Apple and Steve's keynote. Even if happens few weeks before WWDC.

I think they have something good coming at WWDC for Powermacs and possible "one more thing".
  • Reply 138 of 138
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    http://theinquirer.org/?article=22646

Pricing is probably the issue here or maybe not "At an expected $241, the Pentium D 820 is a bit more expensive than a Pentium 4 at 3.2 GHz. One should be able to cope with the performance impact caused by the slower clock speed since the improvement in multitasking and when using thread-optimized software is tremendous." from tomshardware.

It depends on which one you use, consumer or pro products.

The thing what most of you expect is a dual dual core and that might be a bit too expensive.

This thread hasn't died just yet, NAB is still not over.

Edit: There is an event the 20th, I read somewhere on the forums here, sorry can't quote the source.