iMac G5 Memory Question, yet another

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Don't know if this post should go in Current or Future, but here goes.

IF the TS reports are true and the first revision of the iMac is coming out shortly with 512 MB memory, what route should one take to maximize the memory (in regards to matching for the top utilization)?

IE with 256 shipping, one could go to ramseeker, purchase a 1 GB kit and toss the 256 with not much of a thought, but throwing away 512 is a process I am not looking forward to. Is it best to BTO from Apple to make sure I'm getting matching memory? Or take stock delivery and match from there?

Thanks for your help.

Chuckie P

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I look at my iMac and dread the day I have to open it up...

but I love it!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I look at my iMac and dread the day I have to open it up...

but I love it!

naaah, its easy, I replaced the inverter last week, no big deal. the imac is easy to work inside.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

naaah, its easy, I replaced the inverter last week, no big deal. the imac is easy to work inside.

Then if it is easy to get opened up, I would buy ram from crucial and sell the 512 stick.

I read a test done by someone a while back showing that matching sticks or non-matching sticks of ram (same brand different mb) made no difference in speed to the system.

However, it just looks so bad to open up.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Then if it is easy to get opened up, I would buy ram from crucial and sell the 512 stick.

I read a test done by someone a while back showing that matching sticks or non-matching sticks of ram (same brand different mb) made no difference in speed to the system.

However, it just looks so bad to open up.

No, it is very easy to open up, just loosen 3 screws, and the back pops off(and the screws do not come all the way out, so you can't lose them). Mine came with 256 megs, I replaced it with 2x512 sticks from 18004memory works fine. (and they are matched).

if you can type in the forum, you can open it up and install the memory, thats how easy it is.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    If they go to 512 standard on the iMac G5, it will ship with 2 x 256 if they follow their usual M.O. - there will be a BTO charge to ship with 1 x 512. We'll see.

EDIT: or does the elastic bus require a pair of DIMMs? If so, there won't be a 1 x 512 option.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

If they go to 512 standard on the iMac G5, it will ship with 2 x 256 if they follow their usual M.O. - there will be a BTO charge to ship with 1 x 512. We'll see.

EDIT: or does the elastic bus require a pair of DIMMs? If so, there won't be a 1 x 512 option.

When I ordered mine I had the option of 2 x 512 mb or just 1 gb chip to meet 1 gig of ram.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    qchemqchem Posts: 73member
    The system doesn't require pairs, but supposedly to get 128-bit performance (whatever that means for mem) you need a matched pair.

I'm currently running 768MB until I feel like I should upgrade the 256 to a 512.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Can anybody expand on the 128 bit performance issue? How much of a difference is a typical user going to notice between say a 1GB (2x512) matched set and a 1GB non-matched set?

Thanks.

chuckiep