Perpetual Quad-core PowerMac Speculation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Apologies for the neophyte type question, but since you all are talking multi-cores, I thought I would ask. With current dual-processor, single-core powermacs, am I correct in thinking that software needs to be written specifically to take advantage of the additional processor? Would the same hold true for multiple core processors? I guess a simpler way of asking the question is if I took my hard drive and plopped it into a multiple core or multiple processor machine of equivalent clock speed, would I see a performance improvement?
  • Reply 22 of 64
    dave jdave j Posts: 84member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikenap

If Apple just shipes a 200 mhz upgrade, on the old chip line, it's going to be ugly.

pcmag.com

Yeah! We want your Apple ass outta town by sundown!
  • Reply 23 of 64
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kishan

With current dual-processor, single-core powermacs, am I correct in thinking that software needs to be written specifically to take advantage of the additional processor?

Yes. But OS X and many apps already take advantage of multiple processors.

Quote:

Would the same hold true for multiple core processors?

Yes. A multi-core chip is logically the same as several single-core processors.

Quote:

I guess a simpler way of asking the question is if I took my hard drive and plopped it into a multiple core or multiple processor machine of equivalent clock speed, would I see a performance improvement?

Yes.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Any apps that are already written to take advantage multiple processors will have compatibility, and take the same advantages of dual core processors. 2 cores, are essentially, and truthfully 2 processors. They are the processor cores - it's the same thing, and there are a ton of apps on OS X that already take advantage of it.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Any apps that are already written to take advantage multiple processors will have compatibility, and take the same advantages of dual core processors. 2 cores, are essentially, and truthfully 2 processors. They are the processor cores - it's the same thing, and there are a ton of apps on OS X that already take advantage of it.

it's nice when a fairly reputable company like Newtek/Lightwave announce multi-core support:

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/04-18-05e.html

cant wait to take it for a spin once a dual-core dual-G5 2.5ghz comes out... Lightwave rendering will f8cking scream !!!!! YEAH !!!!111!!!

*slaps hand* damn i gotta stop using the 1s in the !!!s
  • Reply 26 of 64
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD

who cares? he's wrong

Quote:

we'll see

Quote:

if you guys only knew...

But you have nothing to add, unless it is to detract from what anyone else has to say?!?

What an a$$...
  • Reply 27 of 64
    you're right, i don't have anything to add, because if i added anything, apple's lawyers would have a field day with me. and you're also right about me being an ass. i could just keep the fact that i know a little something you don't, but i just had to rub it in. sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    dave jdave j Posts: 84member
    Quote:

i could just keep the fact that i know a little something you don't, but i just had to rub it in. sorry, couldn't resist.

Well you could follow Morpheus' example and drop subtle, enigmatic hints. And Morpheus is following a modified modus operandi of the original Deep Throat.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave J

Well you could follow Morpheus' example and drop subtle, enigmatic hints. And Morpheus is following a modified modus operandi of the original Deep Throat.

or give us a series of clues that will make up your 'protocol' (yes i have been watching too much Alias..!!)

so then, we can scan all your posts on appleinsider to decrypt your hidden messages. lawyers, apple-hired or otherwise, won't be smart enough to figure this out

let the conspiracy leaks begin...!
  • Reply 30 of 64
    We wants it

We needs it

We must haves it!

• Reply 31 of 64
    well, i did make an e-mail account where i sent myself a message a few weeks ago, explaining the "secret" i knew. I even had a friend send an e-mail to it to verify the exact date i sent the e-mail with the "secret" i could use this to prove my insider knowledge. then again, it's not that you guys doubt me, but rather want some hints, huh? well, i can't do that; oh well\
  • Reply 32 of 64
    well, to further the hysteria that seems to be rampant in this forum you could simply mention whether:

we will be pleasantly surprised

or:

not.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    honestly, i don't know the answer to that question. all i was told was "when." but like most people here, i find it hard to believe apple will only provide a 200 MHz speed bump.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    pismoxpismox Posts: 7member
    Quote:

honestly, i don't know the answer to that question. all i was told was "when." but like most people here, i find it hard to believe apple will only provide a 200 MHz speed bump.

I have been reading all your posts throughout AppleInsider Forums, and you have me 100% convinced you know something. However, it is surprising a 21-year old would have such information. If you really do, I am both impressed and jealous.

In any event, I am now hoping Tuesday will be a beautiful day.

(If not, I am sleeping until WWDC!) lol

Thanks for the "support" you are trying to provide for us addicts.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I'm guessing if its before WWDC and not at some other special event, we will not be pleasantly surprised. Quads qualify for a Steve-note of some kind.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    pismoxpismox Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

I'm guessing if its before WWDC and not at some other special event, we will not be pleasantly surprised. Quads qualify for a Steve-note of some kind.

I don't care what gets announced, I am buying a new Mac ASAP. However, I only buy at the beginning of product cycles, as I can not stand being too outdated.

I want new Macs Tuesday because I am impatient. I agree if new PMs are announced on Tuesday they will be considered a "poor" update by many. On the other hand, I will have a brand new, top-of-the-line "GeeFive" that will hold its value the maximum amount of time.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by pismox

I have been reading all your posts throughout AppleInsider Forums, and you have me 100% convinced you know something. However, it is surprising a 21-year old would have such information. If you really do, I am both impressed and jealous.

Thanks for the "support" you are trying to provide for us addicts.

i had an internship at Apple's PR agency for Europe. I was told the date of the Tiger announcement, the 2nd store to open in europe (birmingham, UK) and something about the powermac. granted, my placement is over, so i need to savor this last bit of inside information as much as i can
  • Reply 38 of 64
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

Ok, so the whole NAB prediction was off.

Thinksecret has been off on timing of release predictions in the past two years. BUT their configurations have ALWAYS been within 100mhz and the rest of the specs were pretty much dead on. If I was apple and were going to released 200mhz update, I sure as hell wouldn't do it at NAB, more like on a monday night at 3:00 am

New updates are obviously going to come, then we can all tell nr9 to screw off with his (apple will never release a cpu higher than 2.5ghz inside info). I just hope they are higher than 2.7ghz or they have a 3-500 price drop.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pismox

People really really need to stop talking about tuesdays. Go look at Macrumors buyers guide, look for the last tuesday apple announceda product on? I can't even remember one for the last 4 major announcements, powermacs? no (wed), powerbooks? no (wed), iMacs? no (wed), iPods? no (monday), ACDs? no (mon)...

The tuesday myth was a fluke... forget about tuesdays
  • Reply 40 of 64
    markydmarkyd Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

(hey! you in the back, again! I said speculators, not speculums! the clinic is down the street...)

Be careful. Lundy just might jump in here with his speculum.