in macOS edited January 2014
should one do a clean install?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

should one do a clean install?

It's not nessessary but if it helps you sleep at night then yes. It can be a big hassle to reload all your software and documents if u clean install (which is what you will have to do seeing as it will erase your hard drive, so you will have to back it up). If I were you, I would NOT clean install, simply beacuse you dont need it. I would maybe repair disk permissions before you install (do you know how to do this?).

Repairing disk permissions is in the Disk Utilities in the Application Folder>>>Utilities folder...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    Posted in another thread but no one replied

I'm not new to the Mac, but this is my first OS upgrade. I went from an OS9 iMac G3 to an iMac G5 (now my parents) and a new 15" PB. I want to do a clean install but I am unsure on how to go about doing this. I backed-up all my important files on my parents iMac using FW target disc mode. When I get tiger, do I just boot from the CD, access disc utility, erase the volume Macintosh HD, then exit disc utility and install Tiger?

Any help from some veterans would be great.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Make sure you have EVERYTHING you want to keep backed-up ...

Then insert the Tiger install CD, Somewhere along the line it will give you a choice for "Clean Install" ... just select it continue. It will take care of erasing/reformatting on it's own.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I much prefer Clean Install. That way, you're getting rid of all the extra Libraries, preferences and other files that apps have loaded into your system that are unnecessary now.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

I much prefer Clean Install. That way, you're getting rid of all the extra Libraries, preferences and other files that apps have loaded into your system that are unnecessary now.

same here, it's good to flush out the system every so often.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    So basically if I archive and install, I will have an easier set up time but with the risk of conflicts and a bogged down system. If I do a clean install, I will have to re-do all my settings, users, etc., but the system will be snappier and probably reasonably flawless (apart from Tiger's own bugs).
  • Reply 7 of 12
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

So basically if I archive and install, I will have an easier set up time but with the risk of conflicts and a bogged down system. If I do a clean install, I will have to re-do all my settings, users, etc., but the system will be snappier and probably reasonably flawless (apart from Tiger's own bugs).

You should just backup documents that you want to keep, and Applications that you don't have access to again or can't easily. Put those on some form of media, for example, an external hard drive, a CD or DVD, another computer, iDisk, etc. Once you have ALL of the files backed up on a source that is other than the computers hard drive, pop-in the tiger disk, go through the steps, and when you have the option to select the type of installation, select clean install. This will format your hard drive ridding it of everything, and then install tiger.

When you do this, you are starting with a 100% fresh system, as if you had just gotten a new computer from Apple right out of the box. Now, all you have to do is copy back your backed up documents back onto the computer, reset the preferences as you like them, and install your applications back onto your hard drive. Any applications that you backup and copy back will have any bugs that developed on an your earlier system, so this is why I do not recomend copying these Applications unless you have to, and rather, just reinstalling from the orginal software CD.

When you do a clean install, there will be no bugs from before...only bugs that are within Tiger, which if nessesary, can be fixed with Apples free updates (10.4.1, etc)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Tiger has a feature called Migration Assistant, made especially for transferring your data and settings from an old OS X to a new install of OS X on a different disk or partition.

So for anyone that already has a spare partition for the new Tiger clean install, you are all set; if not, if you have an external drive or large capacity iPod you can use it to hold the Panther system while you clean-install Tiger on the main HD, then use the Assistant to migrate the Panther files over.

This method is 10x easier than figuring out by hand which files to copy over, and still you have a 100% clean Tiger install.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I have had my Mini for about a month, I have it set exactly how I want it, so I am thinking of just repairing permissions and upgradeing, as a long time windows guy, this gives me a bad feeling, but I understand that upgrades go much smoother under osx - is this so?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I have had my Mini for about a month, I have it set exactly how I want it, so I am thinking of just repairing permissions and upgradeing, as a long time windows guy, this gives me a bad feeling, but I understand that upgrades go much smoother under osx - is this so?

I did an archive and upgrade install (from Jag to Panther) and it worked beautifully.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    i just reinstalled Jag a few weeks ago, do you think i should still do a clean install?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    wow everybody. this topic has been discussed several times.