Adobe CS works with Tiger?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I noticed an item somewhere that Adobe CS 2 would work seamlessly with Tiger. That got me thinking. Does that imply that Adobe CS might not run on Tiger? That seems odd. I don't mind if CS is missing a few features but I'd hate to be forced into an upgrade I'm not ready for.

I don't mean to be alarmist. Just wondering.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Why would Apple make changes that would cause programs to stop working.

Of course CS will work perfectly with Tiger. It will do everything that it does in Panther.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Thanks. As I said, I'm not trying to be alarmist. Just curious.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    estebanesteban Posts: 85member
    Curious as to where you saw that article. As far as I know, CS2 will not utilize core image technology... that would be truly seamless.

And I wouldn't hold my breath for it either. Adobe is definitely going to have their hands full incorporating Macromedia over the next year or so.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Sorry, I can't recall exactly. It was a catch-all thing about vendors getting ready for Tiger (maybe at Maccentral?). There was a very short quote about CS2 working well with Tiger. That got my attention. If they had to do something to make CS2 work with Tiger did that mean that CS would not? In retrospect it was probably more of a PR thing.

Reporter: Will your new product work with Apple's new product?

Marketer: Yes, we are perfectly compatible with Apple's new product.

What's he going to say? No?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    The current Adobe Creative Suite works fine in the retail copy of tiger.

Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

Sorry, I can't recall exactly. It was a catch-all thing about vendors getting ready for Tiger (maybe at Maccentral?). There was a very short quote about CS2 working well with Tiger. That got my attention. If they had to do something to make CS2 work with Tiger did that mean that CS would not? In retrospect it was probably more of a PR thing.

Reporter: Will your new product work with Apple's new product?

Marketer: Yes, we are perfectly compatible with Apple's new product.

What's he going to say? No?

• Reply 6 of 18
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    It's just a Carbon App Suite.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    A little off topic, but since we're talking about CS and CS2, I was wondering what other rumormongers thought of the new CS2 suite. I have CS1 and don't see any reason to upgrade, however I haven't looked at the CS2 feature list in depth.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Here are the features in Photoshop and Illustrator. Personally, I don't really think the upgrade is really worth it. It's about the same difference between 7 and CS.

Photoshop:

*Vanishing point tool -

*Multiple layer control - move, transform, warp, align multiple objects better than previous versions.

*Smart (vector) object support is improved

*Image warping tool

Illustrator

*Live Trace - converts images with line drawings into vector images

*Live Paint - hand-in-hand with Live Trace, it can create shapes from lines. Smart about overlaps and gaps.

*Improved context control palette

*Control different layers in PSD files from Illustrator
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

Thanks. Sorry for raising anyone's anxiety level.

FYI, I probably won't upgrade to CS2. I'm a fairly low level user of ID. I'm just getting up to speed with CS. No need to upgrade to CS 2.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    vanishing point looks like a VERY significant feature. cs2 looks like a pretty good upgrade. between that and some more improvements in indesign are enough for me.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I don't know about it being VERY significant. VERY cool looking maybe. But I mean seriously, unless my job description happened to be "guy that extends perspective on images for whole company," I really can't see myself using that a whole lot.

It would probably take about five mintes to do that by hand, which (easy math) saves five minutes every single time I use it. So I really don't think it's VERY useful.

Remindes me of when they added that color matching tool they added to CS from 7. I admit I don't do tons of color matching, but I do do some. I would say that it saved me probably zero time. Most of the time I found that I did not really like the automatic job and did it by hand anyway.

*The Live Trace, on the other hand does look like it could be quite useful. Assuming that it works pretty good, that would be very handy.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Perhaps the most significant feature for me will be the Bridge application, but then again I will have to try it out first and see how well I like it before I say that its a must have feature(I work a lot with RAW files).

Quote:

The Live Trace, on the other hand does look like it could be quite useful. Assuming that it works pretty good, that would be very handy. [/B]

Im guessing this will finally be the replacement for Streamline... I suppose we will just have to wait and see.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit

I don't know about it being VERY significant. VERY cool looking maybe. But I mean seriously, unless my job description happened to be "guy that extends perspective on images for whole company," I really can't see myself using that a whole lot.

It would probably take about five mintes to do that by hand, which (easy math) saves five minutes every single time I use it. So I really don't think it's VERY useful.

not really. trying to clone something like a hardwood floor takes a lot longer than five minutes to do really well. but point taken that it's not something that's done every day. i guess i mean it's just a very smart feature that i've had need for on many occassions on retouching jobs. there are ways around it, but this is an elegant solution. if only they had included non-destructive filters then that would have been a big step. honestly, at this point there isn't too much more they can do to photoshop that i can see. i'm very interested to see the changed in indesign though.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Just thought I'd check. Tiger has been out for a few days now. Anyone using ID CS with Tiger?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    sasasasa Posts: 21member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

That's interesting (and encouraging)... there seem to be quite a few people in the Adobe Illustrator/PS forums complaining about glitches with CS + Tiger.

For instance, drag and drop no longer working between Adobe apps... some file formats not showing up as 'Save As' options, etc.

Anyone here noticed the same?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sasa

For instance, drag and drop no longer working between Adobe apps... some file formats not showing up as 'Save As' options, etc.

Anyone here noticed the same?

I have CS and Tiger on my iMac.

I drag and drop from PS to ID every day.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    There is an articler on Adobe abut the same problem when doing Archive and Install. You need to either reinstall it or move a certain file from the previous system folder. You will have to search Adobe's site for info.

Moving the file (and the preceding folder which wasn't present int he new system) not only made the drag to the dock work but PS CS loaded faster
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Just picked up these two cautions from Macintouch.

http://www.macintouch.com/tigerrevie...atibility.html

Reader report: "There is a potential issue installing Adobe Creative Suite on Mac OS X 10.4. If the install volume is formatted as "case-sensitive" the Adobe Creative Suite installer will not install."

One reader report: "After upgrading to Tiger, we could no longer copy and paste anything out of Illustrator. It turns out that "Enable Version Cue" needs to be turned on under the Illustrator->Preferences->File Handling & Clipboard.... Once you enable that, it all works again."