Checkbook Software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am THIS (read: really) close to ditching Office for good. The one thing I cannot seem to replace, however, is Excel. I use it ONLY for keeping track of my checkbook. Isn't there any freeware/shareware checkbook balancing software out there for Mac OS X that isn't Quicken? I checked out Mesa, but it's still too much for my needs. Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    There is and I think it's called "Checkbook" or something close to that. I used it for a time and it worked OK. Check on Version Tracker or Apple's OS X software section. At times my balances seemed to be wrong, but I think that was me and not the program. Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    Why not just find a different spreadsheet software. CHeck versiontracker.com
  • Reply 3 of 9
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    Because Marriner Calc and Mesa are both beyond what I need and much more expensive than something like Checkbook. I d/led the demo. Looks like what I need for my purposes.

Any other suggestions?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Mariner Calc is another spread sheet, but that may be too much for you.

AppleWorks has a spread sheet component as well.

If you have FileMaker Pro you could either make a checkbook or there is probably such a solution already available.

I did a quick search on VersionTracker and found a dozen apps that serve some sort of checkbook function.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

I am THIS (read: really) close to ditching Office for good. The one thing I cannot seem to replace, however, is Excel. I use it ONLY for keeping track of my checkbook. Isn't there any freeware/shareware checkbook balancing software out there for Mac OS X that isn't Quicken? I checked out Mesa, but it's still too much for my needs. Any ideas? I'm stumped.

I use and like Quicken. I've heard lots of folks growling about it, but it's been my checkbook tool for years. It rarely takes me more than fifteen minutes or so to balance my accounts.

I don't use any of the other bells and whistles it's integrated with, but, as a checking account manager, I don't want anything else.

I'm curious why you are looking for something 'that isn't Quicken'.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I switched from Quicken to Checkbook.

I was using Quicken 2002, but to upgrade would have been $50.00. Checkbook is $15 (as I recall). Visually, Checkbook is much nicer.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    i would suggest taking a look @ iBank from IGG Software. very intuitive, and has some nice charting & report tools. can also do stocks.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I've heard good things about iBank as well.