TS: New Powermacs likely at NAB 2005

Comments

• Reply 101 of 126
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'll only buy a dual-core AMD based system. The Intel dual-Core system is inferior.

Shouldn't that read?:

I'll only buy a dual-core AMD based system, if Apple doesn't provide their own dual-core system in a timely manner. (Say, announced @ WWDC'05) The Intel dual-Core system is inferior, and Windows sucks ass!!!

There, that's better...
  • Reply 102 of 126
    blablablabla Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FireDancer

Unfortunately, I think we've all been jinks?d by MOSR.....[..] Well they're claiming, "We continue to believe that a quad-processor Macintosh is imminent".

I've read that at MOSR since 1997.
  • Reply 103 of 126
    Let's just start the "Perpetual Quad-core PowerMac Speculation" thread, and be done with it.

• Reply 104 of 126
    I would buy an AMD dual core powered workstation tomorrow

IF... you could get free open source ProTools 64 HD for LINUX

Logic 7 for LINUX, Final Cut HD Studio for LINUX and everyting else

OSX offers in LINUX.

So I guess I'm still waiting.
  • Reply 105 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sam Damon

Let's just start the "Perpetual Quad-core PowerMac Speculation" thread, and be done with it.

And a class action suite for large scale nervous breakdowns, general depression and post traumatic stress disorders brought on by

Apple's Secrecy.
  • Reply 106 of 126
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

I didn't honestly expect to see a NEW PowerMac until WWDC

but seeing this today would anger and frustrate even the most

loyal Apple user.

We can speculate all we want and try to make some sense of why

Apple does what they do sometimes,

but right now, I feel SO totally let down by Apple.

http://www.alienware.com/intro_pages/intel_955x.aspx

Will these dual core systems have one or two processors?
  • Reply 107 of 126
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think for the specs given by TS, this is a lame update, unless of course the PowerPC G5s are dual dual-core. That would be the only thing that would un-lame an update with those specs.
  • Reply 108 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Does that really matter when we are smoked with a single core system anyway..
  • Reply 109 of 126
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

It seems to be a single processor;

I doubt will see a major upgrade to the Powermac until September. Just my hunch but years of being disappointed with Apples updates I?ve turned into a ?the cups half empty? guy.
  • Reply 110 of 126
    mat79mat79 Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

One. Pentium 4s (like Athlon 64s) are not SMP capeable (you'll have to get the Server Version Xeon/Opteron for SMP)

But there will be a Pentium 4d - Extreme edition that has DualCore and SMT (aka Hyperthreading). that means 4 virtual cores (2 Cores with each 2 Virtual CPUs)
  • Reply 111 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by mat79

One. Pentium 4s (like Athlon 64s) are not SMP capeable (you'll have to get the Server Version Xeon/Opteron for SMP)

Besides the bragging rights, what would be the difference from a Dual Processor system and a Single Processor Dual Core system?

Doesn't it basically mean that PC users will be getting DP-like systems now? How many apps will even utilize the second core?
  • Reply 112 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Does that really matter when we are smoked with a single core system anyway..

Certainly depends on the situation (app).
  • Reply 113 of 126
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Bah..

Some of you are doing your "annual" hand wringing and chicken little act.

The Intel Dual Core system is the worst of the bunch. You have two cores sitting right freakin' next to each other that still have to communicate over the FSB. That's because the Pentium was never designed to be a dual core system like the AMD and G5.

Very few windows apps are ready for DC and many benchmarks are showing that only encoding apps seem to be really responding. If an app isn't DC aware then you basically have the performance of just that single Proc.
  • Reply 114 of 126
    mat79mat79 Posts: 40member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Besides the bragging rights, what would be the difference from a Dual Processor system and a Single Processor Dual Core system?

I cant say for Intels Pentium-D, but the difference between one Dual Core AMD Opteron and 2 Single Cores is the memory interface. Opterons (And Athlons) have the memory controller in the CPU so 2 CPUs => 2 Memory Controllers => each CPU has its own RAM

Quote:

Doesn't it basically mean that PC users will be getting DP-like systems now?

yep, Intels Pentium-D is shipping now (well starts to ship now) and AMD will start with the Server Version then Mobile and Desktop being the last one

Quote:

How many apps will even utilize the second core? [/B]

on the PC front? not a lot... most Stuff is still single Threaded, even with a SMT Pentium 4 (like a DualCore light) available for 2+ Years or so.

But i think most Games will be Multi Threaded because they will be released on Playstation3, Xbox2 and PC (like now) and the first two are Multi-CPU solutions
  • Reply 115 of 126
    Quote:

http://www.alienware.com/intro_pages/intel_955x.aspx [/B]

That looks like a gigantic plastic jockstrap.
  • Reply 116 of 126
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

I didn't honestly expect to see a NEW PowerMac until WWDC

but seeing this today would anger and frustrate even the most

loyal Apple user.

We can speculate all we want and try to make some sense of why

Apple does what they do sometimes,

but right now, I feel SO totally let down by Apple.

http://www.alienware.com/intro_pages/intel_955x.aspx

So I can buy the (crappy P4_DC) AlienBox for $3463 roughly speced (except for PCI-E) like the Dual 2.5 G5 for $3499. So you could get a dual P4 3.2 that shares a single 800Mhz FSB, or a Dual 2.5 G5 which has independent 1.25Ghz FSBs. And someone here thinks this dual core announcement (still not shipping, min delay of 27 days...) is something spectacular?

It took a 3.2P4-DC to get back into the performance throughput footprint of a dual G5. This is no leap ahead, it's back to no clear leader, change serve.
  • Reply 117 of 126
    groovergroover Posts: 29member
    Well only a few more hours till we find out about the Apple Event. Lets hope for a surprise and expect nothing. I will be happy either way.
  • Reply 118 of 126
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member

Quote:

but the difference between one Dual Core AMD Opteron and 2 Single Cores is the memory interface. Opterons (And Athlons) have the memory controller in the CPU so 2 CPUs => 2 Memory Controllers => each CPU has its own RAM

Judging from the graphic above the Dual-Core Athlon/Opterons will share a memory controller via the crossbar connect. Which is fine as there will be more inter-core communication in AMD systems than the Pentium D systems.

As for Alienware systems. They are for fools. If you're going to bet a PC you might as well build it. Every damn component aside from the Case is available at any PC store. I will hand it to Alienware...they market their product well. You have the PC guy cheesin about his PC and calling Macs expensive after he's just dropped $3k on an Alienware box. Hmmmmm
  • Reply 119 of 126
    There is no way Apple is announcing new hardware at NAB.. First off I know we are all clinging to this hope of this press conference tomorrow at NAB.. I was with all of you kinda.. Until I saw the time its scheduled for. 6:00pm????

There is no way Apple releases new hardware at 6pm after everyone has gone home on Wall Street and add to that the fact that they will have wasted 3 full days at NAB where they could have displayed this new hardware to buyers? Not a chance.
  • Reply 120 of 126
    The only reason I referred to Alienware at all is because they

offer the kind of BTO options that I wish we could order for our Macs.

and of course now they offer the first dual core desktop.

I'm sure Apple will delight us with their innovation eventually......