2 computers 1 ipod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi all - I'm new to this kind of thing so please bear with me! I have two computers. One ibook and one pc. i have all of my music from my ibook on my ipod but now i want to get the rest of my music from my pc on my ipod too! is this possible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    you can just transfer the iTunes folder from your PC to your iBook and add it to iTunes.

But, your ratings and counting won't get transfered.

That a porblem I have at the moment as well.

I have 2 Macs and 2 very large music collections. Thousands of songs have been rated with love and attention.

I'm trying to find a way to actually merge the two libraries.

any suggestions?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

any suggestions?

I'll have to look into it more, but I think the iTunes library info is stored in an xml format. Which means you should be able to find it and copy it over onto the PC.

May have to experiment when I get home.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    thats true. Nonetheless, let me know how your experience goes
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Doesn't the import command work to get the song rating and number of played times info. I actually have not tried it, but for the import command, you can select to import xml data. If you just imported the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file from your pc it might add it to the rating and played info already on your ibook.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I guess if that doesn't work, you could always just open up both of the xml files (from your pc and your ibook.) And then copy and paste the info from the pc file and add it to the end of the ibooks, xml data file.

The xml file that keeps track of the play count and stuff basically has hundreds of these in it:

<key>1351</key>

<dict>

\t<key>Track ID</key><integer>1351</integer>

\t<key>Name</key><string>Today</string>

\t<key>Artist</key><string>The Smashing Pumpkins</string>

\t<key>Album</key><string>Siamese Dream</string>

\t<key>Genre</key><string>Alt. Rock</string>

\t<key>Play Count</key><integer>11</integer>

\t<key>Play Date</key><integer>-1098602542</integer>

\t<key>Rating</key><integer>100</integer>

\t... (more stuff like this)

</dict>

I'm not sure how well it would work but the idea is that you just gather all of the data into one file.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Good call... I'd forgotten about the import function...

I'll see
  • Reply 7 of 9
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    keeping 2 computers and their itunes libraries synched is the real problem.

perhaps with automator.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ok, i tried it out on a virgin mac.

copy the folders in the iTunes music folder from computer A to the same iTunes folder in computer B. (all the artists)

then copy the XML file iTunes Music Library.xml from computer A to anywhere on computer B

then "import" the xml file. voila'. Saves your ratings... BUT not your play count. You may get some duplicate playlists and the default "smart" playlists.

I can live without that.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    To have music from two computers on one iPod just set the iPod to manual update. Then you can add songs from both iTunes libraries. Just remember, the music from the second computer isn't synched back to the first. If you switch your iPod back to autosync, it will revert to whichever library you set.