Tivo loses it's chief engineer.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Arthur Van Hoff is outta there!

Who wants to bet that Apple made him an offer he couldn't refuse

Quote:

Van Hoff said he still believes in what the company is doing but added it was time to move on.

IE he sees no future in the company or current staff. Bye Tivo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Arthur Van Hoff is outta there!

Who wants to bet that Apple made him an offer he couldn't refuse

IE he sees no future in the company or current staff. Bye Tivo.

hey hmurchinson he is/was involved in Bonjour/Rendezvous

edit: in a perfect world he is involved in software apple's tivo-killer and also working closely with their hardware division that's gonna integrate the software with a hardware-based encoder/decoder for high-def h.264 :: all to be integrated into the next-gen Mac Mini *sigh* one can hope

edit2: sorry for the rambling, i'm just a little pissed off because last night our satellite TV set-top box was supposed to switch to HBO to record Mystic River (one has to program the sat-tv box separately from the VCR) but it never came on. so the VCR behaved well and came on but the sat-tv box misbehaved (my dad tells me this is known to happen) and never turned on HBO...!! *aarghh* so i have to wait another few days, weeks(?) for them to reshow Mystic River. 21grams was heavy but Sean Penn is good...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I just watched 21 Grams. Penn was good and Watts was better than I thought she'd be.

Honestly I don't know where Von Hoff is going but he's a Java Pro and I wouldn't mind Apple working with him on some stuff. Obviously he doesn't agree with Tivo's direction and that doesn't surprise me.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

I just watched 21 Grams. Penn was good and Watts was better than I thought she'd be.

Honestly I don't know where Von Hoff is going but he's a Java Pro and I wouldn't mind Apple working with him on some stuff. Obviously he doesn't agree with Tivo's direction and that doesn't surprise me.

Naomi Watts is an australian actor! australian actors are good, and most people don't know they are there

eg. Toni Colette in Sixth Sense

Toni Colette in The Hours

Nicole, Russel Crowe, everyone knows them

to continue

Hugh Jackman - Wolverine

Melissa George was kick ass as Lauren (Vaughns wife) in Alias Season 3... I think she is in House of Amytiville or something that new horror movie

Anthony Lapaglia - the head boss-dude in Without A Trace

• Reply 4 of 10
    I'd agree. Austrialia is represented well in Hollywood. Now we just need more people from Seattle!! LOL

Tom Skerrit where are you when we need you! :P
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

I'd agree. Austrialia is represented well in Hollywood. Now we just need more people from Seattle!! LOL

Tom Skerrit where are you when we need you! :P

you had a good run with Eddie Vedder, Pearl Jam and the whole grunge thing ... and did starbucks start in seattle? \

edit: i liked Tom Skerrit in Picket Fences

and he was awesome in Contact -- real muthaf*ka -- played the scientist-turned-self-serving-politician so well...

oh and Alien.1

edit2: i think Lauren Holly in Picket Fences is where i got my redhead fetish from... oops i've said too much... i really should get some sleep now
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Sleep? It's only 11am!!!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    I hate Sean Penn with a passion
  • Reply 8 of 10
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Van Hoff is outta there!

I don't understand this hero worship of "Chief Engineers".

In any team of engineers, there will be about 25% that do the bulk of the work. Losing a bunch of those people is very bad, losing only the top single guy does not matter at all.

Furthermore, the "top guy" is not usually the best engineer - he is usually just perceived that way by management. It is not like losing the best person on a basketball team or something, unless your company is very small.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    So e1618978 how long have you worked under your Chief Engineer? :P

Just kidding. Point well taken...usually the guy at the top gets a disproportionate amount of credit.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

So e1618978 how long have you worked under your Chief Engineer?

12 long years...