Changing My Icons

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Everytime I try to paste a new icon, it doesn't work. I'm wondering if it is possible for anyone to give me a tutorial on how to do it.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Muchisgiven

Everytime I try to paste a new icon, it doesn't work. I'm wondering if it is possible for anyone to give me a tutorial on how to do it.

Thanks

it sounds like you know about the "get info" panel.

the key is to click on the icon you want to copy, and make sure it is selected -- there should be a light blue outline around the icon. then hit command-c

now open the get info for the file you want to past the icon into... same thing, click on the icon you want to replace, make sure it is selected -- there should be a light blue outline... then hit command-v

voila... icon should be replaced

once you get the hang of this, try playing around with instead of command-i for get info, try comand-option-i and the get info window becomes a kind of 'palette' (you'll see what i mean)

have fun
  • Reply 2 of 6
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

..., try comand-option-i and the get info window becomes a kind of 'palette' (you'll see what i mean)

Tried it, no change. Do i miss something?

Just curious
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Tried it, no change. Do i miss something?

Just curious

hi Voxy, enjoy...

...... "You probably know about OS X?s Get Info window (Command-I or File: Get Info, with any item selected in the Finder), whose Preview area will allow you to play audio and video files. However, opening a Get Info window for each file you want to preview is time-consuming and wastes screen real estate.

Get Info has a more powerful cousin called the Inspector, which you activate by pressing Command-option-I with an item selected in the Finder. The Inspector looks just like the Get Info window, but it?s dynamic. As you select new files in the Finder, the contents of the Inspector window change to reflect the current selection, so you can easily access previews of all your files while still benefiting from icon- and list-view windows. Just open the Inspector in an unused portion of your screen, and leave it there while you browse. That way, when you want to preview a video or listen to an audio clip, it?s just a mouse click away." .....
  • Reply 4 of 6
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

The Inspector looks just like the Get Info window, but it?s dynamic. As you select new files in the Finder, the contents of the Inspector window change to reflect the current selection, so you can easily access previews of all your files while still benefiting from icon- and list-view windows. Just open the Inspector in an unused portion of your screen, and leave it there while you browse. That way, when you want to preview a video or listen to an audio clip, it?s just a mouse click away." .....

Now Nice. Thank you.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Get Info has a more powerful cousin called the Inspector...

Damn! I've been looking for such a feature. And it was only an extra button away! Thanks guys! I love this forum!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

Damn! I've been looking for such a feature. And it was only an extra button away! Thanks guys! I love this forum!

cheers mate how awesome is OS X. I have been on OS X and Apple for almost 4 years now, and one is still discovering all this new stuff, whether one is a noob or a leet...

that my friend, is a glimpse of the promise of eternal life (or eternal geekiness, whatevah... )