Any one else waiting for an imac rev b?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

I was originally just going to go buy an imac but then I heard that tiger was coming so I waited and then I heard that the rev b was coming and I?m waiting.

I hope that thinksecret report is correct, there normally dead on.

Any one got any news .ect

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Many are waiting, yes. I'm one of them. I've got a 1st gen G4 iMac that's barely getting me by.

I'm hoping to see a 128MB GPU and a slight speed bump to last me another few years. All the better if they throw together some faster, newer, shinier stuff, but I mostly need modern specs.

I check in every few days, especially Monday and Tuesday. At least now I'm assured of Tiger
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I'm also waiting for revb-imac-G5s. I had a G3-233 MHz a year ago, since then no computer at home at all, so I'm definetively in the market for one.

I think the rumored specs of the imac-G5's are great: 512 MB-Ram-standard, ATI-Radeon-9600 with 128 MB (finally a good graphiccard for imacs), dual-layer-DVD-burners and up to 2 GHz-G5's and Tiger preinstalled as well as i-life and iworks, just perfect for me.

I think they will be released early may, if God will.

When they finally come out, I will get the middle-one and buy Nisus-Writer and a monochrome laserprinter from HP on top of it, if God will.

Nightcrawler
  • Reply 3 of 20
    jwmjwm Posts: 15member
    Me 3 and it'll be may first Mac
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Guilty as charged, your majesty...
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fitzy55

I was originally just going to go buy an imac but then I heard that tiger was coming so I waited and then I heard that the rev b was coming and I?m waiting.

I hope that thinksecret report is correct, there normally dead on.

Any one got any news .ect

Don't have any news for ya', Fitzy, but I'm in the same boat. PowerMacs are way out of my price range, so iMacs are my solution. My main complaint with my 800-mhz flat panel iMac is the lack of GPU horsepower. Sounds like a 128 MB Radeon 9600 is in the works.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    No, but my sister is...
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I've been anxiously awaiting for awhile now. Thought I was going to have to wait for June to have both Tiger and the iMac revision, but now hopefully, it's only a couple of more weeks.

chuckiep
  • Reply 8 of 20
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nightcrawler

I think the rumored specs of the imac-G5's are great: 512 MB-Ram-standard, ATI-Radeon-9600 with 128 MB (finally a good graphiccard for imacs)...

If you talk about the TS rumor that the eMacs and iMacs will get all a Radeon 9600, I don't know what to say. If the TS report is proved true, the only Apple machine with nVidia graphics in its standard configuration will be the Powerbook 12". Why Apple would or should abandon (almost) completely nVidia? It doesn't make sense.

I really hope Apple continue to use nVidia chips in the iMac with a BTO for a Geforce 6200 at least (not the TurboCache version).
  • Reply 9 of 20
    I'm in a sticky spot....

On one hand..... I have nice LCDs and don't want to waste money on a iMac because of this.. but the MacMini is just way to underpowered... and the towers are way too expensive. I generally hold that if I am going to spend *all* that money then I might as well get an iMac....

So what to do? What I need is a ProMini. (maybe larger form factor).... oh wait.. that would be a cube..... \
  • Reply 10 of 20
    mat79mat79 Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Why Apple would or should abandon (almost) completely nVidia? It doesn't make sense.

I heard that nVidia Chips are a lot hotter than the ATI Versions. (at least my PC ATI 9600 Pro has a very small fan compared to the older Geforce 4 Ti 4200)
  • Reply 11 of 20
    I'm waiting as well, have been for the past few months. I drool at the 20 inch imacs everytime I go to the Apple store.

I've been a PC person all my life save for one graphite iBook back in 2000 that was bought for convenience, not necessity.

My four year old Dell laptop is still going strong, but I grow tired of it
  • Reply 12 of 20
    neilwneilw Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

I'm in a sticky spot....

On one hand..... I have nice LCDs and don't want to waste money on a iMac because of this.. but the MacMini is just way to underpowered... and the towers are way too expensive. I generally hold that if I am going to spend *all* that money then I might as well get an iMac....

So what to do? What I need is a ProMini. (maybe larger form factor).... oh wait.. that would be a cube..... \

Welcome to the cavernous hole in Apple's product line. I can personally attest that Apple has lost sales because of this. However, it is unclear whether they have an interest in filling this hole. The single-processor PowerMac was a half-assed attempt at best (more like quarter-assed).

I'm glad they chose to make the mini, but the gap between the mini and the PowerMac is almost comical.

One option for you is to get a used G4 PowerMac. you can upgrade those things to be pretty speedy.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think the new iMac Rev. B should have Bluetooth and Airport Extreme standard, as well as 512 MB of RAM (w/o increasing the price).
  • Reply 14 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I'm eyeballing the RevB iMac 17" as well.

I need something that can run video and the iMac should be able to do that.

I do wish that Apple would add Gigabit ethernet though. Today any PC over $1000 is likely to have Gigabit because the cost premium over Fast Ethernet is inconsequential really.

I wish Apple was a bit more agressive on the price as well. Man we've had the G5 now for a year and I'm thinking that a 2Ghz iMac would be a nice area and 2.2Ghz for the 20" model.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'm eyeballing the RevB iMac 17" as well.

I need something that can run video and the iMac should be able to do that.

I do wish that Apple would add Gigabit ethernet though. Today any PC over $1000 is likely to have Gigabit because the cost premium over Fast Ethernet is inconsequential really.

Agreed. When the graphite G4 was Apple's first machine to have GigE, it was understandable that it would differentiate the Powermacs from the rest of their line. Now, with even cheap motherboards on the other side of the fence coming with GigE, it's silly for Apple to think that they can use it to differentiate "pro" from "consumer" machines any more.

Quote:

I wish Apple was a bit more agressive on the price as well. Man we've had the G5 now for a year and I'm thinking that a 2Ghz iMac would be a nice area and 2.2Ghz for the 20" model.

I agree on this, too, although I think the rumored 1.8 & 2.0 are fine, so long as they're accompanied by a $100 - $200 cut in price across the board.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Realistically, when can we get our hands on a new updated iMac? I need one but don't want to get this version. Any ideas on a timeframe for release?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Green

Realistically, when can we get our hands on a new updated iMac? I need one but don't want to get this version. Any ideas on a timeframe for release?

August-September I would say, though the TS reports seem to indicate otherwise.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Looks like you might not have to wait long for those revised iMacs. All models are now showing 5-7 day shipping delays on the US Apple website!
  • Reply 19 of 20
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 643member
    Quote:

I'm also waiting for revb-imac-G5s. I had a G3-233 MHz a year ago, since then no computer at home at all, so I'm definetively in the market for one.

I think the rumored specs of the imac-G5's are great: 512 MB-Ram-standard, ATI-Radeon-9600 with 128 MB (finally a good graphiccard for imacs), dual-layer-DVD-burners and up to 2 GHz-G5's and Tiger preinstalled as well as i-life and iworks, just perfect for me.

I think they will be released early may, if God will.

When they finally come out, I will get the middle-one and buy Nisus-Writer and a monochrome laserprinter from HP on top of it, if God will.

Nightcrawler

Feels somewhat creepy to reply to oneself, but the rumored specs of Think-Secret were dead-on-right! Ok, it doesn't have iworks included as I thought but the rest matches perfectly, even the graphiccard and the time of release.

I'm so happy and I will buy the middle-one of the imacs because of the DVD-burner, as soon as I get the money together, I guess in about two weeks or in a month at the latest, if God wills.

Nightcrawler
  • Reply 20 of 20
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Ok, it doesn't have iworks included as I thought (...)

Actually, it does. It is just a 30 day trail. I wonder if they offer a discounted upgrade option.