First copies of Mac OS X Tiger ship

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i'm kinda glad mine is NOT on its way. i got plans this weekend, with jazz fest around the corner, and if tiger arrived today or tomorrow, i'd probably be sequestered in front of my computer all weekend... yes, i truly am THAT pathetic when it comes to new software.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    I might have thought this was a mixed reason between making room in the warehouse as well as trying to combat the quick release of the software to the filesharing sites.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

I always order directly from Apple. I figure helps there bottom line and then they have a record of exactly what I have bought ever. I have heard they give favors to frequent buyers.

Giving you a treat when you buy stuff above market price is not really worth it IMO. \
  • Reply 24 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by CrowFreak

Did anyone order from MacMall expecting delivery on April 29th? There website stated delivery by next Friday, but I just talked to them and they said it won't be shipping now until the 29th. Starting to regret ordering from them now.

go here: http://www.fuckmacmall.com
  • Reply 25 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by macbeemer

go here: http://www.fuckmacmall.com

Sad to see that the customer service is so atrocious. I decided that I am going to cancel my order with them and just get it from somewhere else. The name of the site says exactly what I was thinking.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by CrowFreak

Sad to see that the customer service is so atrocious. I decided that I am going to cancel my order with them and just get it from somewhere else. The name of the site says exactly what I was thinking.

I don't do business with MacMall because I don't like their business practices.

That said, the guy with the FuckMacMall site is an idiot. Only a moron would return merchandise without an RMA and without a trackable carrier.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

Giving you a treat when you buy stuff above market price is not really worth it IMO. \

How are they charging above market price? Free shipping with promised delivery by the day of release seems pretty fair. Of course, maybe they really won me over with the educational price of $69.

What I think is ridiculous is that iLife '05 is $59. I mean come on, $70 for a major OS update and $60 for a minor app suite update? I guess I'll wait and see what '06 offers.

Anybody else think iLife updates should be free or at least a minimal upgrade fee?

• Reply 28 of 78
    jonnybjonnyb Posts: 64member
    I'm in the UK too and they seem to have changed their language about delivery. When the announcment was made they said this about the seminar:

"The seminar launches along with Tiger on April 29. If you pre-order today, we'll deliver Tiger to you on that same day?no waiting. Then, after you install it, you can watch the seminar and begin exploring the new features on your Mac right along with the hosts. They'll deliver expert information, tips and tricks you won't find anywhere else."

Now all they're saying is shipping by the 29th.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jonnyb

I'm in the UK too and they seem to have changed their language about delivery. When the announcment was made they said this about the seminar:

"The seminar launches along with Tiger on April 29. If you pre-order today, we'll deliver Tiger to you on that same day?no waiting. Then, after you install it, you can watch the seminar and begin exploring the new features on your Mac right along with the hosts. They'll deliver expert information, tips and tricks you won't find anywhere else."

Now all they're saying is shipping by the 29th.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. The only reason I ordered my copy from the AppleStore was because I wanted to make sure that I got hold of it on the 29th AT THE LATEST.

There are several Apple dealers near where I work, and I'd be able to pick up a copy on the 29th anyway. My order originally stated "Before the 29th", now it says "On or before the 29th". From previous experience, it can take weeks for orders to arrive from Eire...
  • Reply 30 of 78
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

That disc looks like a developers version - "includes Xcode 2".

While I don't doubt that some 10.4 shipments have gone out, that looks just like the disc I got when I joined the ADC.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    haunebuhaunebu Posts: 40member
    Since when is there a "developer's version?" A boxed version is the consumer release version, and all releases of Mac OS X include Xcode.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    snipesnipe Posts: 97member
    I ordered from the Apple store by phone 2 weeks ago and just checked

the delivery status that says ''delivery on or before 4/28'' T H U R S D A Y

in Canada
  • Reply 33 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Yeah, I noticed that as well. The only reason I ordered my copy from the AppleStore was because I wanted to make sure that I got hold of it on the 29th AT THE LATEST.

There are several Apple dealers near where I work, and I'd be able to pick up a copy on the 29th anyway. My order originally stated "Before the 29th", now it says "On or before the 29th". From previous experience, it can take weeks for orders to arrive from Eire...

Do you have to order copies from the real life Apple Store if you want a copy? I'm still not sure what I'm going to do yet. Wait and see for my online order, or go to either of the UK shops for the launch.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    Well, the e-mail I received in the UK said if I pre-ordered, I'd *receive* it on the 29th.

So, if they don't actually get it to me by the 29th, I'll go to the Apple Store, buy it there, and return the one that eventually shows up.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snipe

I ordered from the Apple store by phone 2 weeks ago and just checked

the delivery status that says ''delivery on or before 4/28'' T H U R S D A Y

in Canada

Where does it say that? All I get is:

Est. Ship\t

On or before

04/28/2005
  • Reply 36 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Est. Ship\t

On or before

04/28/2005

Combine that with the method of shipping which should say 2nd-day, and you should have it on the 29th.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Do you have to order copies from the real life Apple Store if you want a copy? I'm still not sure what I'm going to do yet. Wait and see for my online order, or go to either of the UK shops for the launch.

In the past the Apple dealers have also had copies - in fact, you can usually put your name down in advance to make sure that you get a copy on the launch day. That's exactly what I did with the Public Beta, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3. Tiger is the first release of OS X that I've bought directly from the AppleStore.

And if I don't get it by the 29th, the last...
  • Reply 38 of 78
    What do you reckon "Fast Ship (EMEA)" means?
  • Reply 39 of 78
    snipesnipe Posts: 97member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Est. Ship\t

On or before

04/28/2005

yup me too. Misread the order status page
  • Reply 40 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

What do you reckon "Fast Ship (EMEA)" means?

EMEA = Europe, Middle East, Africa

It's a relatively common business term.