Next version of iTunes (iTunes 5?), any word?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Like the title says, have there been any rumors about the next version of iTunes (which I guess will likely be version 5). What new features to expect and when?

Personally, I'd like to see more user customizable options, not so much in regards to visuals but more when it comes to functionality: More options for organizing and searching the music collection, playlists, etc. and more advanced options for ripping and encoding CDs - e.g. more control over the error correction and maybe an error log/alert (like EAC on Windows).

Here's to hoping

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    The fact that it didnt get updated to 5.0 with the rest of the Digital Life suite leads me to believe it has something to do with QuickTime 7 and H.264. That leads me to believe that I have no idea why that would matter.

I already don't like the idea of watching Movie Trailers in iTunes, and I can't really see Apple doing an iTMS-like video download store (not yet at least).

H.264 uses AAC for audio anyway...

Hmmm.

Unless it's Tiger related.

But I can't see Apple saying "From now on iTunes is Tiger and WinXP only". I know a few million iPod owners who would gladly fund a few Napalm runs on 1 Infinite Loop.

Does anyone in posession of Tiger GM know if iTunes that is included is 5?
  • Reply 2 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Does anyone in posession of Tiger GM know if iTunes that is included is 5?

I believe it will ship with 4.7.1 se this list of included applications...
  • Reply 3 of 65
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    One thing I'd like to see in iTunes 5 is a sort of "On the Go" playlist ability. In iTunes, you could right click to select "Add to current playback" or command-click a song to do the same. Another option would be "Add to selected playlist"

There have been many times where I'm in the middle of a playlist or album and think, "Oh, I want to listen to this song and this one too," but don't want to add it to the playlist.

After the conversion from WinAmp to iTunes long ago, that's the one last thing that I miss.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    You should be able to link songs together, so that even in shuffle they will play in order. They're sort of like "mini-playlists" which can range from two to a hundred songs.

I'll elaborate if that's unclear.

It would also be nice if when playing those linked songs together on an iPod there would be no gap between them as the iPod loads. Great for songs that follow each other and run into each other on an album.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    winkwink Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

You should be able to link songs together, so that even in shuffle they will play in order. They're sort of like "mini-playlists" which can range from two to a hundred songs.

It would also be nice if when playing those linked songs together on an iPod there would be no gap between them as the iPod loads. Great for songs that follow each other and run into each other on an album.

yeah. i had just that idea the other day
  • Reply 6 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

I already don't like the idea of watching Movie Trailers in iTunes, and I can't really see Apple doing an iTMS-like video download store (not yet at least).

H.264 uses AAC for audio anyway...

H.264 is the video codec. It doesn't necessarily have to go with AAC, it could go with MP3...

I agree though, I don't like the idea of iTunes becoming a media center or whatever. And I also thought it was odd that iTunes didn't go to 5.0 with the others too.

CosmoNut, I'm not sure if I have this right, but what you describe sounds like party shuffle. I have it selecting songs from my top rated. And if I ever feel like playing a song I drag it to "Party Shuffle" and it plays after the current song; I have it displaying 0 upcoming songs, that way it will always play after the current one. If that's not, then ignore me.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

And if I ever feel like playing a song I drag it to "Party Shuffle" and it plays after the current song;

Just in case you missed it there's also 2 Party Shuffle related items when you right-click on a track.

Play Next in Party Shuffle

Add to Party Shuffle
  • Reply 8 of 65
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

Just in case you missed it there's also 2 Party Shuffle related items when you right-click on a track.

Add to Party Shuffle

Wow. It was right there and I didn't even know it. Looks like I'm about to change how I listen to iTunes!
  • Reply 9 of 65
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    The next version has to add something revolutionary. How about some kind of intelligent music style detection for iTunes 5. I'm thinking of something like:

http://www.moodlogic.com/
  • Reply 10 of 65
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jms698

The next version has to add something revolutionary.

how about the ability to stream to more than one airport.

multiple rooms same stream.

not that revolutionary and would drive the sales of airports.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    And what about the AAC+ codec? More songs on the ipod for the same quality (or better)!
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

Add to Party Shuffle

That's how I first found out about that feature actually, by accidently pressing the "Play next in party shuffle" button. Wondered where me other music had gone! I use it all the time to shuffle through and occasionally set up a song to play or a whole list, depends how I feel. I very rarely listen to iTunes any other way now, if I listen to an album, I'll drop the songs into party shuffle and it'll play the album, and when it's done that go back to randomly playing top rated songs.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    Stability would be nice. As it has grown, so have my issues. Now I can't keep iTunes up for more then 3 days before a crash which won't force quit)

I have rebuilt the app from scratch including preferences, plist files, xml, even the App itself. No luck.

This is as of 2 x.x.x releases ago.

To top that off, on the many PCs I have using iTunes, I have a roughly 50% failure rate.

1 routinly won't launch, (or should I say queues up 10-15 itterations in memory which I can't see and have to 'end process')

1 never (NEVER) want's to synch with one of my iPods properly. USB2 is soooo flaky

1 hangs about twice a day (and drops all connected users)

and then I have 2 that work 'fine' (if you can call any windows app fine)

All in all... I'd like to see it torn apart are rebuilt. It lacks nested playlists for one. On top of that, there are about 10 versions swimming around out there. Each x.x.x release chops up some new bit.

I'd rather have a stable Jukebox app with decent playlists instead of an over-featured over-sexed all in one app. Streaming is nice, buying is nice, movies are nice but Apple come on... draw the line somewhere and let this product reach maturity so we can get a sequal product into development...

iVote iTunes out. If I could replace it tomorrow... I would (and that is saying a lot)
  • Reply 14 of 65
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Stability would be nice. As it has grown, so have my issues. Now I can't keep iTunes up for more then 3 days before a crash which won't force quit)

I have rebuilt the app from scratch including preferences, plist files, xml, even the App itself. No luck.

This is as of 2 x.x.x releases ago.

To top that off, on the many PCs I have using iTunes, I have a roughly 50% failure rate.

1 routinly won't launch, (or should I say queues up 10-15 itterations in memory which I can't see and have to 'end process')

1 never (NEVER) want's to synch with one of my iPods properly. USB2 is soooo flaky

1 hangs about twice a day (and drops all connected users)

and then I have 2 that work 'fine' (if you can call any windows app fine)

All in all... I'd like to see it torn apart are rebuilt. It lacks nested playlists for one. On top of that, there are about 10 versions swimming around out there. Each x.x.x release chops up some new bit.

I'd rather have a stable Jukebox app with decent playlists instead of an over-featured over-sexed all in one app. Streaming is nice, buying is nice, movies are nice but Apple come on... draw the line somewhere and let this product reach maturity so we can get a sequal product into development...

iVote iTunes out. If I could replace it tomorrow... I would (and that is saying a lot)

You must be the unlucky one - I can honestly never remember iTunes crashing on me in all the time I have used it. Maybe you have some corrupt files or something that don't help your cause.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

You must be the unlucky one - I can honestly never remember iTunes crashing on me in all the time I have used it. Maybe you have some corrupt files or something that don't help your cause.

It worked great on my mac for a long time... but with each 'update' came more problems. My music collection has been chopped up so many times I am bone weary of fixing it.

I'd challange anyone out there to go pickup a windows iPod and try and set it up on an XP machine. I'll bet a solid 1 in 4 has major issues. Another of the officers at the job bought 6 iPods. (one for each person in his family at his house)

Of those six only 2 installed smoothly. I'm not imagining this... look all over online at the sea of difficulties.... all these iPod updates/iTunes updates have worn out there welcome. Enough so that I'm ready to move away from Apple to find a more stable Jukebox.

If you all remember SoundJam (before Apple ate them) now THAT was a solution. How lame is it that the Jukebox I used to love I now love to hate?

When my copy of Tiger arrives, I'll do a clean install, then a transfer of my library. If that doesn't go well.. I'm scrubbing out iTunes and going to some ghetto freeware until iRock or whatever it's replacement will be emerges.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

I do that with Quicktime Pro. For example on the Bob Seger Live Bullet album, Travelin' Man and Beautiful Loser are meant to string together as one, however iTunes rips them apart. So I opened Travelin' Man into Quicktime and the same with Beautiful Loser, then copy that and paste it into the first song. Export it out as an aif file, and reimport it back into iTunes as one aac file.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Never had iTunes crash. Even on PC!

Yes there is a long list of features to still implement. First and foremost would be CD-TEXT!!!

iTunes automatically detecting links in the Library that don't work anymore would be great, as would a button to remove ALL of these.

Perhaps they should just employ the guy that make G-force. His Visualizer has gone way past the built in one.

More Equalizer options would be nice, as an Extended view.

More later. And a Red Note on the icon! This green is getting annoying.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

And a Red Note on the icon! This green is getting annoying.

how about the song title across the green note/CD picture a la the date on ical. Song Changes and the title changes.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    tb6387tb6387 Posts: 59member
    I'd like to see a feature similar to the 'Last Played' and 'Play Count' columns that would titled 'Last Played On' and display what device the song was last played on...computer, ipod, etc. That way when you discover new music and you dont know the name you can just sort by last played on the device you listened to it on and find it quickly.

I believe it has already been mentioned but I would like to see playlist groups that would allow you to make a group of playlists and minimize the group similar to the way it works when you are connected to another library and can click the trianlge to expand to show thier playlists.

I would also like to see the ability to rate CDs, I know you can select all the songs and rate them but I would like to be able to rate a CD as a whole not just by individual songs, as well as the ability to rate Playlists.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Never had iTunes crash. Even on PC!

Yes there is a long list of features to still implement. First and foremost would be CD-TEXT!!!

CD-Text is at best second place to... GAPLESS PLAYBACK*! iTunes, and iPods as well, desperately need gapless playback.

*At this point someone will typically pipe in and say "iTunes already has that!", either totally not understanding the problem, or not understanding the gapless playback problem enough, so that they suggest turning on crossfade and setting the time to 0.