ED discount

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Can I get the educational pricing for osx tiger at bestbuy, I ask because I have a stuid gift card to spend, I would rather get rid of the giftcard than shell out all the cash...but if not, I will order the OS tonight...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    No. ED discount is only good through apple.com
  • Reply 2 of 17
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

No. ED discount is only good through apple.com

And all apple retail stores and your campus reseller..
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Will Best Buy sell OS X Tiger?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by football751

Yes. Of course.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by football751

I would say almost definitely, especially since they are not selling Mac minis.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Well, I am ready...card in hand...ready to order this - sight unseen...this is the most expenciove thing that I have ever bought without seeing it in person (like in a friends computer)...and being on a limited budghet I have some jitters...but here goes nothing...
  • Reply 7 of 17
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Well, I am ready...card in hand...ready to order this - sight unseen...this is the most expenciove thing that I have ever bought without seeing it in person (like in a friends computer)...and being on a limited budghet I have some jitters...but here goes nothing...

I think you'll be pleased with the purchase.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

I think you'll be pleased with the purchase.

how does Apple online check student status? I am a student - have an ID and such but this is an online thing: do they call the school?

update: Order Placed...will arrive on/befor the 29th <gulp> It looks amazing, I ghope I am not disappointed - but I just keep telling myself that on top of all the bugfixes and system level updates, the software to come even close to dashboard and spotligt would be well more than $70 so I am sort of getting a bargin...
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

how does Apple online check student status? I am a student - have an ID and such but this is an online thing: do they call the school?

Actually they have this crazy idea.... it's called Trust. Everybody should do it... but almost nobody does these days.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Actually they have this crazy idea.... it's called Trust. Everybody should do it... but almost nobody does these days.

cool, just another reason for this windows guy to like mac and apple as a whole
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

And all apple retail stores and your campus reseller..

Someone told me the Apple retail stores only allow education discounts on hardware. Is that true?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    mersmers Posts: 3member
    Last I heard, educational discounts are only given on hardware in stores, not software. I hear that if you order online with a student discount, you need to have a university domain name or a mailing address. Otherwise you're subject to being audited. Whether or not this is true, I don't know. This is a rumour site after all...
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by mers

I hear that if you order online with a student discount, you need to have a university domain name or a mailing address. Otherwise you're subject to being audited. Whether or not this is true, I don't know. This is a rumour site after all...

That last part is definitely not true, I've gotten the student discount online many times using excite, yahoo email address. But I do believe you on the first part about edu discounts on hardware only for retail stores.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

update: Order Placed...will arrive on/befor the 29th <gulp> It looks amazing, I ghope I am not disappointed - but I just keep telling myself that on top of all the bugfixes and system level updates, the software to come even close to dashboard and spotligt would be well more than $70 so I am sort of getting a bargin...

Yep... don't forget all the other smaller improvements as well. Things like Slideshows from mail, saving image directly from Safari to iPhoto, inline PDF viewing in Safari, etc.

Also, since developers get to extend and integrate with Spotlight, expect apps like Quicksilver to become more feature rich.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    mersmers Posts: 3member
    Quote:

I hear that if you order online with a student discount, you need to have a university domain name or a mailing address. Otherwise you're subject to being audited.

Quote:

Originally posted by yikes600

That last part is definitely not true, I've gotten the student discount online many times using excite, yahoo email address. But I do believe you on the first part about edu discounts on hardware only for retail stores.

I said subject to being audited. Because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it's not true.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

I said subject to being audited. Because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it's not true.

They might request you fax a copy of your student ID, but I'd hardly call that an audit.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

If his GF has no card, he could have her call and do a cheque over the phone...