Updated Apple Power Mac G5 systems en route to company stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 185
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

I'd also like to get a system that doesn't have water cooling because you're lucky if it lasts two years. Good luck with that.

I have nothing good to add but that was freekn' halarious!
  • Reply 22 of 185
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    there is no dual core

the whole thing is a hoax/fantasy

please start accepting this

y'all be luck if they are 2-3 years out from now

we will hit 3ghz a bit before Macworld... and have radeon 9600's through til the end of this decade (at the earliest)
  • Reply 23 of 185
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

No one has mentioned the PCI type of these computers so I can hold out hope that we get new motherboards.

Maybe not... If this rumor turns out to be true, then they're still AGP motherboards, because the Radeon 9600 doesn't come in a PCIe configuration. (I think...)

That might not be too bad, though. If I were in Apple's shoes, and looking at the introduction of the 970MP & GX in the next 6-9 months, I don't think I'd want to put a whole lot of effort into redesigning motherboards that support the 970FX, either (provided we're just getting updated FX's). Wait for the new chips before going whole hog with PCIe, built in hardware RAID support, SLI, and what the hell... throw in SATAN bus just for good measure. One free exorcism with every machine purchase!

On the other hand, if we do see a new motherboard with all the goodies & it still has the 970FX, I think that'd be more depressing-- because I think that will mean that we'll still be limping along with 200MHz/year improvements for a while. I just can't see Apple putting the effort into radically changing the motherboards for the 970FX if they're only going to support the chip for one last revision.
  • Reply 24 of 185
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    As someone who was going to buy a new Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac last week but am now waiting for this bump I'll be happy when I purchase a dual 2GHz Mac at the same price that the dual 1.8GHz would have cost me, saving $500.
  • Reply 25 of 185
    Any info/speculation on price points for these updates?

b.
  • Reply 26 of 185
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    If this really is the best we can expect from Apple at this point, I think it would be wise of them to drop the price by $100-$200 across the board... Maybe you'll be able to pick up that dual 2GHz for LESS than you were going to spend on the dual 1.8.
  • Reply 27 of 185
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

No one has mentioned the PCI type of these computers so I can hold out hope that we get new motherboards.

That's because the rumor is ridiculous - how on earth can someone "spot" the CPU speeds, and not see the PCI type (not to mention the processor type), when it's written basically in the very same area on the box.

If someone has information based on "seeing" shipments, then the entire list of specs would have been reported.
  • Reply 28 of 185
    dave jdave j Posts: 84member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

That's because the rumor is ridiculous - how on earth can someone "spot" the CPU speeds, and not see the PCI type (not to mention the processor type), when it's written basically in the very same area on the box.

Furthermore, why call this very pedestrian machine "Pro"? Why not, simply, PowerMac? 160 HD, DL, 9600 does NOT a Pro make.
  • Reply 29 of 185
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Well, see, here's the deal. A guy like me with an old G4 PM is more likely to buy a new PM than a dood like you who already has last year's 2.5. Except I'd rather get something that uses some technology that's a bit newer than 2 years old. If I'm going to plunk down a few grand, I'd rather get something like a 970MP. I'd also like to get a system that doesn't have water cooling because you're lucky if it lasts two years. Good luck with that.

3 years of applecare - 2 yrs of life for my water cooling system = 1 year for my system to die and apple to give me a new one. thanks.
  • Reply 30 of 185
    Can anyone connect to thinksecret?

Says connection refused here.. wonder if down for maintenance or other reason.
  • Reply 30 of 185
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    And how much dough did they charge you for that AppleCare of yours?
  • Reply 32 of 185
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Right now I'd rather see Express than a single dual core chip.

My plans are to wait until January Macworld, and hope that they have a machine with Express and (hopefully) dual dual cores.

Tiger is multitheaded. From the specs, it looks that it will handle four cores. Panther will not.

I don't think it pays to buy a machine now that isn't Express. The PC world will be pretty much converted to Express by January (except for the cheap ones). It's going to get harder to get boards for PCI X over the next year or so because of that. S-ATA 2 is also out now,

I don't know what Apple is waiting for. They can go to Express with a 2.7 chip. That WOULD be a big upgrade.
  • Reply 33 of 185
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

And how much dough did they charge you for that AppleCare of yours?

and appropriate amount, and it covers my nice 20" display too.
  • Reply 34 of 185
    A more appropriate thread title seems to be in order

Updated Apple Prozac G5 systems en route to company stores
  • Reply 35 of 185
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

and appropriate amount, and it covers my nice 20" display too.

So you're saying that, if your water cooling system fails in 2 years, you have your AppleCare to take care of it right? You should have also said that you paid an 'appropriate' amount of money for that AppleCare.

Systems should not fail in 2 years. But since you got AppleCare, you're all set.
  • Reply 36 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

So you're saying that, if your water cooling system fails in 2 years, you have your AppleCare to take care of it right? You should have also said that you paid an 'appropriate' amount of money for that AppleCare.

Systems should not fail in 2 years. But since you got AppleCare, you're all set.

I like your quote about Hitchcock. I have another one.

He was asked, in an interview, about his fears. He said that the was afraid of policemen. The interviewer was surprised and asked him why.

His response was "Because they might arrest me."

Strange fellow.
  • Reply 37 of 185
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gamblor

Maybe not... If this rumor turns out to be true, then they're still AGP motherboards, because the Radeon 9600 doesn't come in a PCIe configuration. (I think...)

That might not be too bad, though. If I were in Apple's shoes, and looking at the introduction of the 970MP & GX in the next 6-9 months, I don't think I'd want to put a whole lot of effort into redesigning motherboards that support the 970FX, either (provided we're just getting updated FX's). Wait for the new chips before going whole hog with PCIe, built in hardware RAID support, SLI, and what the hell... throw in SATAN bus just for good measure. One free exorcism with every machine purchase!

Then this just shows stupid marketing/hardware development on Apple's side. Who's going to upgrade from any current tower to the new ones without some reason. Dual core would be a reason. Maybe 3GHz would be a reason. PCIe would definitely be a reason. But this is just another "Hey, look at us! We can't get better chips from IBM, and we don't want to spend any of our money actually trying to make the current systems better, so we're just going to take our original 2-year old machine, slap a couple extra megs of RAM in there, maybe boost the video card, and call it an upgrade.

All I know is that if that's all this update is, the only people buying them will be those who absolutely NEED them. Everyone else (including myself) will be sitting on the sideline because there ain't much there compared to what was there, again TWO YEARS AGO! Its like taking a 2003 Civic, sticking in a slightly more powerful engine, upgrading the CD player from 4 to 6 discs, and saying its a 2005 model. Sorry, I don't buy it (and no one else will, either).

What I'm seeing here is the same thing I've been saying for weeks. Calling the current crop of PowerMacs "Pro" machines is like saying the Tampa Bay Devil Rays is a "pro" baseball team.
  • Reply 38 of 185
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Apple has reportedly begun shipping new Pro desktops to some of its retail stores.

According to sources, new Apple Power Macs have already begun shipping to select Apple retail stores in the United States.

The models spotted were dual 2GHz, 2.3GHz, and 2.7GHz. All three versions reportedly sport new dual-layer DVD burners. The dual 2GHz configuration reportedly includes 512 ram, a 160 hard disk, and a 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card.

Apple is expected to make CPU-related announcements as early as Tuesday (though one source says the new Power Macs may debut on a Wednesday).

Reports also suggest the company may be in the process of updating the majority of its CPU offerings to include Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger as the default operating system.

While iMacs and eMacs are now reflecting ship times of 5-7 business days, the remainder of Apple's CPU product lines are also showing extended times today (of 1-3 business days).

Apple last introduced new CPU hardware on January 31st when it announced faster Power Book G4 laptops.
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

Alas , just as I thought..The TS "rumor" was right.. Im going to bet that they are not dual core either.
  • Reply 39 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

He was asked, in an interview, about his fears. He said that the was afraid of policemen. The interviewer was surprised and asked him why.

His response was "Because they might arrest me."

Strange fellow.

Hitch's dad had him locked up when he was really young, just to see what it was like. Just for a few minutes, the idea being to keep him out of trouble later.

His movies were so visceral I think because he rode his early experiences like a cat stalking over a samurai blade, never afraid to explore the horrifying immediacy of evil.

Speaking of the "immediacy of evil." I fear the the immediacy of mediocrity at the moment, and it makes me sick to my stomach.
  • Reply 40 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Then this just shows stupid marketing/hardware development on Apple's side. Who's going to upgrade from any current tower to the new ones without some reason. Dual core would be a reason. Maybe 3GHz would be a reason. PCIe would definitely be a reason. But this is just another "Hey, look at us! We can't get better chips from IBM, and we don't want to spend any of our money actually trying to make the current systems better, so we're just going to take our original 2-year old machine, slap a couple extra megs of RAM in there, maybe boost the video card, and call it an upgrade.

All I know is that if that's all this update is, the only people buying them will be those who absolutely NEED them. Everyone else (including myself) will be sitting on the sideline because there ain't much there compared to what was there, again TWO YEARS AGO! Its like taking a 2003 Civic, sticking in a slightly more powerful engine, upgrading the CD player from 4 to 6 discs, and saying its a 2005 model. Sorry, I don't buy it (and no one else will, either).

What I'm seeing here is the same thing I've been saying for weeks. Calling the current crop of PowerMacs "Pro" machines is like saying the Tampa Bay Devil Rays is a "pro" baseball team.

I can't understand it either. why drop the 9800 and go with 9600 and 9650 boards? That isn't very foward looking. but I quess it's better than the 5200 boards that they were using for the lower models before. At least put 1Gig RAM in the top machine.

What ever happened to that GPU chip developement company they bought a few years ago? I thought we would see something from that.