Tiger and 5 college kids....

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Since Tiger is coming out soon, 4 other mac users and I are talking about buying the "family" pack. It is cheaper than buying the student version by about 30USD. Since I believe that it only comes with one DVD and 5 registration codes, would it be hard to copy the DVD for the other four people? Would it even be legal for us to do that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    osxaddictosxaddict Posts: 131member
    * Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons sharing the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium. This license does not extend to students who reside at a separate on-campus location or to business or commercial users.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    thanks, I really wish they put disclaimers and such so that they were easier to find.... got to break the bad news now, bummer....
  • Reply 3 of 21
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by realitydude001

thanks, I really wish they put disclaimers and such so that they were easier to find.... got to break the bad news now, bummer....

i applaud your respect for copyright laws!
  • Reply 4 of 21
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Since Tiger is coming out soon, 4 other mac users and I are talking about buying the "family" pack. It is cheaper than buying the student version by about 30USD. Since I believe that it only comes with one DVD and 5 registration codes, would it be hard to copy the DVD for the other four people? Would it even be legal for us to do that?

I do not believe there are any fucking registration codes for Tiger., and there never have been!
  • Reply 5 of 21
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    There are no registration codes for OS X client, only OS X server.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    "...Apple-labeled computers..." ???
  • Reply 7 of 21
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bill M

"...Apple-labeled computers..." ???

PowerMacs, iMacs, eMacs, PowerBooks, iBooks, Mac minis. It's not that hard.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Illegal copying suggestion quote removed - JL

not morally or legally... but technically there is nothing built into the OS to really stop you, other than possibly copy protection on the DVD.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

PowerMacs, iMacs, eMacs, PowerBooks, iBooks, Mac minis. It's not that hard.

Oh, ok... I thought it might have implied in some way that some sort of clones could be coming available soon... anyway, thanks for taking the time to share your intelligence and knowledge on the subject.

these boards used to be much more fun.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    haha, thanks for all the pirating tips, but I want to keep this mac fairly clean as compared to my old Windows machine which was... yeah.....not clean....
  • Reply 11 of 21
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It'd be nice if Apple extended the parameters of the "Family Pack" to include 5 users at the same small business.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

haha, thanks for all the pirating tips, but I want to keep this mac fairly clean as compared to my old Windows machine which was... yeah.....not clean....

Five college students do not count as being family, even if they all live in the same dorm/frat. Getting a family pak is, I guess a little bit "cleaner" than getting a single user license, but it still is not really allowed.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Do Final Cut Pro and all those pro apps have copy protection on them? I have never installed that stuff, so I don't know. But as far as MacOS (and other general software) goes, Apple doesn't really care if people copy it, since they don't make their money from that. They make their profit from their hardware, and the software is just to complement it.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit

Do Final Cut Pro and all those pro apps have copy protection on them? I have never installed that stuff, so I don't know. But as far as MacOS (and other general software) goes, Apple doesn't really care if people copy it, since they don't make their money from that. They make their profit from their hardware, and the software is just to complement it.

To say Apple doesn't care about software pirating would be ridiculous. That is why we see them going after the p2p guys who put the dev builds up.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Quote:

Do Final Cut Pro and all those pro apps have copy protection on them? I have never installed that stuff, so I don't know.

No, they don´t.

If you want to,you can download them, there´s nothing in your way to stop you from doing so.

Quote:

But as far as MacOS (and other general software) goes, Apple doesn't really care if people copy it, since they don't make their money from that. They make their profit from their hardware, and the software is just to complement it. [/B]

Full Ack - Apple gives a Sh*t about that, they want to make sure that more and more people see OS X in Real Life. Word of the mouth publicicty is the best one can have, and Redmont did this, too.

Dan: THese were Dev. Builds, and these people were under a NDA. THAT was the Problem...
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Well, that's because of it getting out early. But I mean in general, if people can't afford Mac OS, Apple probably would prefer that they have it anyway. They just don't want people to know that, so that they do get money from all the people who can afford it. That way, those people will like their mac computers more and will likely buy another mac when they upgrade the computer. The computer is worth a lot more than the software is, so they're relatively open about the software.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    eupfhoriaeupfhoria Posts: 257member
    Quote:

Yes, Apple's Pro apps have serial codes and copy protection.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    So Apple has no way to tell one copy of OSX from another? Right now it sounds like they just mass produce a DVD and sell it for 130 USD. Not used to this lack of copy protection....
  • Reply 19 of 21
    defjefdefjef Posts: 62member
    Apple expects their users to understand the amount of skill and expense that it takes to create an operating system as refined as OS X, and for their users to feel driven to reward hard work and creativity. I seriously doubt that Apple could survive simply by selling their hardware and then giving their software away. Even if they could survive that way, the Apple experience would suffer due to lack of funds and motivation for software development.

If they just wanted to make hardware they'd be Dell, it would be more cost effective. But, Apple is creating and selling the whole Apple experience, and I dare say that I don't think they are solely driven to do it out of competition or greed, but because they believe that what they are doing truly is the best and impacts the world in a positive way overall.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bill M

I thought it might have implied in some way that some sort of clones could be coming available soon

I think it might be referring to running OS X on an emulated PPC like CherryOS or similar.