Adobe acquires Macromedia

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I hope they kill Flash and it dies a horrible death.

God I hate Flash.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Yes, a sad day!!

I don't see Adobe as the MS of the Studio though...it is the Xerox for the 21st Century. It is doing what Xerox could have done in the 1980's as "the document" company. If pdf's were at all optimized better in Windows (MS wouldn't allow that) and the Mac, then IT would be THE document company in 5 years. Instead it will use the defacto proprietary standard cards that Apple helped them get, to trump anything else that comes. So I guess using MS tactics in the Xerox world.

I wish Apple would have done this as well. It would have brought greater balance to the creative community among the three sphere's of MS, Adobe and Apple. Now it is an unbalanced chaotic pattern with three attractors of MS, Adobe and Apple and I doubt even Adobe knows what will happen.

As for Apple ramping up anti-Adobe apps, I'd have to say that would be a very bad thing and create another world with an ironwall between the two platforms and no one in business needs that.

So the free market system reverberates again where consolidation actually hurts the market and the consumer and choice grows less and less. Thanks Reaganomics. (I'm not encouraging political debate, I'm just lamenting the state of the industry.)
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

God I hate Flash.

God can't help you now.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    mrsparklemrsparkle Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

not totally true. although there was an investigation by the ftc, there was a clause between aldus and altsys ( the original developer of freehand) that development and marketing must be continued with freehand. altsys sued adobe and eventually freehand turned back over to altsys whom eventually sold it to macromedia.

I didn't realize that. Regardless, I think it would be a monopoly, and I think the ftc would see it that way, as well.

It looks like a case where bundling freehand with other software could bite them in the ass. Their marketshare will appear higher than it really is.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Well it looks like Apple better buy Corel or at least Painter or something and utilize the code to keep a skunkworks project under wraps lest Adobe use its newfound might to squash Apple's graphics hope.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Think outside the box guys. The only reason these companies can maintain a grip on the market without improving their software is if people don't want to try other software.

I know you all want a new-improved version of your favorite apps, but I'd rather have FCP than an improved Premiere. The problem is you can't envision the next FCP-like product which will (hopefully) kick Adobe in the balls.

If artists were more flexible concerning their application fixations, the Adobe borg model wouldn't work. In fact, this may backfire. Isn't Adobe in the hole?

As for my fixations, I hate Illustrator. Thankfully Deneba Canvas still works.

(as for the FTC...I say tell them to keep the hell out of Silion Valley! More programmers, less lawyers.)
  • Reply 47 of 57
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

This is what I think the CS3 lineup will be:

Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Imageready - incorporating some Fireworks features

Adobe InDesign

Adobe Illustrator - incorporating any Freehand features not now in Illustrator

Adobe Acrobat

Adobe Flash - new Adobeized interface

Adobe Dreamweaver (yes, thats right) - completely rewritten with a new Adobeized interface, many GoLive features (such as the layout grid) incorporated

Other Apps:

Adobe Director

Adobe Contribute

Adobe ColdFusion (not part of CS3)

Adobe Flash Player (my guess would be that this probably why Adobe bought MM more than any other reason)

The handwriting has been on the wall for quite some time as far as SVG is concerned. The installed user base for the plugin pales in comparison to the Flash user base. I fully expect Adobe to discontinue their SVG support once Flash becomes theirs.

Just my 2?

Dropping SVG is brain dead and Adobe won't even touch that. They are playing a major role with SVG Tiny (Mobile) and SVG1.2 Full Spec.

CS2 integrates Opera 8 into the Suite.

Opera 8 was released today.

Opera 8 has SVG tiny built-in.

Apple and many other houses are crafting the SVG 1.2 Full Specification.

Macromedia has a few architects on the specification.

Combining forces will only accelerate the SVG 1.2 Full specification.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I heard somewhere that Mac sales of CS account for 45-50% of total sales still. I can't see them giving Mac the finger and losing half their base.

Not sure what the actual percentage is, but I can't see Adobe doing anything drastic. Perhaps not continuing on with some lesser known Macromedia products, but certainly they're not going to kill the CS suite anytime soon.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    As a user of a wide range of both Adobe and Macromedia products, this completely blew me away. I can see only two outcomes from this:

A. Adobe continues production of Macromedia software under the Adobe name, and moves to integrate it into existiong Adobe apps

B. Adobe rebrands Flash and ditches the rest of Macromedia Studio

I think the second would be a crying shame. Dreamweaver is a great app, and Fireworks has some unique features. Adobe would be wise to take the user friendly, easy to navigate design of Macromedia apps and some of the unique features to improve their software. In either case, it opens up a window for Apple.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    This should be in the Adobe/Macromedia merger thread.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=53148
  • Reply 51 of 57
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    I guess when you can no longer compete neck to neck you strangle the beast and take over the heard.

This truly shocks me. I would never have thought Adobe going to this level.

With Macromedia's focus on web, will Adobe sell, or spin off it's video programs? Seems rather silly to keep around three programs when the rest of Adobe, and now Macromedia outweighing into the creative web avenue. Adobe has been trying to make a larger push into the creative web market more and more. Adobe would have to work pretty hard to get close to or surpass Apple in their latest video offerings.

I do not see Apple stepping up to compete, though with CoreImage they may inspire a small company to get the ball rolling on a new breed of applications.

I see the market looking like this....

Microsoft:Office

Apple:Video

Adobe:Web & Print

Only time will tell.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Dropping SVG is brain dead and Adobe won't even touch that. They are playing a major role with SVG Tiny (Mobile) and SVG1.2 Full Spec.

CS2 integrates Opera 8 into the Suite.

Opera 8 was released today.

Opera 8 has SVG tiny built-in.

Apple and many other houses are crafting the SVG 1.2 Full Specification.

Macromedia has a few architects on the specification.

Combining forces will only accelerate the SVG 1.2 Full specification.

I hadnt realized that SVG was being taken in this direction... Interesting...

But as far as SVG making a significant impact on the general web market, I think that time has passed. I truely thought that SVG had the potential to revolutionize web design a number of years back, if only support had been built into all of the mainstream browsers. But sadly not one single browser in the last 6 or 7 years has pushed through new graphic formats. Just think of what SVG or JPEG2000 could have done! (I sincerely hope JPEG2000 gains support soon, but I fear licensing will get in the way of it making a significant impact)
  • Reply 53 of 57
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

for all of you who think this sucks, ponder this; what if it was microsoft that had purchased macromedia instead of adobe.

ah, but now ponder this... doesn't this merger make it easier for microsoft to come swooping in, say, 3 years and buy out all of those assets at once?
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

ah, but now ponder this... doesn't this merger make it easier for microsoft to come swooping in, say, 3 years and buy out all of those assets at once?

not unless the whole becomes greater than the sum of its two parts, which i think in this case might be more than likely. it's a gamble, to be sure, but i don't see ms giving them much choice under the circumstances. besides, if there are no antitrust issues regarding adobe - macromedia acquisition, there would certainly would be some major concerns if ms bought the new adobe.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    I guess they're merging Illustrator and Freehand, and arecoming out with a new Vector-Based program called "Adobe Frustrator"
  • Reply 56 of 57
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

I guess they're merging Illustrator and Freehand, and arecoming out with a new Vector-Based program called "Adobe Frustrator"

That's the cleverest thing i've read in these forums.

I knew Adobe wanted to expand more into web products but, Wow.

With CS1 going like crazy, CS2 coming out and now this.

Adobe seems like it has got a firm grip on publishing for the next few years.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Adobe seems like it has got a firm grip on publishing for the next few years.

I don't understand this mentality. Beyond Photoshop, what Adobe product doesn't have (practical) equivalents?

(Well I guess Flash MX, now that they bought Macromedia)

Anyway, nobody is going to upgrade unless the new apps are better than the old ones. This won't completely retard innovation.