Son of Next PowerMac with up to 2.5GHz 970?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A thread in Suggestions lists a fatal UBB error when posting to the <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=003106"; target="_blank">last thread</a>, so it's time to do the close/reopen dance again.

Carry on.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 182
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I can't see the 970 being debuted any later than MWNY. The G4 has reached it's limit and people are desperate for this new processor. I think IBM can and will deliver these chips in time for an introduction and we can only hope Apple will have the machines ready to go July 16.
  • Reply 2 of 182
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    The real question would be: is Apple going to announce actual machines or the intention of using the 970? Apple in the past has at least implied what was coming like the inclusion of Firewire in all machines and the intention of using the G4. I think it depends on just how close they are to being ready for release. Hopefully the optimists are correct and Apple will be ready with real hardware soon after MWNY.
  • Reply 3 of 182
    I agree, it would be great to have these new machines (970's) sooner rather than later, especially when the new iMovie update requests 700 MHz G3 or better. I bet that upsets a healthy portion of mac users. I'm using an iBook 600 MHz, and it's really slow, so the sooner they'll give us the 970's, the sooner we can all migrate to the new Apple processor. By the way, does anyone know what happened that caused such a massive delay in the intro of the 17"? Did a ship sink? Civil War? lol What was it that screwed everything up, and how many people are now hanging from rafters as a result of the screw up? I know Uncle Steve is hardly a pleasant man when things go wrong..
  • Reply 4 of 182
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>I can't see the 970 being debuted any later than MWNY. The G4 has reached it's limit and people are desperate for this new processor. I think IBM can and will deliver these chips in time for an introduction and we can only hope Apple will have the machines ready to go July 16.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If Steve can justify a three month wait for the 17" PowerBook, then he can certainly justify a MWNY 970 launch with October delivery.

This is precisely what I think Apple must (and will) do.
  • Reply 6 of 182
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    [quote]Originally posted by Brian Green:

<strong>I know Uncle Steve is hardly a pleasant man when things go wrong..</strong><hr></blockquote>

I heard that there was this Steve who was eating at a diner.Â* And when some dude dropped a spoon Steve killed the whole town.
  • Reply 7 of 182
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member

<strong>Did you miss my thread on precisely that?

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=003109"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=003109</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

Yes, Fran I guess I did, my bad. It's obvious though that we are in complete agreement on this. 970's must be announced at MWNY even if they don't ship until Christmas.
  • Reply 8 of 182
    [quote]Yes, Fran I guess I did, my bad. It's obvious though that we are in complete agreement on this. 970's must be announced at MWNY even if they don't ship until Christmas.<hr></blockquote>

Exactly.
  • Reply 9 of 182
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member

<strong>I can't see the 970 being debuted any later than MWNY. The G4 has reached it's limit and people are desperate for this new processor. I think IBM can and will deliver these chips in time for an introduction and we can only hope Apple will have the machines ready to go July 16.</strong><hr></blockquote>

An educated guess says you're right!
  • Reply 10 of 182
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    This is an off topic reply to T'hain concerning the PS3 in the now closed thread-

"Get real. You expect Sony to release a console to blow every mainfrain off the planet away.."

[quote]

PS3 will be as powerful as 50 Dual G4 PowerMacs!

It's still 2 years away, but it will be worth the wait. Sony's PS3 will be able to do 1 Teraflop, or about about as many gigaflops as 50 of the latest Apple Dual G4 PowerMacs.

Just think, if Apple decides to switch from the rumored 970 to Sony's PS3 CPU in 2005? A PowerMac that can do 1 Teraflop! It makes you froth. That would easily smoke anything Intel plans until 2010.

Tim Sweeney, chief executive of Epic Games in Raleigh, N.C., said that programming games for the PS 3 will be far more complicated than for the PS 2 because the programmer will have to keep track of all the tasks being performed by dozens of processors.

``I can't imagine how you will actually program it,'' he said. ``You do all these tasks in parallel, but the results of one task may affect the results of another task.''

But Sony and its partners believe that if they can coordinate those processors at maximum efficiency, the PS 3 will be able to process a trillion math operations per second -- the equivalent of 100 Intel Pentium 4 chips and 1,000 times faster than processing power of the PS 2.

<a href="http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/5311288.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/5311288.htm</a>;

<hr></blockquote>

So yea, I guess I do. So am I real now?

[ 03-07-2003: Message edited by: KidRed ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 182
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    My 2 cents (Canadian currency):

1. The 970 involves a major architecture change i.e. taking the platform from 32 to 64 bit. The logical question raised is what software will benefit from this and what new possibilities are here that weren't before.

This is a developer issue. Apple will also need software to drive 970 sales (that is, from non-AI folks) so there has to be a gap between announce and delivery to allow software makers to update or code entirely new software.

Thus the 970 will be announced in May at WWDC, demoed (with bakeoff) at MWNY and delivered in September.

And since 64-bit change is helpful to databases, expect 10.3 to be shown as well, where the Finder becomes a giant complicated database.

2. Kidred; I'm no expert, but I think you're missing the difference between a Console CPU and a Computer CPU.

One is built primarily to throw frames on the screen at a blistering pace (largely so that would-be teenage deviants can hone their shooting skills.) The other is a more general purpose unit, used to process a more diverse set of commands.

Apple can't simply plug in a PS3 CPU and make the PowerMac faster.
  • Reply 12 of 182
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I think that the deadline for the PPC 970 powermac will be MWSF 2004. However if the rumors of good yields of the PPC 970 are true, there is no reason to see this ship sooner. An announce in july and a release in september sound realistic.
  • Reply 13 of 182
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    On my whising list

10.3 with a journaling file system and 64 bit and hopefully case avare not just case preserving, and of definitively multi chanel sound support

Applications and OS support for filenames longer than 31 letters

Dual 970 that are way too fast

Having them aviable in mid october would fit my shopping habits
  • Reply 14 of 182
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I think that we should speak of the spec of the mobo. I expect these new features :

- serial ATA disk. Serial ATA is very apple like, with his philisophy of plug and play. Serial ATA disk (the first disk avalaible) are faster than ATA 133, and requires less work from the CPU.

- USB 2 : Apple claim it's unnecessary, but there is many peripherics who work better on USB 2 : so i wish that Apple will implementate it.
  • Reply 15 of 182
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    A small selection of things I hate:

1) Serial ATA

2) 10GB Ethernet

3) USB 2.0

Why? They all have one thing in common. They are inhibiting FireWire as the single high speed wired connection standard.

FireWire r0x0r, these sUx0r.

Barto
  • Reply 16 of 182
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Don't know why, but I believe these guys.

<a href="http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/archives/000046.php"; target="_blank">MacWhispers.</a>

Intro July, shipping "late summer."
  • Reply 17 of 182
    [quote]Originally posted by Barto:

<strong>

FireWire r0x0r, these sUx0r.</strong><hr></blockquote>

MmMMmm... Looks at recharging iPod... MmMMmm...

[quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>This is an off topic reply to T'hain concerning the PS3 in the now closed thread-

"Get real. You expect Sony to release a console to blow every mainfrain off the planet away.."

So yea, I guess I do. So am I real now?</strong><hr></blockquote>

[quote]Originally posted by Frank777:

<strong>

2. Kidred; I'm no expert, but I think you're missing the difference between a Console CPU and a Computer CPU.

One is built primarily to throw frames on the screen at a blistering pace (largely so that would-be teenage deviants can hone their shooting skills.) The other is a more general purpose unit, used to process a more diverse set of commands.

Apple can't simply plug in a PS3 CPU and make the PowerMac faster.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No you arent!
  • Reply 18 of 182
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    [quote]Originally posted by Harald:

<strong><a href="http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/archives/000046.php"; target="_blank">MacWhispers.</a>

Intro July, shipping "late summer."</strong><hr></blockquote>

3 to 4 months claimed by MacWhispers turn into July?August. So September seems the most likely date for mass production and, probably, even shipment of PowerMacs. Somebody on these boards hoped they would come sooner.

And it does seem like new CPUs, because PPC 7457 is said to be a simple drop-in replacement for current G4s.
  • Reply 19 of 182
    First of all, 3 months from now is June.

Second of all, when did we start listening to MacWhispers? They don't have very much credibility you know.
  • Reply 20 of 182
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    [quote]Intro July, shipping "late summer."<hr></blockquote>

Is that "late summer" in the same sense that it is now "early summer" ?