TS: New Powermacs likely at NAB 2005

Comments

• Reply 61 of 126
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Im willing to bet that the PM spec rumors are true...2.7 isin't what most of us have in mind as far as where IBM should be at in regards to chip speed, but from all of the dual core hubbub Ive been reading, it sounds like 2.7 may not be all that bad. Ive been waiting to update my G3 300 for quite a long while. I hope...but am not getting my hopes to high, that apple will debut a dual 3.

Someone explain to me in a nut-shell, the ins & outs of dual core
  • Reply 62 of 126
    3:00 A.M. here

Ten more hours to go.

I need a life
  • Reply 63 of 126
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hypoluxa

A dual core chip is two processors on the same chip. There's really not much more to it.
  • Reply 64 of 126
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hypoluxa

The interesting bits are the details.

A dual core chip could be made pin-compatible with current chips. They would not be much bigger physiclaly than a single core chip either.

On the down side this means that both cores would share the same memory bus fighting for bandwidth, but on the upside these chips could be relatively easy dropped into existing motherboard designs.

Therefore most seem to agree that this is the likely design approach for the dual core G5 chips.

Basically it means that if you have an application which is all about data throughput then such a dual core CPU will not dramatically increase your overall speed as the bus is the bottleneck.

But if your application is computationally intensive it could be up to twice as fast as a single core machine - hypothetically. But tests suggest a maximum 80-90% speed increase over a single core CPU, not 100%.

In the end your speed gain all depends on your application and how it is written. It will be somewhere between 0% and 80-90% faster than on a single core CPU with the same clock speed.

The other alternative could be dual core CPUs with two separate memory busses, one for each core. This resolves the bus bottleneck but requires a complete redesign of the motherboard and memory subsystem. Therefore less likely to happen. Unless IBM manages to put a memory controller onto the G5 as well, which would make the motherboard redesign a lot easier. But there are few suggestions this is happening.

If you're not using dual core CPUs you can of course use four single core G5 chips for a quad configuration. But this would require two heat sinks, a much bigger power supply, making PowerMacs likely twice as big as they currently are. Therefore also not likely.
  • Reply 65 of 126
    svinsvin Posts: 30member
    Dual core intel PC's will ship tomorrow, by the way!

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...15_194829.html
  • Reply 66 of 126
    Conference is over!

§¨µ?¶??£?§?`¡¡?¡£¡¡¡??¥???´?? !!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 67 of 126
    no new PowerMacs

:-(
  • Reply 68 of 126
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

Conference is over!

§¨µ?¶??£?§?`¡¡?¡£¡¡¡??¥???´?? !!!!!!!!!

No, Apple's presentation at NAB is over. The conference lasts until the 21st, and last year Apple announced hardware on the Monday following their presentation.
  • Reply 69 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

No, Apple's presentation at NAB is over. The conference lasts until the 21st, and last year Apple announced hardware on the Monday following their presentation.

The NEWS conference is over

pardon me!
  • Reply 70 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

it's okay ... let it go man, just let it go.

*taps shoulder*
  • Reply 71 of 126
    any chance we'll see the "pro" two-button mouse debut with updates to every desktop that ships with a mouse (powermac, imac, emac)?

just a thought...
  • Reply 72 of 126
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg

it's okay ... let it go man, just let it go.

*taps shoulder*

Hey, no one said I was certain that Apple would release hardware during NAB. I just said that the despairing ones should remember what Apple did last year!

edit: 100th post
  • Reply 73 of 126
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I totally doubted Hardware at NAB, and I doubt we'll see anything until WWDC.

BTW, did anyone notice the everything is black in theme. Tiger, FCP, Motion, Shake, DVD Studio Pro, etc,///. Black workstations Maybe? That would be the shiznit!
  • Reply 74 of 126
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    What hardware did Apple update the Monday following their Sunday special event last year? Thanks.
  • Reply 75 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

What hardware did Apple update the Monday following their Sunday special event last year? Thanks.

Powerbook G4 1.33 & 1.5.
  • Reply 76 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I totally doubted Hardware at NAB, and I doubt we'll see anything until WWDC.

BTW, did anyone notice the everything is black in theme. Tiger, FCP, Motion, Shake, DVD Studio Pro, etc,///. Black workstations Maybe? That would be the shiznit!

Ummm, wouldnt they look too much like Dell's? Ugg (shudders)
  • Reply 77 of 126
    i'm happy there are no powermac updates. if think secret was wrong about the timing i'm inclined to believe they're wrong about the specs as well. i'd like to see a bigger jump.
  • Reply 78 of 126
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by corranroh

any chance we'll see the "pro" two-button mouse debut with updates to every desktop that ships with a mouse (powermac, imac, emac)?

just a thought...

Yeah, I'd expect bumped pro machines with HD-DVD burners to coincide with the release of the new apps. I guess we wait 'til Tiger officially ships until we can expect some new stuff.
  • Reply 79 of 126
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave J

Unreasonable rumormongers aside, the facts are that AMD has a desktop dual core announced and soon to ship.

AMD plans to ship desktop dual core cpus by the end of the year.

They announced (the anouncement of) an Opteron 875 (2,2GHz) for a 4 socket server system. Opteron 275 and 175 will follow later.

2,4GHz planned for 2006.

I'm sooo impressed
  • Reply 80 of 126
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

i'm happy there are no powermac updates. if think secret was wrong about the timing i'm inclined to believe they're wrong about the specs as well. i'd like to see a bigger jump.

You seem to forget that NAB runs until the 21st. There's plenty of time left for new Power Mac G5s.