Quick memory question from an idiot :0)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a G5 with stock memory 256 and got a used emac loaded. Can I take the memory out of my emac (1st gen) and simply install it into the G5 flat panel w/out issues?

Jessica

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    nope.

The ram is of a different kind .... in fact, if you were to open it up and try, you would find that it won't even fit in the slot
  • Reply 2 of 10
    figures apple would do that! thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    craftymacgirl,

What G5 do you have? an iMac? Take a look at crucial.com and order the memory you need.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by craftymacgirl

figures apple would do that! thanks!

Why attitude like that? The eMac is essentially an iBook with a CRT monitor, so it uses industry standard laptop SoDIMM (Small outline DIMM) RAM . Just like its older brother, the original iMac line, did since 1998. You have to save the size somehow when you go with the smaller volume enclosures. Apples desktop lines use industry standard DIMMs just like everyone else. Nothing nefarious like COMPAQ making you buy proprietary RAM modules.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    chill out ibook911. :0) I am an apple junkie. I was saying "figures" like I would do to any company that tries to swindle more funds out of me after I just spend 1200. As a business owner myself I am sure when I function like a capitalist...there is some parent or client that says about my company "figures" -
  • Reply 6 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

chill out ibook911. :0) I am an apple junkie. I was saying "figures" like I would do to any company that tries to swindle more funds out of me after I just spend 1200. As a business owner myself I am sure when I function like a capitalist...there is some parent or client that says about my company "figures" -

Apple isn't "swindling" anybody. The two computers use different processors, and therefore by necessity have different memory architectures. eMac G4 memory isn't fast enough for the G5, and it is a different design.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Chill out? I was trying to help and only had a smile on my face, when I replied. Now I need to chill out, for now I don't have that smile on my face. I won't try to help you again.

I had no problem with you saying "figures," in fact, I didn't even notice.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Looks like I hit a nerve. OKyou are right. They aren't swindling me, they aren't doing anything. I am the idiot and stated that in my post subject :0)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I like your smilies. ':0)'
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

... The eMac is essentially an iBook with a CRT monitor, so it uses industry standard laptop SoDIMM (Small outline DIMM) RAM . Just like its older brother, the original iMac line, did since 1998. You have to save the size somehow when you go with the smaller volume enclosures. Apples desktop lines use industry standard DIMMs just like everyone else. ...

Actually... The eMac and iBook are drastically different in board layout and component usage.

I routinely swap the standard PC133 ram between old G4 towers and eMacs. The eMac does not require "laptop" ram.