Even more disapointing TS news

Comments

• Reply 21 of 240
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Well, if the worst case scenario is indeed true, it'll be a problem for all of Apple's product families, not just the G5.

Apple can't up the spec of their consumer machines because that would make the specs of the 'Pro' machines appear even more ridiculous...
  • Reply 22 of 240
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

They couldn't if they wanted to. It'd be a PR nightmare.

Suddenly all the Powermacs with Superdrive "B" would gain DL support whilst those with Superdrive "C" would not because the drives were sourced from two different manufacturers. Apple doesn't do it out of spite if they must limit the functioning of a device.

Not true, they just flash the drives in the Rev. C machines with a new firmware and tell the Finder to enable 16X & DL for any drive sporting said firmware. The Finder would continue to ignore all the other 16X capable drives that have been fitted so far.

To the end user, suddenly the Rev. C G5s offer 16X where the Rev. Bs only offered 8X. Nobody would be any the wiser...
  • Reply 23 of 240
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    ThinkSecret doesn't have news, they have rumors. I'm referring to the thread subject title. The sooner one gets that nuance understood, the better.

The new Power Mac revision is going to be a reputation-breaker for ThinkSecret. de Plume likely gets pseudo-anonymous rumor emails, for awhile now. If he actually knows - the name and position - of who is leaking reliable Mac hardware specs (he doesn't get iPod or software specs correct) to him, said person is stupid.

In the meanwhile, I'm sure Apple has been slowly tightening the circle of people who knows what the real specs of upcoming hardware is. I wouldn't want to be that leaker right now.
  • Reply 24 of 240
    The worst part in all of this is when you call the Apple store

and they act like everything is perfectly fine.

At this point the best thing we can do is call or write Apple

to voice our opinions clearly!

The existing PowerMac simply aren't worth their asking price

and there's no f**king way I'm spending $3000 that took me 3 years to save on an inferior product.

The only thing keeping me loyal to Apple right now is the OS

NOT the hardware.

Sorry needed to vent!
  • Reply 25 of 240
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    FFTT,

It's not inferior. It's outdated.
  • Reply 26 of 240
    When I read how IBM is partnering and co-developing with AMD and Intel on their servers and workstations, it doesn't take much to see why

Apple is reduced to waiting for table droppings.
  • Reply 27 of 240
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

When I read how IBM is partnering and co-developing with AMD and Intel on their servers and workstations, it doesn't take much to see why

Apple is reduced to waiting for table droppings.

IBM use their own chips too.
  • Reply 28 of 240
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

No dual core processors - check

No PCI-E slots - check

No Blu-ray optical drive - check

What exactly is "new" about these lame excuses of machines.

Man, Apple can't buy any luck with CPU makers. First Moto, now IBM is giving it to them up the old butt.

I think IBM has to much focus on making chips for Sony, MS, and Nintendo and Apple is getting sloppy fourths.

Why does Apple need to be first with everything? No matter what Apple does there will always be one little PC maker that will make something "better" to serve a niche.

Does the world collapse just because Intel and AMD releases dual core chips before IBM?
  • Reply 29 of 240
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Believe it or don't, but those people don't know any more than we do. Probably less. Most companies (especially ones concerned with secrecy) keep information tightly compartmentalized. The retail arm isn't going to have any information about R&D or product development. Please don't give them a hard time.

Heck, I know some folks at Apple, and folks in SW R&D haven't a clue about HW R&D and vice versa.

Quote:

Yes, to Apple HQ directly. Anything else is just wasting your time and annoying the nice folks.
  • Reply 30 of 240
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    The one positive of all this is that my 18 month old G5 2 GHZ dualie still ranks #2 on the Powermac depth chart.
  • Reply 31 of 240
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    http://theinquirer.org/?article=22646

Maybe this why Apple isn't getting dual core. You will have to pay for innovation. IBm produces this for AMD, so pricing of 970MP will be a bit less, but not enough to put in Powermacs right away, perhaps in xServes.

You don't want to pay over 4000 ? for such a machine and if you do,that is because you really need it.

(Fallenfromthetree you will have to save money another year).
  • Reply 32 of 240
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Holy crap! I didnt realize the multicores would be that much!
  • Reply 33 of 240
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    It's hard for me to believe that Apple is going to upgrade the Powermac now and have another upgrade to dual core by September like few people are suggesting. That's not how Apple has been operating in the last few years.

I see a lot of pessimism around because people truly believe in anything TS says.

My feeling is that TS is so mad at Apple they are generating these false rumors to give bad PR to Apple. In the other hand Steve Jobs is mad at TS because what they did at MWSF, so they are all over TS to find any possible leak.

Historically WWDC has been the place for Powermac announcements lately. So. Let's hope so. I guess only time will tell.
  • Reply 34 of 240
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:

The existing PowerMac simply aren't worth their asking price

and there's no f**king way I'm spending $3000 that took me 3 years to save on an inferior product.

The only thing keeping me loyal to Apple right now is the OS

NOT the hardware.

Sorry needed to vent!

....buy a Mac mini then....you get all that cool software, OS X Tiger....oh and a nice computer.
  • Reply 35 of 240
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

To the end user, suddenly the Rev. C G5s offer 16X where the Rev. Bs only offered 8X. Nobody would be any the wiser..

No Messiah that doesn't work. Apple has to provide the "same" performance across the board. What you're asking for is a class action lawsuit man. Apple simply cannot upgrade the drives unless %100 of the drives can be upgraded. There's no way around this Messiah. Companies get sued for a lot less. Crippling is a fact of life sometimes when you need to source from multiple vendors.

Hey fellas we gotta look at bright side. It's a new day when we're sitting around complaining about no DL drives or giveing a big "meh" to 2.7Ghz G5 chips. I guess I'm just taken aback because hell right now I'd love "any" G5 based system.

I do think that the TS specs could be wrong. I simply cannot see why Apple wouldn't be moving to PCI Express. I know I've downplayed it before but I am starting to hear that the video guys will be migrating probably this year. Blackmagic and AJA both stated they need PCI Express and its fast writebacks to do some realtime stuff. Thus I must give a nod to Onlooker and a thanks to JBL72 for the info on muthaboards and Blackmagic stuffs.

I look at this like "If we get the TS specs then Apple must be designing on hell of a nextgen board" I know that sounds like I'm drinking the kool aid but when the G5 came out I was more than impressed with Apple. I know they can do it again.
  • Reply 36 of 240
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Why is it people only get on my case when I say the powerMac is loaded with outdated crap, and needs to get on with the program?
  • Reply 37 of 240
    Let's not all get our panties in a bunch quite yet. Remember that Think Secret also reported, just before the flat-panel iMac G5 release, that the new iMac would be powered by a G4. Yes, TS was TOTALLY FUCKING WRONG on the iMac G5! MOSR was more accurate than TS on that one.

While it is true that TS is slightly more reliable than the other rumor sites, the mythical status they seem to have garnered here at AI is unwarranted. Yes they could be right on the new Powermacs, but it could also be that someone is pulling TS's chain. Put those razor blades away and coil up the rope until the Powermacs are actually announced, at which point I'll be the first one swingin' from the rafters if Apple does an 8% speed bump on their flagship model (like bumping the 1.0 GHz Powermacs to 1.08 GHz).
  • Reply 38 of 240
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Let's not all get our panties in a bunch quite yet. Remember that Think Secret also reported, just before the flat-panel iMac G5 release, that the new iMac would be powered by a G4. Yes, TS was TOTALLY FUCKING WRONG on the iMac G5! MOSR was more accurate than TS on that one.

What are you talking about ?
  • Reply 39 of 240
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

Holy crap! I didnt realize the multicores would be that much!

Keep in mind that the Operton and Pentium 4 are far larger than the 970, and die area is the leading factor in pricing. Even bumping the 970's cache to 1 MB will keep it much smaller than the single core version of Intel's core, nevermind the dual core version. The is part of the reason that those chips are faster in most benchmarks -- they throw more transistors at the problem. At 66 million transistors the 970FX is a comparative lightweight, and even a dual core version with more cache ought to be reasonably priced ... especially in light of recent reports that IBM has gotten the yield problems well under control.

As for IBM's dual core expertise, please keep in mind that it is on chips for big servers with expensive cooling systems, high prices component, and relatively low clock rates! The issues with these machines are going to be keeping them cool and cheap at reasonable noise levels, and much of that will fall to Apple.
  • Reply 40 of 240
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCQ

As for adopting things like PCIe, etc. Apple has to be very careful not to fracture their market too much. Given how few PMacs they sell in general, they can't be too bleeding edge because few manufacturers will earn anything from making a product for a fraction (new PMacs) of a fraction (the PMacs) of a fraction (the Mac market as a whole) of the market. Frustrating perhaps, but that's the niche we're in.

To the best of my knowledge there are three video card manufacturers who make Apple compatible products: ATI, NVidia, and Matrox.

All 3 of those vendors have now migrated their top end products to PCI Express, and they are quickly adapting their entire lines to PCIe. Sure they still make AGP cards. However, if PCIe were this far off tech, then they wouldn't be introducing it at this pace.

And as hmurchison pointed out, other vendors are moving to PCI also.

If Apple doesn't get into the game soon, they're going to be left behind.