A glimmer of hope.....

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
iBooks, Powerbooks, iMacs, Powermacs, and Minis all have 1 - 3+ day shipping times according to the apple site. Whatcha doin, Steve?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Doesn't make sense that they would update all at once. Too many products. My guess is that if it is anything other than strong demand, that it's they're trying to get them loaded with Tiger, rather than last year's big cat.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Or they could also pack 512 MB RAM standard in all models for Tiger's Hunger...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    the only interesting thing, i think, is the 5-7 days on both imacs and powermacs

which will be updated tomorrow.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    and the glimer turns into a beam, or perhaps ray...

so no one is expecting anything today?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mikenapmikenap Posts: 94member
    if the new machines ship tomorow, my last rays of hope will be squashed. there's no way we will see a fat upgrade like we are all hopeing for with just an apple store update and a press release. All of my think secret report fears will probably come true with 200 mhz upgrades to the high end. =(
  • Reply 6 of 15
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. J

iBooks, Powerbooks, iMacs, Powermacs, and Minis all have 1 - 3+ day shipping times according to the apple site. Whatcha doin, Steve?

Someone in Ohio won the mega million lotto...some thing like 205 million

Maybe the person who won made a Mac lab (real big order all at once)

No way is the mini going to have an update so soon

PowerMac = likey 8)

iBook = very likey

iMac = they better

notice the eMac ship dates are the same ?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    timmybtimmyb Posts: 12member
    I think that we will see iBook updates this week to have them pre-loaded with Tiger and perhaps 512MB RAM and BT2.0. If this does happen, would you then expect the next major iBook update to be in the autumn?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

Someone in Ohio won the mega million lotto...some thing like 205 million

Maybe the person who won made a Mac lab (real big order all at once)

No way is the mini going to have an update so soon

PowerMac = likey 8)

iBook = very likey

iMac = they better

notice the eMac ship dates are the same ?

its funny because the first thing i would do if i won 205 million in the lotto would be buy a freaking awesome powermac setup... maybe a vespa too, but im only 15...oh well...
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by M.O.S.T

iBook = very likey

The iBook was updated seven months ago.

I'd say it's possible it might get updated tomorrow, but I'm not sure about it being "very likely".

I'd say PowerMac, eMac, and iMac stand the best chance.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    The eMac has a 7-10 day wait if you add something to it (like upgrade to 512MB), just like the iMac.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    I think it's important to remember this: if Apple can put a 1.67 Ghz G4 in a 15" powerbook, they can put a 1.67 Ghz G4 in the mini and the emac without any engineering/heat issues.

So...the only thing holding back the appearance of 1.67 Ghz G4's in either machine is yield from Freescale. My bet? Freescale yields are improving and we'll see a 1.67 Ghz in both machines soon. I'm hoping to see bumps tommorow, but expect them no later than the end of May.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwdawso

The eMac has a 7-10 day wait if you add something to it (like upgrade to 512MB), just like the iMac.

eMac now has 5-7 day delivery on base configurations! But PowerMac is now 1-3 days, which hopefully means tomorrow is the day!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikenap

if the new machines ship tomorow, my last rays of hope will be squashed. there's no way we will see a fat upgrade like we are all hopeing for with just an apple store update and a press release. All of my think secret report fears will probably come true with 200 mhz upgrades to the high end. =(

I agree, right now our best hope is to wait for WWDC and have Steve announcing it. Steve is not going to stage to announce just a 200mhz speed bump. A normal Tuesday upgrade could be a small one like TS predicted.

So, I guess if we are patience something good will happen.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ravenpen

The iBook was updated seven months ago.

I'd say it's possible it might get updated tomorrow, but I'm not sure about it being "very likely".

I'd say PowerMac, eMac, and iMac stand the best chance.

While I wouldn't place bets on the odds of the iBook receiving an update tomorrow, I have to agree with the original poster that the iBook update is coming very soon. I mentioned in a previous thread a few weeks back that the campus computer store at my university had steeply discounted iBooks, I suspect that Apple was looking to clean out the channel. Also, the iBook has historically tended to receive updates (or brand new models) twice per year.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    zappyzappy Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chagi

While I wouldn't place bets on the odds of the iBook receiving an update tomorrow, I have to agree with the original poster that the iBook update is coming very soon. I mentioned in a previous thread a few weeks back that the campus computer store at my university had steeply discounted iBooks, I suspect that Apple was looking to clean out the channel. Also, the iBook has historically tended to receive updates (or brand new models) twice per year.

I believe that this time it will be different. The iBooks are too close to the PowerBooks in terms of performance. Furthermore the current rumour regarding new display sizes might be an indication that there will be a big update later this year.