• Reply 83 of 126
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Were did you hear that?

Yeah, where did you hear that?
  • Reply 84 of 126
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    It was in the last ADC mailings that came out.

Thanks to Eug Wanker's keen eyes

http://everythingapple.blogspot.com/...-on-april.html
  • Reply 85 of 126
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

It was in the last ADC mailings that came out.

Thanks to Eug Wanker's keen eyes

http://everythingapple.blogspot.com/...-on-april.html

Does not look like anything to go crazy about. I am willing to bet new hardware towards the end of this month, if at all. WWDC will be the show case. Sadly. Apple needs something at WWDC to make the media go crazy and everyone already knows about Tiger.
  • Reply 86 of 126
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    The description sounds innocuous enough.

Given Apple's penchant for suing people, I can't see them showing off pre-production machines to a group of... broadcasting guys? Nor can I see them introducing new machines, unless Uncle Steve cuts the price to the point that even the hardest-core blockhead broadcast engineer has no choice but to make his station an all-Mac shop. I think now that the chance of seeing new Apple hardware at NAB is slim to none.

Broadcast organizations are notoriously gossipy, and any news of a next-generation PM or PB would be splattered over the net as soon as these guys got home.

What I do seeing Apple doing at this event is a lab showing these guys how to use PMs, Xserves, and Xsan to make their lives easier.

Apple's success with broadcasters overseas will also be brought to the forefront, methinks.

The head of Associated Press's technical development staff is violently anti-Mac, so I doubt this seminar has anything to do with ENPS integration.
  • Reply 87 of 126
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Does not look like anything to go crazy about. I am willing to bet new hardware towards the end of this month, if at all. WWDC will be the show case. Sadly.

After the new TS report, it looks more and more likely that Apple will finally release the new Power Macs a few days before WWDC. Like last year.

Quote:

Apple needs something at WWDC to make the media go crazy and everyone already knows about Tiger.

Having TS with a second report confirming the first one (2.7 GHz 970FX max.), I doubt that we will see any surprise.
  • Reply 88 of 126
    The latest report from TS sound quite plausible, but unfortunately also very underwhelming. I hope Apple will lower the prices to sweeten the deal. Else it's nothing but a simple 0.2GHz speed increase (probably not notisable at all).

Oh well, I need a new Power Mac soon so I guess I will be buying any way (probably going for the middle model (2.3GHz if rumors are to be believed))

\
  • Reply 89 of 126
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    If the updates are as modest as Think Secret suggests then there will be no 'special event'. Apple just puts speed bump news out as a press release.

Am I the only one think there is something strange going on here with TS?
  • Reply 90 of 126
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

Am I the only one think there is something strange going on here with TS?

not sure what you're thinking, but my first instinct from today's update (weak specs) was that this "leak" might be just misinfo on apple's part.

1) an attempt to flush out a leak conduit.

2) an attempt to simply embarrass thinksecret via inaccurate info.

my logic:

- why would apple even bother with such an "upgrade" when it seemed so minor after a year's wait?

- does such an update seem likely, when there is so much gossip about *much* more impressive techs being available in near future. eg: 970MP, PCI-E, etc...

- if the macbidouille report on inventory backlog is correct, have the retailers just made bad calculations? or is apple really planning to wait til WDC to release a serious upgrade?

of course, we have no way of knowing, but given the recent rumor site lawsuits, i wouldn't be surprised if this is just a set-up.
  • Reply 91 of 126
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

not sure what you're thinking, but my first instinct from today's update (weak specs) was that this "leak" might be just misinfo on apple's part.

Except that someone always posts this little conspiracy theory, every time. And ThinkSecret almost always turns out to be correct...
  • Reply 92 of 126
    Quote:

Except that someone always posts this little conspiracy theory, every time. And ThinkSecret almost always turns out to be correct...

It's all so much simpler than a conspiracy theory......Unfortunately, I think we've all been jinks?d by MOSR.....I'm pretty much of the opinion that whatever they say the opposite will happen. Well they're claiming, "We continue to believe that a quad-processor Macintosh is imminent". So TS's disappointing predictions fall well in line with what MOSR is saying.
  • Reply 93 of 126
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

agreed on the conspiracy theory prevalence. but in this case, does it make any sense for apple to release such weak updates after a year of wait? they risk being ridiculed, especially with AMD going dual core presently and PC vendors offering PCIe.

if it were me, i'd just wait until i had at least one compelling gadget to add in. and from the general rumor mill, it seems like such should avail over the next few months.

only time will tell, as it always does...
  • Reply 94 of 126
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    I guess what I am saying is that Apple will not make any song and dance about the G5 until the new motherboard (multiprocessors, PCI Express etc) yet there seems to be an expectation of an event at NAB building. TS has always been extremely accurate and Nick clearly has an inside; yet they are willing to divulge while Apple black-ops are all over their case? I'm not a believer in conspiracy theories but something doesn't seem right.

I'm betting on a simple speed bump across the board after NAB with new G5 configurations in September.
  • Reply 95 of 126
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    It's amazing how many people are whining because what TS is predicting.

They just got a wrong prediction about Powermacs at NAB. How come now they come up with some new prediction and people are just going crazy about it? Doesn't make any sense. I know TS record is not bad but come on, it's just a rumor.

TS sources are probably under the gun by Apple lawsuits. Anybody who wants to keep their jobs at Apple and want to avoid any lawsuits are not saying anything to TS.

If we don't see any upgrade before WWDC it may be a good thing, I doubt Steve Jobs is going to deliver his keynote for a pathetic 200mhz update on the Powermac front.

His ego is too big to get booed at his keynote. If indeed Powermacs will be upgrade at WWDC is going to be a major one. I guess we just have now to expect upgrades once a year. Maybe it's a new rule for Apple Powermacs.

\
  • Reply 96 of 126
    How were they wrong at NAB?

NAB isnt over until Thursday.. nice wishful thinking though
  • Reply 97 of 126
    If all we get is the exact mobo with a 200MHz upgrade, I'm going to be pretty disappointed, to say the least.

The new Blackmagic Multibridge looks delicious, but requires PCI-E for HD.

I know Think Secret is almost always on the ball, but this time I'm really hoping that they've been duped. FCP would really love those cores, to say nothing of Motion 2.
  • Reply 98 of 126
    I didn't honestly expect to see a NEW PowerMac until WWDC

but seeing this today would anger and frustrate even the most

loyal Apple user.

We can speculate all we want and try to make some sense of why

Apple does what they do sometimes,

but right now, I feel SO totally let down by Apple.

http://www.alienware.com/intro_pages/intel_955x.aspx
  • Reply 99 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

1) an attempt to flush out a leak conduit.

2) an attempt to simply embarrass thinksecret via inaccurate info.

my logic:

- why would apple even bother with such an "upgrade" when it seemed so minor after a year's wait?

I agree. I call bullshit as well.

200MHz + dual-layer + bigger drives + more RAM could have been done 6 months ago. Apple *is* doing more to flush out leaks - I suspect the Tiger GM supplier just lost his job, for instance.

No way Apple is going almost a full year for such an anemic update. Dual dual-core 2.7GHz CPUs I could buy, but not dual 970FX. No way - not when both Apple and IBM have inadvertently confirmed that better chips are out there.
  • Reply 100 of 126
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'll only buy a dual-core AMD based system. The Intel dual-Core system is inferior.