Power light flashes but nothing happens....

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I went to sleep leaving my G3 400 imac in target mode last night, backing up files to my powerbook. When I got up this morning, the files had copied, but the iMac had powered off and now won't start up. All that is happening is that the green powerlight on the front of the machine flashes briefly, and that's it. No sound or hard drive activity and screen remains blank. Any ideas??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gajones

I went to sleep leaving my G3 400 imac in target mode last night, backing up files to my powerbook. When I got up this morning, the files had copied, but the iMac had powered off and now won't start up. All that is happening is that the green powerlight on the front of the machine flashes briefly, and that's it. No sound or hard drive activity and screen remains blank. Any ideas??

Tried holding down the power button for more than 5 seconds?

--B
  • Reply 2 of 9
    gajonesgajones Posts: 12member
    gave that a go, unfortunately still the same.....
  • Reply 3 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

gave that a go, unfortunately still the same.....

Is there a reset button on the area where you plug USB stuff in? Try that. Depending on the model, it may be a hole that you need a paper clip for, or it may be an actual tiny button.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

You can also try zapping the PRAM.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    thanks for the suggestions - tried the reset and PRAM but no luck. I also tried resetting the PMU. I think it may be something more serious.... \
  • Reply 6 of 9
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

thanks for the suggestions - tried the reset and PRAM but no luck. I also tried resetting the PMU. I think it may be something more serious.... \

Hmm. I've had this problem before with a desktop machine, and I had to push the little PMU button to resolve it. I seem to remember that I had this problem once with an old iMac and all I did was unplug it overnight.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I tried removing the battery and the ram, resetting the pmu and leaving it overnight. still the same this morning unfortunately. My guess is it's either a fuse or the logic board has died.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

I tried removing the battery and the ram, resetting the pmu and leaving it overnight. still the same this morning unfortunately. My guess is it's either a fuse or the logic board has died.

Hmmm. I guess if resetting the PMU (CUDA) didn't work, there's not much else to try.

Here is a thread that might help though:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]
  • Reply 9 of 9
    benzenebenzene Posts: 338member
    If it's the down convertor board, I have an extra one that should fit your machine. Let me know if you narrow it down.