How to refresh window connected to windows

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm networked to a laptop running windows 2k. I'm taking screen shots and dumping them into the My Pictures folder. I want to drag them over to my Mac for a report I'm writing.

I don't see a way to refresh the list of displayed file names from the Mac. The only I know is to log out and log back in. This works but is a awkward. Anything easier than this?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

I'm networked to a laptop running windows 2k. I'm taking screen shots and dumping them into the My Pictures folder. I want to drag them over to my Mac for a report I'm writing.

I don't see a way to refresh the list of displayed file names from the Mac. The only I know is to log out and log back in. This works but is a awkward. Anything easier than this?

Thanks

If you go up one level on the Mac and open the folder again it'll refresh.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

If you go up one level on the Mac and open the folder again it'll refresh.

Tried that but it didn't work for me. I tried all sorts of combinations of command click on the proxy icon then going up one level, using the back button on the finder window, closing the window and opening a new window then navigating down to the My Pictures folder, but none of this worked.

I found these suggestions in the OS X help messages:

Copy a file from your Mac to the Windows folder.

Create a new folder in the Windows folder.

Log out from your computer, then log in again and connect to the Windows computer.

The first suggestion works for me. I created a small test file and put it on my desktop. Now when I want to refresh the window shared by the W2k machine I drag that same file to the window, let it replace itself and then the list of files is updated. sort of a numpty way to go but that's life.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Hopefully Tiger adds a refresh, does Windows have this?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    In windows for every open window there is a command View/Refresh to update the list of files and folders. OS X does this automagically. That is the disconnect.