iDVD hangs at "Encoding Audio" phase

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
iDVD seems to get through generating menus and encoding video just fine, but as soon as I get to the "Encoding Audio" phase of burning a DVD... it's the Spinning Rainbow Vortex of Death, and nothing more.

Any one else seen this? Any hints about how to get around it?

I'm trying to turn an old Laserdisc into a DVD, and this is my first real use of iMovie and iDVD. I updated to iLife 5 yesterday to make sure I had the latest and supposedly greatest. So far, I'm less than impressed. I've run into a number of things that seemed clunky, not very intuitive, and lacking in the kind of GUI refinement that I expect from an Apple product.

Then the solid hang of iDVD, which my effort to fix will, I'd be willing to bet, likely lead to me throwing out my whole project and starting over yet again -- for the third time -- leaves me less than impressed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Apparently if I wait long enough -- like about 20 minutes -- iDVD comes back to life (iLife?). It's burning now... wonder how it will turn out?

I really wanted to replace the audio on this laserdisc (Kate Bush - The Whole Story) with ripped-from-CD audio of the same music. (Although the laserdisc has digital audio, when they mastered this laserdisc they unfortunately re-digitized analog audio from hissy-sound analog video masters, rather than going back to better-quality audio master tapes.)

iMovie is unfortunately too blunt an instrument for such an operation. This little project is hardly worth running out and spending the money to get Final Cut, however.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Apparently if I wait long enough -- like about 20 minutes -- iDVD comes back to life (iLife?). It's burning now... wonder how it will turn out?

Rendering is takeing its time. Patience is recommended.

There are a lot of different factors, that

defines the length of rendering.

--

lenght of one particular project

seize of source material

speed of proc.

complexity

etc pp