Apple To Use Combo FireWire/USB Cables

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
[quote]MacWhispers

March 06 2003

Apple To Use Combo FireWire/USB Cables

On Wednesday, we were told by a source within one of Apple's OEM cable suppliers that they are "starting production" of "cables that have both FireWire and USB" in the same molding.

Further information is that these cables "terminate as PC-Board leads on one end, and break out into both FireWire and USB plugs on the other end"; and, they are white in color. We have not been able to establish the length of the new cables, nor their purpose.<hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/archives/000045.php"; target="_blank">MacWhispers</a>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Is it all possible? And why would they need it?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    [quote]Originally posted by costique:

<strong>Is it all possible? And why would they need it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

and is it fw800 and usb2 or fw400 and usb1.1?
  • Reply 3 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by costique:

<strong>Is it all possible? And why would they need it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Possible yes. Maybe to have a single wire to the screen, so that future Apple displays might act as firewire/usb hubs?
  • Reply 4 of 39
    walrusjbwalrusjb Posts: 34member
    If it were to the displays, it would likely be an ADC revision. I'm thinking the cord to the keyboard is gonna be revised so we'll have both USB and FW on the keyboard - right out front for most purposes.

And/or this is another piece of the fabled new device and they want to add as much flexability in the connectivity department as possible as it won't be a staggered Mac first Pc later release...

Could be anything, really.

(edit - me spell guud)

[ 03-06-2003: Message edited by: walrusjb ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 39
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I was thinking the same thing. Having a Firewire port on the keyboard would be very useful.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I like the idea of these being monitor cables...maybe Apple has finally realized that ADC was a bad idea, and these new cables will be used in conjunction with Apple's new DVI monitors? With the new monitor pricing in place, I'm sure PC users are drooling over these things...but ADC? Not a very 'open' standard now is it?
  • Reply 7 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by 709:

<strong>I like the idea of these being monitor cables...maybe Apple has finally realized that ADC was a bad idea, and these new cables will be used in conjunction with Apple's new DVI monitors? With the new monitor pricing in place, I'm sure PC users are drooling over these things...but ADC? Not a very 'open' standard now is it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Except ADC is a great idea, and it is a standard. It's just that Apple is the only one using it.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>

Except ADC is a great idea, and it is a standard. It's just that Apple is the only one using it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Um, if you're the only one using it, I don't think it is a standard. It is your spec. I was a fan of ADC until I tried to upgrade a clients video card. Lets just say the options were limited at the time (no ADC card available, just convertor).

If ADC were a standard, then I'd dig it.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>

Except ADC is a great idea, and it is a standard. It's just that Apple is the only one using it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ADC is a standard? I guess I didn't realize that. 'Apple Display Connector' just sounded a wee bit more proprietary than 'Digital Video Interface' (sanctioned by the DDWG...IIRC). Maybe that's just me.

[edit]: DDWG = Digital Display Working Group

[ 03-06-2003: Message edited by: 709 ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by blue2kdave:

<strong>

Um, if you're the only one using it, I don't think it is a standard. It is your spec. I was a fan of ADC until I tried to upgrade a clients video card. Lets just say the options were limited at the time (no ADC card available, just convertor).

If ADC were a standard, then I'd dig it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'll concede that it's a grey area.

<a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/12764.html"; target="_blank">http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/12764.html</a>;
  • Reply 11 of 39
    ed m.ed m. Posts: 222member
    Well, the ADC connector *could* be a standard. Have a look at this <a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/12764.html"; target="_blank">Register article</a>

Then I decided to snoop around the VESA site. Check out the following:

<a href="http://www.vesa.org/summary/sumPnD-A_pinout2-1.htm"; target="_blank">VESA1</a>

<a href="http://www.vesa.org/summary/sumPnD-A_phys.htm"; target="_blank">VESA2</a>

<a href="http://www.vesa.org/summary/sumdfp.htm"; target="_blank">VESA3</a>

<a href="http://www.vesa.org/pndlink.html"; target="_blank">Plug&Display Standard (PDF format)</a>

Perhaps someone hear can sort through the gory details and provide us with a reasonable conclusion.

--

Ed M.

[ 03-06-2003: Message edited by: Ed M. ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 39
    ed m.ed m. Posts: 222member
    This interesting <a href="http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/OEG19990225S0017"; target="_blank">eeTimes</a> article may also shed some light on the situation.

--

Ed M.

[ 03-06-2003: Message edited by: Ed M. ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 39
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    God, I hope they don't do this. Maybe some of you who have been using the Mac for years are okay with stuff like ADC, but to me it sucks.

I got my first Apple in 1999 to do video editing. It's a Yikes! G4 machine with VGA, DVI, Firewire, USB. I'm very happy with it.

But stuff like ADC might seem 'convenient', but to me, it's the price-gouging Apple of yesteryear that I despised (I'm no fan of .Mac or iLife either).

Having DVI-out on Powerbooks is pretty darned inconvenient, the adapters are clumsy and they don't work with a lot of projectors. Getting an ADC to VGA adapter is even clumsier-it's inelegant, expensive, and just doesn't work that well. Kinda reminds me of running Windows 98.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    os10geekos10geek Posts: 413member
    Well, if Apple put an ADC port on the Powerbooks, then you would have a large hassle to have DVI. And the PB is a pro business machine, and many PB users hook up their PBs to projectors, many of which are DVI.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ed M.:

<strong>

This interesting <a href="http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/OEG19990225S0017"; target="_blank">eeTimes</a> article may also shed some light on the situation.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

From the article, we can see one possible use for these new cables. Let's say a new DVI standard emerges along with a new standard connector. The other competing schemes, which the article discusses, become history. In that case, Apple may adopt the new standard. Since the new DVI scheme does not have USB and/or FireWire, like VESA, Apple may just implement these separately, with the new cable.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    mjpacimjpaci Posts: 79member
    Remember that ADC (Apple Display Connector) is just Apple's name for whatever it is. Kind of like FireWire is/was Apple's name for IEEE1394 and iLink is Sony's name for the same thing.

--Mike

PS: ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) was almost adopted by Intel, then they came up with PS2.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    ADC is a standard that Apple publishes and anybody can use if they wish. Its also used by Formac, Nvidia and ATi .

DVI on the laptop makes perfect sense, Better quality than analogue VGA (makes a real difference if you are projecting) but no power availabe from a laptop to drive a screen.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by os10geek:

<strong>Well, if Apple put an ADC port on the Powerbooks, then you would have a large hassle to have DVI. And the PB is a pro business machine, and many PB users hook up their PBs to projectors, many of which are DVI.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Also, DVI -&gt; VGA is trivial, because DVI carries a VGA signal in addition to the digital one.

However, the odds of a notebook ever sporting an ADC port are slim (to state it mildly): ADC requires 180W of power for the monitor, and there aren't many notebooks that can accomodate that.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    There is another possibility for this cable. It may be for a new iPod.

The end with the single connector would plug right into the iPod. The split end with FireWire and USB connectors would plug into whichever port on your computer you chose.

If Apple did this, the iPod could then be USB *AND* FireWire compatible, which considering their trying to sell it to Windows users would make sense. And if the new iPod hardware supports USB 2.0, then that is especially good for PC users who can get better speed without needing to install a FireWire card.

Who knows...it's all speculation at this point.

-- Ensoniq
  • Reply 20 of 39
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    A lot of people are saying that DVI is a better bet in laptops than VGA....but have you ever tried it?

I have had numerous problems connecting a DVI powerbook through its adapter to a VGA projector.

While in theory it might be great, in reality, it's clumsy, clunky, and doesn't work well. At least the 12 inch has a VGA out instead of DVI.