Early Tiger shipments were a mistake; recall on them!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
this is great. mac mall and all those vendors that shipped Tiger early are having a recall on the boxes because they mistakenly shipped them early.

link

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

this is great. mac mall and all those vendors that shipped Tiger early are having a recall on the boxes because they mistakenly shipped them early.

link

I saw that but If I would have pre-ordered, and got it I would not be sending it back.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I saw that but If I would have pre-ordered, and got it I would not be sending it back.

well the blurb on engadget mentions something about apple not supporting dvds from this first shipment. did we ever resolve the issue as to whether or not tiger was going to require any sort of official registration? if so, apple could deny these first ones. obviously if you return the box and get a new number that one would work. this is all probably just some scare tactic on apple's part. the resellers always complain about apple and look what they did. talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

well the blurb on engadget mentions something about apple not supporting dvds from this first shipment. did we ever resolve the issue as to whether or not tiger was going to require any sort of official registration? if so, apple could deny these first ones. obviously if you return the box and get a new number that one would work. this is all probably just some scare tactic on apple's part. the resellers always complain about apple and look what they did. talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I thought osx wasnt keyd - if that is true, then all you need to do is skip registration and do it on like...friday...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    OS X client is not keyed and registration is not required.

It does try to automatically connect to the internet to submit your registration info, but this can be cancelled.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Oh man!

No wonder everyone's trying to find the Bit Torrent file...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    As others have speculated... it was the retailer(s) that made the claims that those copies would "Not be supported"... but there's no proof of when you rec'd your copy as far as Apple's concerned... my guess is that they were trying to "scare" people into returning them to save their arses.

I'm sure if you tried to call for support BEFORE April 29th... you'd get no help from a CSR... but Apple has NO WAY of knowing how, when or where you got your install disc.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Oh man what a mess. For heaven's sake just let it go Apple.

Is Apple trying to piss off its loyal customers?

-AquaMac-
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Oh man what a mess. For heaven's sake just let it go Apple.

Is Apple trying to piss off its loyal customers?

-AquaMac-

Apple is not trying to "screw the loyals", the APPLE AUTHORISED RESELLER = NOT Apple f&&&ed up, so now they are trying a cheeseball, low-down dirty and possibly illegal scare tactic as a last ditch CYA so as not to piss Apple off so badly that they loose their authorised reseller status?

Isn't this whole thing of "We screwed up so you get No Support!" illegal anyway,it is intimedation: like "Send it back or else - bucko" All that is missing here is Paully Wallnutz going door-to-door to collect or bust balls.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    they delivered the product before it was released, and they have the audacity to try and recall a perfectly normal product...and quite frankly, i think the whole "no tiger support" is the biggest bs of all time...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Yep... this is not an "Apple" thing... this is the 3rd-party vendor s#1tting themselves because they know they fu¢%ed-up royally. Apple is not the one making claims of "Get them back immediately or we'll never support them!" - It's the dumb-ass vendor sales manager's decision to use a cheesy scare tactic to trick purchasers into sending-back their copies... but for what...? It would serve no purpose at this point...

They just followed-up a dumb move with a slightly dumber move... that's all.

Apple has nothing to do with it.

• Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott Finlayson

Yep... this is not an "Apple" thing... this is the 3rd-party vendor s#1tting themselves because they know they fu¢%ed-up royally. Apple is not the one making claims of "Get them back immediately or we'll never support them!" - It's the dumb-ass vendor sales manager's decision to use a cheesy scare tactic to trick purchasers into sending-back their copies... but for what...? It would serve no purpose at this point...

They just followed-up a dumb move with a slightly dumber move... that's all.

Apple has nothing to do with it.

yup, like I said the enly thing missing ere is the muscle for the middleman, when will we see paully walnutz going door to door