New Cinema Displays at WWDC

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by garyp

Depends on what you use the computer for. I use it to make art. I feel like a slave tied to a keyboard & a chair, a short distance from a small screen. I'd rather roam about the room talking to a magic wall of light that does my bidding. Imagination is important to some, & unimportant to others.

Exactly, A bigger display will benefit artists and designers the most.

It would be great to see from the distance what we are creating and for me because I work a lot in storyboards it would make nice to see the layout of a whole sequence of animation frames.

This is one the reasons I would love to have a 30"plus monitor.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    So its not even really suited for FCP use either? A 30 incher and a 23" would be more logic here.

I think that leaves a very narrow marked.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

So its not even really suited for FCP use either? A 30 incher and a 23" would be more logic here.

Of course not.

FCP, After Effects and 3D people would benefit immensely for the same reasons plus the fact these programs are palette intensive would benefit as well because you could put more palettes or enlarge them in the canvas. It's a win-win situation.

Also, Apple could market the same screen to the home entertainment crowd making the market even bigger to such a screen.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    With the above mentioned limitations of larger LCD screens I don´t see what anything above 30 inch would benefit to those people that a higher dpi would not do better on the current screens.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Quote:

With the above mentioned limitations of larger LCD screens I don´t see what anything above 30 inch would benefit to those people that a higher dpi would not do better on the current screens.

You must be under 50.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:

I guess you don't get it.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    IMHO these are the benefits/drawbacks of such large monitor.

Benefits:

?Great for visualization.

?Great for palette intensive applications.

?Great for old folks that need room to expand windows and enlarge type to see better(garyP) :-)

?Great to have many windows and applications open at the same time.

?Possible use for entertainment screen to see movies and play games.

?great for people who don't like dual monitors.

Drawbacks:

? you'll need a large desk

? it's not going to be cheap. But if you make a living in front of the computer all day, the benefits will pay in the long run.

? you'll need a fast computer and good video cards to run this beast.

I am sure there are more benefits in the end than drawbacks.

The point is all about the options available. If people think is too big, then buy a smaller one. In the end is all about what you like, what your necessities are and what your budget is. I am in all favor of the possibility to have one if I want one. So, I hope to see something bigger (hopefully a little cheaper) coming soon.

My 2 cents.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    This may be boku, but it's not TOO boku.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

I have to agree that 30" is probably a little big for my tastes. I'd rather have a pair of 20, or 23 inchers, or one of each really.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    the refresh, contrast and size of the Dell 24 outperform Apple bigtime. It also has alot of conection options like a built in media reader, every connection imaginable, and an unbeatable price. Apple wins in how great the monitor looks next to the G5 however, and has the distinction of SWAP color sertifiication so you know you can get the best possibleh t color from an LCD. To me, with all the problems the 23" Apple has had, it's a no brainer to go with the Dell. The 20" widescrean I am using right now is freaking beautiful. And at $370 it's just silly...
  • Reply 31 of 36
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I just ordered a Dell 24" on Ebay - $963 including shipping. Much easier than checking www.fatwallet.com every day looking for coupon numbers - and when you order from Dell you have to pay tax, so even the $870 deal would be more than $963 when you count tax and shipping.

If you buy there, read the shipping terms carefully, some have $135 shipping/insurance.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    I didnt get charged any tax i dont beleive. Maybe it was built into the price, but I didnt think so. slickdeals.net had showed the 20" wide screen for $470 (last month, it's a hundred less now of course) if I bought an extra one dollare item and applied 2 cupons, and thats exactly what i spent. Shipping was free on this deal.

What you will find is ebay auctions are reselling the these special deals for a few extra bucks, my business partner makes alot of money at that game.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    [QUOTEI didnt get charged any tax i dont beleive.[/QUOTE]

"Dell Catalog Sales LP currently collects applicable sales tax in California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin."

Not in Virginia - but they tax NC.

• Reply 34 of 36
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Apple does need to cut their monitor prices, but could get away with a lower cut if they over to organic diodes.

Regarding the >30in., I would love to see Apple come out with say a 35in Cinema Display that can be wall-mounted (for those not wanting to be stuck behind a generic desk) or for Desk mounting Apple comes out or jointly designs with Hermann Miller an ergonomic desk that includes an attachable fork like swing arm that can be attached on the far left, center or far right of the desk giving one the option to put the monitor up and away from the desk keeping the desk optimized for your tablet, keyboard, books and whatnot. Depending on where on decides to put their desk in a room they can recess the monitor up and away to satisfy many ergonomic settings and human frames.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

[QUOTEI didnt get charged any tax i dont beleive.

"Dell Catalog Sales LP currently collects applicable sales tax in California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin."

Not in Virginia - but they tax NC.
    [/QUOTE]

All right!! No tax for me.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    dave jdave j Posts: 84member
    Anyone up on the new carbon nanotube (?) technology? Sposed to cut production costs. Now being used as backlights only AFAIK. This means far cheaper repairs; if the backlight quits, replace only one instead of up to 16.