Mail Widget

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi, is there a widget for mail at the moment. If not is anyone willing to make one, I'll design it if someone can write the html/css for me! Just wondering, i was helping someone else with the graphics for their widget and it was good fun.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Hi, is there a widget for mail at the moment. If not is anyone willing to make one, I'll design it if someone can write the html/css for me! Just wondering, i was helping someone else with the graphics for their widget and it was good fun.

I don't know about ones on Apples website...beacuse thats all hush hush till the 29th, but I found this third party one for Apples Mail Program...they also said something about it working for Thunderbird...but I just skimmed:

http://freesoftware.lookandfeel.com/New_Mail/
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

What kind of thing are you looking for it to do? Displaying how many new emails seems a bit primative to me, especially as the mail icon in the dock kind of does this (only with the inbox folder on Panther, not sure with Tiger). Maybe a small display to actually *show* new emails in any mailbox? That would be cool, leaving browsing older emails for Mail.app, but quick access to emails that have just come in?

I can do css and html coding, however I only know basic JavaScript, and have an even more lower understanding of how you'd go about integrating a widget to a full blown app.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    It's not a widget, but a Mail "plugin" called Mail.appetizer can display all new messages in a semitransparent floating window. It's pretty nice.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I want it to show your new emails - i have rules so they automatically move to the correct folder, so it would be cool if it said how many and you could browse through them.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

I want it to show your new emails - i have rules so they automatically move to the correct folder, so it would be cool if it said how many and you could browse through them.

That's what I was thinking. A list of email headers, and clicking on one makes it bigger containing the whole email. The header should also include which folder it's located in.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

That's what I was thinking. A list of email headers, and clicking on one makes it bigger containing the whole email. The header should also include which folder it's located in.

So basically a mini mail app, but it needs to get its info from mail and not get the emails itself. Umm, anyone got the knowledge to do this or do you reckon Apple will include cool widgets like this with .Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

So basically a mini mail app, but it needs to get its info from mail and not get the emails itself. Umm, anyone got the knowledge to do this or do you reckon Apple will include cool widgets like this with .Mac.

The developer documentation for Dashboard seems to say that this type of app isn't advised for Dashboard, and there are no such widgets in Tiger. There are three reasons for this:

1. This app would be more suited to a "regular" app, as it does several things.

2. Allowing for the actual mail messages to be read takes up too much screen space for a widget.

3. Checking mail is for most users not one of those "Oh I wonder if I have mail" things - it is already signaled in the badge on the Mail.app Dock icon. So it's not like "I wonder what the weather is" or "I wonder what AAPL is doing today" or "I wonder what 15.7% of $350 is".

Having said that, there's absolutely nothing preventing someone from throwing together a Mail widget. A couple of us over at DSLR are working on a widget right now (not for mail) and it's really only JavaScript and HTML/CSS. You can call Cocoa methods or BSD commands if you want, even AppleScript. Mail.app's API is hard to learn but not impossible.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I too must rain on the parade:

A mail widget woudln't provide any functionality or efficiency over Mail.App. It would also break the fuzzy but clear distinction about what can be found on the desktop and what can be found in the floating widget layer.

But... i suppose it might qualify as "neat looking".
  • Reply 9 of 14
    but sometimes the mail icon doesn't show anything if the email goes into another mailbox using rules.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

but sometimes the mail icon doesn't show anything if the email goes into another mailbox using rules.

Good point! But in your rules you can run an AppleScript. So you can move the message to the destination and then execute the script to do whatever you want.

I don't understand why New Mail doesn't show if the mail is routed with a rule. That seems to be not what most people would want, but I don't see a way to change it.

It's moot in Tiger anyway, as you have Smart Mailboxes.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Good point! But in your rules you can run an AppleScript. So you can move the message to the destination and then execute the script to do whatever you want.

I don't understand why New Mail doesn't show if the mail is routed with a rule. That seems to be not what most people would want, but I don't see a way to change it.

It's moot in Tiger anyway, as you have Smart Mailboxes.

if the mail beeps new mail you press F12 and you can see who it's from and then decide to read it or not. Also, it would look cool!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    It seems that it would be better to fix mail than to encourage developers into tainting the widget layer. That would set a horrible precedent.

Everything described so far would be best implemented directly into Mail.App. Using multiple, redundant windows with overlapping functionality to accomplish a single task is digging yourself into a hole.

If Mail.App isn?t sufficient for checking email, the solution is to fix it!

</wet-blanket>

But yeah, widgets are neat.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    well this is my idea in development:

it's a spotlight/mail merger!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I really would like a simple mail widget that would tell me when I have it. Well, I guess that wouldn't exactly work since widgets are only visible when you activate it... You see, I don't use a dock and used to use Konfabulator with a wonderful widget called "unobtrusive mail check". I had it set to desktop level, and it was a simple "badge" that would appear when I had mail, just like the one on the mail icon you see in the dock, but on the desktop and would ONLY appear when mail was received. Perhaps there would be a way to hack Dashboard to let you do something desktop level? I use Mail Status Control in the menu bar to tell me when I have received mail, but I definitely preferred the other that I mentioned before.