how many total iPods in circulation?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
just curious, I was talking to someone today and couldn't quite come up with a number... how many TOTAL iPods are in circulation as of April 2005?

Cheers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    I have 2 (inc shuffle)

and my wife has 1

so that's 3 for a start

Seriously

I have 20,000,000 in my head but that's just a number I came up with I have nothing to back it up.

j.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    I just checked this out...weird, but at the keynote, Steve said they crossed the 10 millionth iPod that quarter; I checked the first quarter of 05, and it was like 4.38 million , then wednesday's release said like 5.3 million, so that is just short of 20 million, if not right at 20 by sometime soon, so yeah, whatever was posted above me was right!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubs23

I just checked this out...weird, but at the keynote, Steve said they crossed the 10 millionth iPod that quarter; I checked the first quarter of 05, and it was like 4.38 million , then wednesday's release said like 5.3 million, so that is just short of 20 million, if not right at 20 by sometime soon, so yeah, whatever was posted above me was right!

Yes 10 million + 4.38 million + 5. 3million = creaping up on 20 million

Keep in mind that part of the "5.3 million" are Shuffles

I don't know if you wanted hard drive based iPods only ?

No one outside of Apple really knows that number

As far as hard drive based iPods (iPod mini, iPod, iPod photo) I say they are around 17.5 Million at this point
  • Reply 4 of 4
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    15 million, fools. </Mr. T> The 4.38 million was the first fiscal quarter which ended in January and was already reflected in the 10 million announcement.