Apple following M$ lead

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just went to Apples site and was taking a look at Tiger and I found somthing intersting.

"After registering your copy of Tiger, you can start enjoying your new operating system. Spotlight search, cool Dashboard widgets, Safari RSS and over 200 more new features await."

Just like XP. I dont blame them for it just making a note about it. You must register your copy of Tiger before you can use it, it would seem.

I found this here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/

under "30 minutes to a new mac."

Keep clicking on the next link till you get to step 6

Bootlegers are going to hate this. I myself have no problem with this, except for the fact I purchased my copy no leave me alone. But I do understand that Apple has to do something.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Well, this may not be what you think. M$ has you Register AND Activate. When you buy a new iPod, you register it with Apple to get support, fixes, etc. When you install Panther, it asks for you name, address, phone number, etc. to register it. I don't this is like M$ activation, where thye give you a key and they check to make sure that key hasn't been used too many times. So, I don't think we have anything to worry about. This registration should just be like registering any other Apple product. (https://register.apple.com/cgi-bin/W...GlobaliReg.woa)
  • Reply 2 of 18
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    This could be the usual registration screen that always appears with a new operating system install... and if you've already registered you can Command-Quit to skip it.

Now I haven't seen Tiger, so I can't confirm it's any different.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    There's no mention of serial numbers. I think you're jumping the gun.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I like how with 1 minute (8:52-8:53 GMT -6), three people posted saying basically the exact same thing

The wonders of the internet
  • Reply 5 of 18
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    I have never seen this before

"After registering your copy of Tiger, you can start enjoying your new operating system."

on apples information of it's software.

Not to say they have not posted something like this before, just seem like there stating that after you register then you can start using it.

Like I said I have no problem with activating a product I just think it might be a little to much of an invasion to register.

With XP you have to activate but you do not have to register the OS.

Beside it was just an observation on my part.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Yah, almost makes it sound like you have to register. Odd. Maybe they won't use a key, but instead make you register it and record some information about you Mac, so that you can only register it on that one and you have to register.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    This also makes me wonder that at some point with this type registration could they be working it for a free first year with .mac to get you hooked and dependant on it and then hit you with the yearly subscription.

Could it also be a set up to make this mandatory in the next couple of years? So many times I have seen companies do this type of scam. Start them out slow and work your way in.

I am more than likely wrong about this but I never thought I would see a headless Mac for $500.00 either. Or a Unix OS in the mainstream for consumers.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Personally I think Apple "should" serialize the OS. A lot of engineers worked long and hard hours to develop OS X and other applications. They deserve to be compensated for their efforts.

I've seen a cavalier attitude develop where many Mac user bootleg the OS. Now that Apple has a Family Pack I don't see the problem with serializing the OS. Need more than one upgrade to OS X. Grab the FP and you're set for up to 5. Microsoft isn't giving you this option.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

This could be the usual registration screen that always appears with a new operating system install...

It is.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Bootlegging the OS is dubious I agree BUT

The "stolen" os has to run on Apple hardware. This is why Apple do not serialize their OS there is no need for them to do so.

The engineers have worked long and hard to create the OS but the revenue generated is just an extra revenue stream for Apple to help the R&D budget.

Apple is a HARDWARE company that's where they make their money and why they produce such kick ass Operating systems. To sell the computers not the software.

J.

(my copy will be in the post from apple next week some time hopefully )
  • Reply 11 of 18
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DGNR8

I just went to Apples site and was taking a look at Tiger and I found somthing intersting.

"After registering your copy of Tiger, you can start enjoying your new operating system. Spotlight search, cool Dashboard widgets, Safari RSS and over 200 more new features await."

Just like XP. I dont blame them for it just making a note about it. You must register your copy of Tiger before you can use it, it would seem.

I found this here:

Keep clicking on the next link till you get to step 6

Bootlegers are going to hate this. I myself have no problem with this, except for the fact I purchased my copy no leave me alone. But I do understand that Apple has to do something.

Register!=activate - I remember registering software 15 years ago - with a post card!

activation is the freaky part, I dont see Apple going there because macos piracy is next to nonexistant because it it so tightly tied to hardware
  • Reply 12 of 18
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnrp

(my copy will be in the post from apple next week some time hopefully )

Same here, when you order with EDU discount, do you get the whole retail box+manuals+whatever else is in there or just a DVD?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DGNR8

I found this here:

That's nothing - it's with every release. You know when you install, and then have to restart your computer and you go through the set-up assistant? That's what that is - you just quit and move on.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Same here, when you order with EDU discount, do you get the whole retail box+manuals+whatever else is in there or just a DVD?

It is the same exact software, just cheaper. I ordered the EDU iLife, and it was exactly like the regular one. With iWork, the only difference was that it had a sticker that said Acedemic License
  • Reply 15 of 18
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    This is the worst thing about waiting for new Apple anything. People looking for something to complain about.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I heard that when Tiger is delivered to your doorstep, a security guard accompanied by an angry tiger will force you to register and activate your new copy of Mac OS X. Failing to do so will result in being mauled by the tiger.

On a more serious note, I have never knew the Mac OS to ever follow the activation scheme similar to XP. I don't know why they would start now.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

That's nothing - it's with every release. You know when you install, and then have to restart your computer and you go through the set-up assistant? That's what that is - you just quit and move on.

Alternatively you can go through the set up assistant while not being connected to the internet. The OS will save the registration in a file that you can use to send the registration to apple later on.

Since I have a stupid Belkin Wireless Router that has to have a hex encryption key, I am unable to configure my computer for internet use through the setup wizard, so I always fill it out and send it later, unless this is the x'th time I've installed the OS though. I like to do clean backups and installs once in a while and see no point in re-registering it with apple.

My copy will come with the next ADC Mailing I suppose.. wonder if they will mail it so that its here on the 29th or mail it on the 29th...

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I've registered each version of OS X I've installed on my machines. If you ever done an install you'd have been prompted to register as well.

ps - the edu version is the same as full retail with the exception of cost.