Inside Tiger

zozo
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Any questions?

Friend has it has showed some stuff to me over lunch today.

Indexing took 3 minutes on a DualG5 2.5GHz

Screenshots are saved as PNG (hurrah)

Mail is nice. I really really like the interface. Im an Entourage user so cant really say how well it works, but def looks muuuuch nicer and "serious"

Window resizing is as smooth as katana through soft butter (finally)

Dashboard is just too damn cool. The site to download more Dashboard widgets requires login/pass Still closed to public

Dictionary app is fantastic. Just browsing through words is fun

Didnt get to see Automator enough. Not really interested in it anyway.

FINDER: incredibly enough if you have a folder (Applications folder for example) in the Dock and you right click on it to see whats inside, it still take a LONG time to see whats inside. even on a Dual 2.5 (at least 2-3 seconds). If you scroll down, you get to the end and you STILL have that annoying as hell "bounce". They've also added three options at the end of any folder you preview in the dock: Remove From Dock: Open at Login: and Show In finder (as in Panther) and Open. Apps in the dock also have option of "open at login"

Network: Wow... stuff shows up MUCH faster. In a mixed environment (this guy has just about every OS on the LAN he is on) within seconds shares show up. Panther seemed to think and contemplate on it.

iCal looks almost same. Didnt have time to play with it

iChat: we shoud all know all about it

Safari and the RSS stuff is pretty cool. I'm used to NetNewsWire but Safari does a very nice job as well. The bookmarks in the menu (RSS) are a bit annoying. You cant do like in Firefox where you can actually see the indvidual headlines, you can only press the button and the rss sheet appears and you have to see them all. Not big big deal, but question of habit

PREFERENCES

APPEARENCE: New font smoothing setting: automatic

EXPOSE': tab adds Dashboard

DESKTOP AND SCREENSAVER: has new desktops. Awesome new Screensaver: RSS Visualizer. Very very VERY cool. Select any RSS site that you have saved in Safari and it appears on the screen through different flying, opengl text... giving you options to "read more" about a headline you may find interesting. Pressing the button quits the screensaver and opens Safari to the page. Awesome

There is also a "Spectrum" screensaver. Your screen transitions through spectrum of colors. Nothing mind blowing.

DOCK: no changes

INTERNATIONAL: small localisation changes. Or big actaully, depends where you're coming from. More formats, more choice over input, etc

SECURITY: never used it, so cant say what differences there are. Looks pretty much same though.

SPOTLIGHT: lots of options. 2 tabs, one for which dir to NOT index and the other for order of categories to search for. Havent had time to figure it out

CDs/DVDs: same

DISPLAYS: This CRAZY: You have the option to rotate your screen 90/180/270 degrees. [edit: took out section about not being able to use mouse. My psych/motor skills are to blame] (note: scary scary prank to pull off weary friends/colleagues, etc)

ENERGY SAVER: Looks the same

MOUSE/KEYB: Doesnt seem different

PRINT/FAX: differently laid out. No time to look in depth.

SOUND: No apparent change

.MAC: Hes not a member so didnt see anything. There IS an iSync tab now though. Im personally very happy about this. Keychain sync is one of my top reasosn to get Tiger

NETWORK: No apparent change

QUICKTIME: No apparent change (prefwise)

Sharing: No apparent change

ACCOUNTS: No time to look at them. No different from what is on Apple site.

CLASSIC: No apparent change

DATE/TIME: No apparent change (maybe different calendar/clock pic?)

SOFTWARE UPDATE: No apparent change

SPEECH: No time to look at it

STARTUP DISK: No apparent change

UNIVERSAL ACCESS: As on Apple page. No time to test it.

3rd Party prefs seem to work fine (well, Menu Meters does at least (only one he has installed )

TEXTEDIT: Grrr... quick test reveals you STILL can't save as Text Only. You still have to go to preferences and change the "save" thing to "text" God thats hateful.

You can Save as many different PDFs. I saved as normal PDF. Opened it in PREVIEW and now you can add little "comments" into PDFs. cant edit the text, but you can add the comments. Neat. Oddly enough: When I saved a text only document into PDF it was bigger than a Compressed PDF. Weird. Encrypted PDFs are great stuff. He will send them to me so I can try and see if Adobe Acrobat recognizes them as Encrypted as well. You CANNOT open a PDF unless you provide a password. SPOTLIGHT also can't index it. We tried different things. Looks like they thought it pretty well through. Still, this was a quick test. WTF is save as PDF-X?

I opened a pic (PNG format, original size 364KB) with PREVIEW and saved as PDF (352KB) and compressed PDF (124KB). Niiiice.

Anyway, Textedit has tons of new little things. The Character Palette has Cherokee and Canadian Aboriginal... never saw those before...

GET INFO: You can add "Spotlight comments" to any file. Guess its additional meta info.

SHERLOCK: Uhh.. . forgot this existed. Dont think anything has been done to it.

STICKIES: Dunno

UTILITIES:

Didnt have time to look through them all. The ones that interested me most were KEYCHAIN (big update, looks better now) and GRAPHER is new util.

SYSTEM PROFILER has more stuff to know about (Network, Software, etc...) There is a MIGRATION ASSISTANT and a VOICEOVER UTILITY.

It ships with iTunes 4.7.1 (30)

Aaaaaghhh... thats all the time I had and what I could remember of note.

If you have other questions lemme know and I'll try and sneak by this evening or tomorrow. I can try for some screenshots, but I doubt I can get any...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I'm vaguely curious if they removed the sneaky way of isolating (for a period, anyway) a widget from the Dashboard environment -- by dragging a widget from the widget bar, and then dismissing Dashboard by hitting F12 or the Dash icon before letting go. In an late seed I played w/ the widget would then drop into the regular environment, at least until Dashboard was invoked again (though w/ some odd redraw issues).

I'm not one of the people who can't understand why Dashboard widgets exist in their own environment and want them to be a little applications -- just curious.

Still work, or no?
  • Reply 2 of 65
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Yeah, it does that. Hehe, kinda cool. But stays on top of everything else once you go back to finder. Going back into Dashboard mode gets rid of it

UPDATE: ALL the PDFs created work perfectly on PC with Acrobat Reader 6. encrypted, PDF-X (whatever that is), and even the PDF with the "sticky note" added to it.

hurrah
  • Reply 3 of 65
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    PDF-X is a stricter format for professional publishing.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

DISPLAYS: This CRAZY: You have the option to rotate your screen 90/180/270 degrees.

So it is there finally. The Macbidouille reports were accurate.

Quote:

Whats crazy is controlling the mouse!!! Its totally CRAP!!! Its impossible to move around when you get your screen put to side. Ugh. He uses a single button Mac mouse... anyway, after intense mind/motor skills, managed to put it right side around. (note: scary scary prank to pull off weary friends/colleagues, etc)

I am not sure if I understand what you say here.

Do you have some way to check if Q2DE is enabled in the system?
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Dashboard is just too damn cool. The site to download more Dashboard widgets requires login/pass Still closed to public

Can you check memory and CPU usage when you have some widgets running? Some people complain that it eats up too much memory.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Can you check memory and CPU usage when you have some widgets running? Some people complain that it eats up too much memory.

CPU isn't bad. Memory for each active widget about 15-25MB of RAM, IIRC.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Of EACH active widget ?
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Of EACH active widget ?

Yup. IIRC.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Window resizing is smooth as katana through soft butter (finally)

Amen.

Do you know if Quartz 2D extreme was enabled ?

Oops, too late.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    wow... the widget stuff takes crazy processor usage.

on the dual 2.5, moving the cursor around, with about 10 widgets open = 60-80% cpu usage EACH proc.

If you dont move anything around, the usage is down to almost idle use (3-8%)

Re DISPLAY: What I mean is that for some reason, the mouse cursor doesnt move properly. It feels like the controls are inversed and you're guessing how the hell to move the cursor correctly. The combination of disorientation of the screen and the wonky controls is weird. The screen is right side up, put to 90degrees, you suddenly dont understand if you have to move the mouse up for up or left for up (in the direction of where the menu is)... dunno if you catch my drift.

[edit] I tried the monitors thing again, and its just me... my brain isnt able to process position and stuff... bah... bottom line: it works fine, just put your monitor "rightside up" and move mouse accordingly.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    how does one find out if Quartz2D is enabled?
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

In the developper tools, there's a utility called "quartz debug". There you can turn off/on quartz 2D extreme, so you'll see if it's enabled by default. If not, I suggest you turn it on and see what it does (it should accelerate the UI).
  • Reply 13 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Quartz 2d Extreme, man. I know it can be turned on using Quartz Debug from the Dev Tools, not sure if Quartz Debug tells you its state.

The important part for CPU for Dashboard + widgets is when they're idle no? One isn't going to be spending a lot of time in Dashboard moving widgets around. Or most of us anyway.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    About as often as resize windows...
  • Reply 15 of 65
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

There is no way that is possible...thatr has to be a bug...or something...because for a png file and some java, 25 mb is way too much
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Not at all. That includes the linked in libraries, frameworks, etc, to make the thing work. All the networking, graphics, JavaScript.... everything.

The VM use report includes all of those, even though only one copy is shared between all clients of them.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    Quote:

Quartz 2d Extreme, man. I know it can be turned on using Quartz Debug from the Dev Tools, not sure if Quartz Debug tells you its state.

The important part for CPU for Dashboard + widgets is when they're idle no? One isn't going to be spending a lot of time in Dashboard moving widgets around. Or most of us anyway.

It's disabled by default.

But once you enable it and quit quartz debug...it seems to turn off. Is that supposed to happen? Once I reopen quartz debug, only quartz extreme is enabled.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

There is no way that is possible...thatr has to be a bug...or something...because for a png file and some java, 25 mb is way too much

I guess if you want a lot of widgets active, at least in my case, you need to buy more memory
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Not really. Virtual memory is your friend.

Right now I have 6GB of VM being used... on a 512MB machine. No problems or slowdowns.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

SHERLOCK: Uhh.. . forgot this existed. Dont think anything has been done to it.

I think Spotlight is what Sherlock wanted to be when it grew up. Alas, I'm surprised Sherlock is still around.