Updated Apple Power Mac G5 systems en route to company stores

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has reportedly begun shipping new Pro desktops to some of its retail stores.

According to sources, new Apple Power Macs have already begun shipping to select Apple retail stores in the United States.

The models spotted were dual 2GHz, 2.3GHz, and 2.7GHz. All three versions reportedly sport new dual-layer DVD burners. The dual 2GHz configuration reportedly includes 512 ram, a 160 hard disk, and a 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card.

Apple is expected to make CPU-related announcements as early as Tuesday (though one source says the new Power Macs may debut on a Wednesday).

Reports also suggest the company may be in the process of updating the majority of its CPU offerings to include Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger as the default operating system.

While iMacs and eMacs are now reflecting ship times of 5-7 business days, the remainder of Apple's CPU product lines are also showing extended times today (of 1-3 business days).

Apple last introduced new CPU hardware on January 31st when it announced faster Power Book G4 laptops.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 185
    dave jdave j Posts: 84member
    Uh... what exactly is PRO about that?
  • Reply 2 of 185
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    But are they dual core?

e/iMacs next week
  • Reply 3 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave J

Uh... what exactly is PRO about that?

Maybe they are dual chip 970MP systems at that clock range.?.?.?

• Reply 4 of 185
    see now im confused...what if these are dual cores????
  • Reply 5 of 185
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    what if you guys are insane and need a reality check?
  • Reply 6 of 185
    200mhz!! For another year!

Sometimes I hate Apple :~
  • Reply 7 of 185
    Meanwhile Powermac shipping times have reverted back to 1-3 days.. maybe this is wrong too
  • Reply 8 of 185
    i dunno, but my seventh sense (after seeing dead people) is that these reports are false, or apple is being misleading on purpose...i say dual dual cores...or atleast dual cores...something smells funky...
  • Reply 9 of 185
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webavatar

200mhz!! For another year!

Sometimes I hate Apple :~

Who said it was for another year? This could easily be a short-term update to keep units moving until the fall.
  • Reply 10 of 185
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I don't care if they are dual-core as much as I care that these machines have PCI-Express.

Let's be honest the advantage of DC Powermacs isn't going make a huge difference until you're running Quad Cores. Anyone with a DP Powermac already knows what they're getting.

No one has mentioned the PCI type of these computers so I can hold out hope that we get new motherboards.

I think a DP 2.7Ghz system is fine if its sitting on new mobo hardware. Expecting 3GHz is a bit silly. AMD is still only at 2.8GHz max and Apple is going to remain conservative and not "stretch" for that extra 100Hz.
  • Reply 11 of 185
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I dont think anything is going to be announce pre-tiger. Apple wants to have their party and eat their cake about tiger. They won't release a pro machine without it being the main item on the Apple page, and the won't let Tiger slip off the #1 spot on the Apple Homepage.
  • Reply 12 of 185
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

I dont think anything is going to be announce pre-tiger. Apple wants to have their party and eat their cake about tiger. They won't release a pro machine without it being the main item on the Apple page, and the won't let Tiger slip off the #1 spot on the Apple Homepage.

This is wrong.
  • Reply 13 of 185
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

That's right - updated powermacs are either going to be good news, or bad news, and either one will spoil the Tiger launch.
  • Reply 14 of 185
    Quote:

I dont think anything is going to be announce pre-tiger. Apple wants to have their party and eat their cake about tiger.

I'm not so sure. Apple announced the first G4 iBooks two days before shipping Panther, and that was arguably a more significant upgrade than the Power Mac rumors would lead us to expect. I think they've been sitting on some updates until they could ship with Tiger.
  • Reply 15 of 185
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    i bet this report is 100% true

i also bet we have ass-tastic graphic cards in these pups (this obviously has meaning beyond the common colloquialism) yet again
  • Reply 16 of 185
    With all the buildup, these new PM systems may be nothing much from Apple's perspective--I believe that Apple has done silent (no publicity), minor CPU speed increases in the past. This rev could be for no reason other than a planned iMac G5 CPU boost, and the Pro line HAS to have faster MHz. There probably is a major rev due to be announced this summer (keeping to a 1 year schedule), but if the iMacs are due a rev sooner, it might have been felt that a minor rev was in order (with Tiger preinstalled) to keep pace with the iMacs. Apple may have wanted the "major" rev earlier, but if iMacs are coming out earlier and the major rev isn't ready, then they might have had to go with a minor, fairly silent rev.

So while this COULD be the major rev, it could also be simply a good time to do a minor CPU rev (to keep pace with the iMac line), and pre-install Tiger.
  • Reply 17 of 185
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I'd like to wake up Tuesday morning and find no mention of new PMs on Apple's site. Why bother? Wow, we've tacked on an extra 200 MHz in the year since the last PM update! That's like getting last year's PM plus a low end 1997 200 MHz Power Mac 8600 FREE!! Such a DEAL!

Yeah! Imagine being able to get a 2004 G5 PLUS a 200 MHz PowerPC 604e coprocessor!! Wow, can you beat that?

Well, if these things are dual dual-coreÑnever mind.
  • Reply 18 of 185
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

I'd like to wake up Tuesday morning and find no mention of new PMs on Apple's site. Why bother? Wow, we've tacked on an extra 200 MHz in the year since the last PM update! That's like getting last year's PM plus a low end 1997 200 MHz Power Mac 8600 FREE!! Such a DEAL!

Yeah! Imagine being able to get a 2004 G5 PLUS a 200 MHz PowerPC 604e coprocessor!! Wow, can you beat that?

Well, if these things are dual dual-coreÑnever mind.

well you can be damn sure that every G5 is faster than your little 1Ghz G4, so you obviously aren't too concerned about clock speed.
  • Reply 19 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

I'm not so sure. Apple announced the first G4 iBooks two days before shipping Panther, and that was arguably a more significant upgrade than the Power Mac rumors would lead us to expect. I think they've been sitting on some updates until they could ship with Tiger.

I'm with you on this.

Apple should announce tomorrow, with bulk shipments commencing sometime around the 10th May: this would tie in nicely with the availability of Final Cut Studio which I would expect around 17th May.

That would pretty much give Apple control of the IT news cycle for much of the next month, which should look something like: -
    • Announcement of new hardware tomorrow.

• iTunes Music Store 2nd Anniversary on Thursday with iTunes 4.8 and iTMS for Australia, the remainder of Northern Europe and (possibly) Japan.

• Tiger on Friday, plus opening of major new store in Birmingham, UK.

• Shipping new machines in the middle of May.

• Shipping the first integrated high definition production suite in the second half of May.

• WWDC - June 6-10

• iTMS Japan definitely by end of June

• Reply 20 of 185
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

well you can be damn sure that every G5 is faster than your little 1Ghz G4, so you obviously aren't too concerned about clock speed.

Well, see, here's the deal. A guy like me with an old G4 PM is more likely to buy a new PM than a dood like you who already has last year's 2.5. Except I'd rather get something that uses some technology that's a bit newer than 2 years old. If I'm going to plunk down a few grand, I'd rather get something like a 970MP. I'd also like to get a system that doesn't have water cooling because you're lucky if it lasts two years. Good luck with that.