For Tigers and other Cats... H.264 Clips - Trailers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all,

Here's a h.264-freeware-encoded clip for you to try with Quicktime 7.

Note, this is about 500x300 or so pixels, not high-definition, so G4 peoples can check it out too and see how Tiger/Panther handles H.264. Also, this is only one-pass encoding so bit-rates are not truly optimised.

These are trailers, so remember that Pro-level encoding software/hardware can handle fast-motion and all that jazz much better than freeware h.264 encoding. But for standard-def, streaming, and once somebody posts some h.264 high-def content around, i think we'll start to see the potential of avc/h.264 really start to emerge. Do enjoy... Wooooo yeahhhhh!

(If you try and play the clips full screen, you may not see the big deal, but play it at 1x zoom and you notice the detail holds up quite well compared to divx, xvid, sorenson)

(Moderators, these are just trailers hosted on my personal website, so i hope that's kosher enough for now...)

edit:

this clip plays fine in VLC and Mplayer on Panther, perhaps Tiger, but reports indicate no playey on Quicktime 7:

Matrix Reloaded trailer: (8mb h.264 encoded from ffmpegx, 1pass, no B-frames)

http://www.phatcraft.com/matrix_relo...small_h264.avi

(right-click and save-as/download)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    these aren't opening for me in Quicktime 7, and they cause both VLC and Mplayer to crash. just me?
  • Reply 2 of 32
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Maybe I have been under a rock lately... and my copy of Tiger has not yet shipped... but, does Tiger include Quicktime 7? How can anyone test those clips under QT7 if it hasn't been released yet AFAIK?
  • Reply 3 of 32
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bill M

Maybe I have been under a rock lately... and my copy of Tiger has not yet shipped... but, does Tiger include Quicktime 7? How can anyone test those clips under QT7 if it hasn't been released yet AFAIK?

1)

Tiger includes Quicktime 7.

2) There are people (like me, I´m such a whore) who already have Tiger, and have tried almost every beta of it so far.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Crashed Quicktime 7, VLC, and MPlayer for me.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    You may wanna download the latest pre release version of VLC, they have H264 support.

http://xserve.via.ecp.fr/~videolan/macosx/?M=D
  • Reply 6 of 32
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Crashed all of my players too...

VLC was at least able to play the first third of one of the clips.

(Running newest version of everything under 10.4)

EDIT:

Switching from digital to analog output on my m-audio card made it so that VLC could play these clips. YMMV
  • Reply 7 of 32
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Yea, there is something up with those files.

I've been using H.264 for 1/2 a year now and these videos don't work well. I've had some problems with B-Frames in the past and if I had to guess, I'd say that is what the problem is here.

I'm a little discouraged at this incompatibility (if that is what is happening) with VLC/MPlayer and hope it resolved soon.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Sorry if we came off harsh sunilraman, we don't mean to antagonize... thanks for providing samples.

These compatibility problems are an interesting lesson on the maturity of h264 technology. I've had similar issues with h264 files that I author. Hopefully the encoding and playback tools will improve rapidly so that these problems disappear.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

1)

Tiger includes Quicktime 7.

2) There are people (like me, I´m such a whore) who already have Tiger, and have tried almost every beta of it so far.

Thanks for the quick reply and info. I can't wait 'til I get my hands on 10.4 and QT7 this weekend!

8)
  • Reply 10 of 32
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    no worries folks, just wanted to throw some stuff out there and see what happens...

it was encoded via ffmpegx, mencoder h.264...

on my 10.3.9, most of the time mplayer makes it all the way through, but vlc crashes.

i'm surprise quicktime 7 can't play it though.

well, i'm proud we're all such early adopters/ beta testers on what is going to be great stuff once they figure out (i mean implement) the avc/h.264 standards, well, to standards...

he he he i'm glad you 'whores' with Tiger admitted you have it... ah well the developer builds have been out for several months now

cheers
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Aha! You did use FFMPEGX. I thought you used some Quicktime export settings.

Just turn off B-Frames and 2-pass encoding and all should be fine. 8)
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

oh... bloody B-Frames...!!

thanks for the tip
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:

For those that are game, here's a Matrix Reloaded trailer, 8mb, h.264 re-encoded, without B-frames or 2-pass encoding...

(right click and save as/ download...)

In Panther, VLC seems to handle it fine now

Reports from anyone with Quicktime7 ?? No B-frames encoded in ffmpegX now Quicktime7 likey likey??
  • Reply 14 of 32
    MPlayer works too. 8)
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

MPlayer works too. 8)

yay! ... Quicktime7 ? anyone? i guess it's late night/early morning in US/europe now...

ps

i'm off now to buy an iSight.......
  • Reply 16 of 32
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    Quote:

Originally posted by deestar

You may wanna download the latest pre release version of VLC, they have H264 support.

http://xserve.via.ecp.fr/~videolan/macosx/?M=D

didnt even know that the nighly's existed! great!
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by revs

didnt even know that the nighly's existed! great!

yeah sweet...! except i don't like the green bar 0.8.2 latest build puts around your full screen movie if it is 2.35:1 or 16:9... can't figure out a way to turn it off in Prefs... so i went back to 0.8.1

i hope videolan.org and them kids stay in the game despite all this patent bullsh1t in old europe
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

For those that are game, here's a Matrix Reloaded trailer, 8mb, h.264 re-encoded, without B-frames or 2-pass encoding...

(right click and save as/ download...)

In Panther, VLC seems to handle it fine now

Reports from anyone with Quicktime7 ?? No B-frames encoded in ffmpegX now Quicktime7 likey likey??

This file worked on my Mac mini with Panther and VLC 0.8.1, but crashed my iBook G4 with Tiger and the same version of VLC. Upgrading to the latest release of VLC (from deestar's link above) on the iBook did the trick.

QT 7 still gives me an error, though.

• Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

yeah sweet...! except i don't like the green bar 0.8.2 latest build puts around your full screen movie if it is 2.35:1 or 16:9... can't figure out a way to turn it off in Prefs... so i went back to 0.8.1

yeah, the green boarder's annoying.. although i have to say i kinda like it with the Matrix trailers.. just about perfectly matches the Matrix green.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by confirmed

yeah, the green boarder's annoying.. although i have to say i kinda like it with the Matrix trailers.. just about perfectly matches the Matrix green.

i know that was like a glitch in the matrix / deja vu kinda thing -- like, wtf how come it's green and matches the matrix trailers??

then i realise it's defaulted to green then the deja vu feeling passed...