Shoes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I need new shoes. I've been wearing New Balance forever now but now that I've graduated college I need a more adult looking style.

The only problem I can think of is that I'm terrible with the over-pronating and I'll occassionally get heel pain that seems to be getting gradually worse (could be that I've had the same NB 475s for 2.5 years).

So I was checking out shoes and I came across these, Clarks Halogen.

I love the way they look and I'm going to hunt around in Austin this weekend for a place to try them out, but I'd like to get some suggestions (and any tips from people who have had Clarks in the past).

I'm also looking for suggestions from fellow over-pronators.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    One word: Birkenstock
  • Reply 2 of 21
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    okay, fine two

ECCO

I'm not certain I feel comfortable giving you shoe recommendations; does this make our relationship more meaningful?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

okay, fine two

ECCO

I'm not certain I feel comfortable giving you shoe recommendations; does this make our relationship more meaningful?

I second the suggestion of ECCO. I can't stand wearing anything but ECCO anymore. They're the best; by far the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. (Sandles too!)
  • Reply 4 of 21
    corbucorbu Posts: 40member
    TIMBERLAND...!
  • Reply 5 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I have flat feet. It's the non-technical term for over-pronation.

Do NOT get shoes with "arch supports." They will just cause endless pain, and Birkenstoks are in this boat. I've never given Ecco a serious consideration because they are very wide. I have narrow feet.

I actually wear indoor soccer shoes around the most, as they are slipper-like and I'm in the middle of a foot-excercise program that promises to correct flat feet over 2 years or so. But I'm a runner, too, and the bottom line is that there's no replacement for custom insoles. If you have bad foot mechanics, they are a must. They'll cost you ~$400 for two pairs, but they last for years and will make any shoe feel great. Some helathcare plans actually account for orthotic insoles. If yours does, get them right away. If it doesn't, you still should get them.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I've got wide feet (11 EE in New Balance) so ECCO might be something to look into then. (Their business shoes look very nice.)

Spline:

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to look into my health plan to see what I might be able to work out with custom orthotics. I had been reluctant, but hell, I pay for the damned insurance.

As far as shoes with arch support, I'm going to have to disagree to some extent. The first time I ever got shoes with real support (some New Balance about 4 years ago) and put some Superfeet insole inserts into it I felt like an entirely new person. I had always had ankle pain after walking/running any kind of distance due to the flat feet and the combined support of the NB sole and the Superfeet insole was great. I had always worn skater shoes in high school, not wise.

I think the problem now is that I haven't had the Superfeet insole in for a long time (little nephew swiped them out of my shoes and I couldn't ever find them) and the shoes are way past their turn-in date.

With custom orthotics, I don't see how the extra support could hurt with my goddam duck walk. I need something to force my feet into the proper position. Maybe I'll just smash the bones in my feet up and make doctors re-form them.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    My regular black leather shoes are Clarks. I tried nearly every pair in the store and these both fit and looked good. So far they have held up fine. Recommended.

My feet are not just flat but wide.

edit: one thing about flatfootedness. I think it helps most people overcome or ignore the problem if the muscles of the sole are strong enough. To this end, it's a good idea to have several different pairs of shoes (different kind of load), exercise in a way that strengthens the soles, and generally spend as much time without shoes as possible. I have never had significant problems from my feet, and I attribute it in part to barefooted martial arts practice.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

My feet are not just flat but wide.

Hey there flat & wide foot brother!
  • Reply 9 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I have narrow feet too. It seems very hard to find shoes made for narrow feet. Even the designer boutiques like Ferragamo and Gucci don't stock narrow sizes (size E) in Hong Kong at all. They have all the wide sizes. If I'm going to spend US$500 on a pair of shoes you're damn straight it's going to be narrow width. So I've never bought a pair of expensive designer shoes. Well, except for my Miu Miu, but they weren't all that expensive, and they ARE narrow, by chance, not design.

I guess folks in Hong Kong are prone to wide feet. It seems like all of the Orientals/Asians/Whatever I know tend to have wide legs and wide feet, but my sample size is pretty small so take the generalization with a grain of salt. Mediterreans seem to have narrow legs and narrow feet. The trouble is that the shoes they make tend to be expensive.

Anyway, is size E even narrow at all? I am a B, and thought E was wide.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Forget style--go with comfort--make sure you try them on before you buy them.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    dude i have wide feet, i swear by my new balances. everytime i have tried any other shoe in the past several years, it is too tight, slightly uncomfortable, and i get plantar warts, i kid you not...

i'm gonna be wearing my NBs (dark blue cross-trainers-ish) to my new job next week (lecturing/tutoring Flash at an art college 1 day a week)

well, wish me luck at the new job, i think i can get away with sneakers if i wear long black trousers and a stylish collared long sleeve shirt (because i look/am young i dont wanna be confused with the students )
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Go Converses!

Particularly Ostrich Leather Converses at Zappos.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    I have normal feet.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Yeah Ecco's are good. Kumfs (a NZ company) are very comfy (or perhaps kumfy) but I think they only make women's shoes. These days I usually wear my Jazz shoes because, needless to say, they are also very comfy, and it saves me having to change.

You'd look pretty swish in these grover and would definitely make a statement.

I've got two pairs like that. One in black leather and one in blue suede.

Or if you're not into hightops, how about these.

• Reply 15 of 21
    Bought the Halogens and a set of New Balance 1122 today at a local shoe store.

I am very happy with both of them. I won't even need insoles for the 1122s, they were designed with long-arched bastards like me in mind.

I got the Halogens in a big enough size to put some insoles in there.

The store actually has a podiatrist on staff to check a shoe's fit before the customer buys a shoe, how awesome is that?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I am very happy with both of them. I won't even need insoles for the 1122s, they were designed with long-arched bastards like me in mind.

The store actually has a podiatrist on staff to check a shoe's fit before the customer buys a shoe, how awesome is that?

when i bought my new balances from the NB store in downtown/financial district san francisco in 2001/2002, the shoe dude was a real fanatic and knew tons... i even got to test run around a bit in the lobby of an office building right next to the shoe store....

enjoy matey
  • Reply 17 of 21
    DIESEL! its all i wear and all that i can stand...
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow

DIESEL! its all i wear and all that i can stand...

fashion victim

nah mate it's cool i got a Diesel shirt on right now... tie dye
  • Reply 19 of 21
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Hey Grove, what store in Austin? In-store podiatrist, what a cool idea. I like New Balance as well as Ecco. When you need to save $$$ go to DSW up near the Arboretum. Name brands cheap. I also got a cool pair of Gordon Rush sneakers in warm green suede at Nordstrom's last year. Not cheap, but nice.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Karavel