Broken Al PB latch - how to get fixed?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 15" screen latch is no longer working. The screen will close, the latch will pop down, but it won't lock.

I don't have Applecare and my warranty is past it's year.

Where can I get this fixed? Will Apple fix it for a price? Or a third-party company?

Who has the best price for this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Can you tell why it doesn't latch? Early on there were some reports of failing latches that could be fixed by carefully bending the little part that pops down.

Apart from that, sure, various sources, including Apple would fix this for a fee. You might try an Apple store. They now do simple repairs on-site and this might qualify. Beats Fed-exing your PB all over the universe.

Third party repairs:

http://techrestore.com/

http://www.powerbookresq.com/

I've had no experience with either vendor.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Apple fixed mine for free when the latch mechanism BROKE. Looks around the casing to see if there's ANYTHING that might have caused it. Any bulges? That's what got mine fixed for free.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jessearljessearl Posts: 103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Apple fixed mine for free when the latch mechanism BROKE. Looks around the casing to see if there's ANYTHING that might have caused it. Any bulges? That's what got mine fixed for free.

Well, my screen has a slight wiggle in it where it connects to the bracket. But it has had that since almost the beginning.

Everywhere I read it seems as if this is a common issue, and not necessairly a defect.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I had a similar problem when i first got my powerbook. The latch didn;t always come down but it usually would after a bit of time. So, following my dad's advice, i called applecare not to ask for it to be fixed but rather to just get a support ticket in the system so if something happened, i would have prooof that it wasn;'t from abuse or anything like that
  • Reply 5 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    my powerbooks latch release button got stuck within the first week of my powerbook, Apple gave me a brand new computer - I think they need to improve the reliability, i know it's more attractive than sticking plastic out like on PCs but it doesn't last very long!