The Future of the Macintosh Operating System

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So Tiger is just days away and this has got me thinking. System 7.5 was the biggest upgrade to System 7 and MacOS 8.5 was the biggest upgrade to MacOS 8. iTunes was also upgraded in this fashion. There are other examples as well. Will this pattern be continued with MacOS X 10.5? I know that this also was usually a jump in numbering scheme (ex. There was no System 7.4 or MacOS 8.4). Will there even be an MacOS X 10.5? Will this be the big leap to MacOS XI 11.0? What major changes in the Operating System will warrant a jump to MacOS XI 11.0? Is there some sort of semi-large jump in Operating System technology that would come somewhere in-between 10 and 11?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    No there will be no jumps. You'll see a

before you see XI. Tiger is the culmination of Apple's OS paradigm in a way. Sure we'll see new features there's always room for improvement but they will not come at the torrid pace that we've grown accustomed to in the last half decade.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    previously, apple OS upgrades were not as hyped, not as major. Apple has made it clear that .x to .y is big, and you'd better buy it. They don't have to jump .5 to make people buy it.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    The Future of the Macintosh Operating System= The Future of the Windows Operating System - 2 years - insecurities + innovation
  • Reply 4 of 16
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

The Future of the Macintosh Operating System= The Future of the Windows Operating System - 2 years - insecurities + innovation

Shouldn't it be - innovation? or are you saying that microsoft is innovative?

I sure hope not.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ben Huebscher

So Tiger is just days away and this has got me thinking. System 7.5 was the biggest upgrade to System 7 and MacOS 8.5 was the biggest upgrade to MacOS 8. iTunes was also upgraded in this fashion. There are other examples as well. Will this pattern be continued with MacOS X 10.5? I know that this also was usually a jump in numbering scheme (ex. There was no System 7.4 or MacOS 8.4). Will there even be an MacOS X 10.5? Will this be the big leap to MacOS XI 11.0? What major changes in the Operating System will warrant a jump to MacOS XI 11.0? Is there some sort of semi-large jump in Operating System technology that would come somewhere in-between 10 and 11?

Not true. The last version of System 7 was MacOS 7.6.1. The last version of MacOS 8 was MacOS 8.6.1. That said, this is a topic that has been talked to death. Now get this: There is no standard for OS version numbering--none. We all have our opinions about how long Apple will retain MacOS X 10.x and the name of the OS that replaces it, that's all they are--opinions. If anybody can give you the name of the OS that replaces MacOS X, he would be better advised to quit his job, sell his house, buy a ticket to Vegas, and spend a lot of time at the craps table. He has a talent to make a lot of money.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ben Huebscher

this morning, i woke up with a slight tequila hangover (don't ask)... but i stumbled to my iBook 933mhz G4 256mb RAM, os 10.3.9. turned it on. it booted in about 30sec, 10sec later airport extreme connected and i was on the net. in the next hour, i checked my mail, surfed some websites, ran ffmpegx, terminal, encoded some matrix trailers using h.264, viewed some stuff in vlc, opened illustrator, made some adjustments to something for my parents' clinic, printed out the forms on the canon pixma 1500. saved illustrator, went back to browsing, commenting on forums, finished re-encoding matrix clip without b-frames....

bottom line: whatever apple is doing, keep it up. it's bloody working, and this is by far the best computing experience i have had in my 10+ years of fiddling with computers and multimedia stuff

all only on 256mb ram... i just take a few breaths if it beachballs for several seconds... on some programs, if i don't like how long it's hogging the hard disk (eg Azureus when prepping a 2+GB download), i just force-quit the bastard and get back to work. mac os X just works. with panther, it is quite well refined. 10.4.2 will be a smooth entry point for non-early adopters.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

Shouldn't it be - innovation? or are you saying that microsoft is innovative?

I sure hope not.

no i had it right.

here let's use some basic rules of math to rearrange my original equation:

(Microsoft's future operating system) + insecurities - innovation = (The Future of the Macintosh Operating System) + (2 years of time)

or (if apple=20 and M$=10)

20=10-2-4+16

make more sense?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

before you see XI. Tiger is the culmination of Apple's OS paradigm in a way.

Didn't we say the same thing about Panther?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

Yes, and will say it about the next cat as well. Two years is a long time to hold something in memory.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Yes, and will say it about the next cat as well. Two years is a long time to hold something in memory.

i can't even remember what i had for lunch yesterday \
  • Reply 11 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

i can't even remember what i had for lunch yesterday \

OH YEA! lunch...I knew I forgot to do something yestarday...
  • Reply 12 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

Only if we had no idea what we were talking about. Apple explains it well on developer.apple.com.

With each successive OS they attempted to fulfill the tools and requirements of their MVC (Model,View, Controller)programming methodolgy.

Dev tools with Interface Builder. Quartz yadda yadda yadda and more focused on the interface. (View)

While consumer were hyped on Expose in Panther developers were hyped on Cocoa Bindings(Controllers)

Now with Tiger we note that Apple has worked extensively on new API and how to Model your objects and stores(Core Data) thus the do in fact complete the trifecta with Tiger.

I expect to see polishing of these features in future OS but I don't expect to see many new paradigms unleased. While many Mac users have complained about the "yearly" updates I'm amazed that people don't realize that it's not often that you get to take part in such a rapid development cycle for an OS.

We may never see another transition like this in our lives{/grandiose statement>
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Actually i've seen an early alpha of the next major release. It uses a new technology called focus follows focus. All new computers (old computers will use a calibrated iSight) will have a high rez camera built in, and will be able to tell where you are looking at. The system focus will follow where your eyes are focused. Truly amazing technology.

iChat audio/video will build transcripts of the conversation on the fly, all searchable in spotlight, and you will have the option to catalogue the audio/video files as well, which will be tied to the transcript. Of course this will extend into a powerful dictation service that any app written in cocoa will get basically for free. Also you will be easy able to share your screen with anyone in the conference, or just selected windows. (easy to use, highly integrated net meeting built into iChat) The number of simultaneous video/audio connections will no longer be limited. It will just depend on your connection speed (wont tax the cpu, as live video encode/decode will be handled by dedicated cell processor on board)

Dashboard will evolve into an awesome services workspace, where there will be an AI tracking all your actions and automatically delving into finding info and solutions to your problems. You input a iCal event, such as dinner with Sally @ the XYZ, and will automatically get a dashboard workspace associated with this event. It will already contain map, directions to XYZ, Sally's contact info with a call button, weather in that area at the time of the dinner, attractions happening in that area immediately before and after the event, and much more. You will just have to ask your mac to bring you to the XYZ event workspace and it will zoom in just like dashboard.

iPhoto will develop facial recognition capabilities, so you only have to input a persons name once in address book with their picture and from then on iPhoto will recognize that person and automatically input them into the files metadata for spotlight searching.

And finally spotlight will no longer be limited to text. you will be able to just speak to it to get the search you want. If you want to find all the pictures that contain someone who you don't have in your address book, you just copy a clipping of the persons face and paste it into spotlight. It will automatically do facial recognition, identify what other pictures you have of that person, and what files are associated with those pictures/that person.

And then i woke up.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Future? these computers have no future...no one needs more than 640k memory for anything!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Imergingenious

....... You input a iCal event, such as dinner with Sally @ the XYZ, and will automatically get a dashboard workspace associated with this event. It will already contain map, directions to XYZ, Sally's contact info with a call button, weather in that area at the time of the dinner, attractions happening in that area immediately before and after the event, and much more......

(warning: crass joke ahead)

will it automatically monitor how the date with Sally is going so that if after dinner i invite her back to my place it will remind me to discreetly stop by a seven-eleven if i don't have any condoms back at the ol' bachelor pad ?? hmm??
  • Reply 16 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

(warning: crass joke ahead)

will it automatically monitor how the date with Sally is going so that if after dinner i invite her back to my place it will remind me to discreetly stop by a seven-eleven if i don't have any condoms back at the ol' bachelor pad ?? hmm??

...and batteries for the iBrator.