Updated Apple Power Mac G5 systems en route to company stores

Comments

• Reply 61 of 185
    i still have some hope that these rumours are not true. and if they are true, imagine what would happen if we found out these were overclocked G5 chips?
  • Reply 62 of 185
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Right now I'd rather see Express than a single dual core chip.

It's going to get harder to get boards for PCI X over the next year or so because of that. S-ATA 2 is also out now,

I don't know what Apple is waiting for. They can go to Express with a 2.7 chip. That WOULD be a big upgrade.

I rather think they are waiting for cards in their key markets. I have no knowledge of hollywood and audio PCI cards but how many have actually switched over to PCI-e?

I have no doubt they're watching the market and if they haven't upgraded I expect they have a pretty decent reason beyond being cheap. PCI-e does actually simplify board design and give them more freedom.
  • Reply 63 of 185
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I believe you'll get a Pioneer DVR-A09 16x, dual layer DVD burner. Which is not current BTW.

Actually it is current. This is exactly the point I've been making in the other threads!

The Rev. B machines have been shipping with the 109 mech for some time now, but Apple have crippled it via firmware.

This is good news in a sense, because it means that the 109 will finally be fully supported by the OS and anybody savvy enough will be able to reflash their drive and enjoy all the features... I'm looking forward to being able to burn a DVD in under four minutes!

• Reply 64 of 185
    buccibucci Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Sorry hm. Tiger is what you want. I need the kind of performance, and upgradeability that Tiger, and a dual 2.7GHz Macintosh can't offer. Not from what the reports say anyway.

It all depends on what you're going to be using the machine for. What would you be using it for? What kind of performance and upgradeability are you looking for? From everything I've heard, the PowerMacs are the top of the line for the most intensive tasks. If you're looking for games, blame the software companies for not porting them.

I'm still trying to figure out what all the complaining is about. Soon you'll be offered faster hardware at the same (if not cheaper) price. [seinfeld] And what's the deal with this PCIe stuff?[/seinfeld] Every benchmark I've seen only shows a negligible difference between it and AGP. The only time it really shines is in synthetic benchmarks, which are just that, synthetic. Am I missing something here?
  • Reply 65 of 185
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Actually it is current. This is exactly the point I've been making in the other threads!

The Rev. B machines have been shipping with the 109 mech for some time now, but Apple have crippled it via firmware.

This is good news in a sense, because it means that the 109 will finally be fully supported by the OS and anybody savvy enough will be able to reflash their drive and enjoy all the features... I'm looking forward to being able to burn a DVD in under four minutes!

I believe your thinking of the DVR A07 (which had a variant prototype dual layer burner) , and A08 (early version didn't burn dual). I don't think the A09 has made it into a Mac yet. #1 because it wasn't for sale yet when the 2.5's were announced.
  • Reply 66 of 185
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    it seems to me that, again, it is not Apple's fault that the cpu clockspeed increases are staggering.

I can get all the rest of your frustrations w/ apple.

but don't blame them for a minor clock increase, it's simply not their fault.
  • Reply 67 of 185
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The only negatives I see are the lack of PCIe and the probably prices.

Let's see... CPU bumps, improved base graphics card, more standard RAM, larger standard HDD, a better optical drive, and Tiger... not bad, but without PCIe, they need a $200-300 price drop across the board. Even with PCIe, they may still need about a $200 price drop.
  • Reply 68 of 185
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gamblor

You do realize, of course, that that's precisely the type of "upgrade" car manufacturers do most often. They don't redesign the car from the ground up every year-- they make small changes most years & total redesigns every 5-6 years or so... This criticism & analogy is just... odd[...]

Different ball game with cars.
  • Reply 69 of 185
    It's incredibly unlikely that these systems will be any kind of quantum leap, however I'm now of the opinion that Apple will preview the so-called xStation at WWDC, making it available to developers within four weeks prior to more general availability for October 2005.

There is a precedent for this kind of behaviour in Apple's original G5 release in 2003, and it would allow developers an opportunity to create some dual-core/dual processor aware applications prior to the systems becoming generally available for review.
  • Reply 70 of 185
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bucci

And what's the deal with this PCIe stuff?[/seinfeld] Every benchmark I've seen only shows a negligible difference between it and AGP. The only time it really shines is in synthetic benchmarks, which are just that, synthetic. Am I missing something here?

Quartz 2D Extreme should bennefit greatly from PCI-E. But you're right, so far, there haven't been any real world tests which make PCI-E a must have for the masses.

I am one of those who believe that the pending update is a stop-gap measure while the true next generation powermac is still being developed. I'm thinking that PCI-E will debut on a completely new motherboard with a new CPU. Redesigning the current board while retaining an aging CPU isn't very economical for apple or it's customers... but hopefully i'm wrong.
  • Reply 71 of 185
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Macrumors has a nice little oppsie by Amazon..

nevermind posted in another thread..
  • Reply 72 of 185
    dave jdave j Posts: 84member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Quartz 2D Extreme should bennefit greatly from PCI-E. But you're right, so far, there haven't been any real world tests which make PCI-E a must have for the masses.

BlackMagic's MultiBridge card is PCEe ONLY. And yes it is faster (which is why it's PCIe in the first place). Connecting to a G5 is an extra-cost option. If anyone here thinks PCIe won't become the new standard, maybe they would be interested in my IIci (still runs).

For those for whom the current update represents good value: In a year you'll be dumping it for a PCIe mobo. I frankly am amazed anyone would think ONCE about buying these machines. Oh well...
  • Reply 73 of 185
    Anyone who falls for this obvious SUCKER'S CLEARANCE SALE

speed bump has my sympathy.

I'm still waiting to see what Apple means

by " Spotlight on Innovation " for WWDC.
  • Reply 74 of 185
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

Anyone who falls for this obvious SUCKER'S CLEARANCE SALE

speed bump has my sympathy.

I'm with you. I think that the real powermac revision will be at the Stevenote as the one more thing...
  • Reply 75 of 185
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave J

For those for whom the current update represents good value: In a year you'll be dumping it for a PCIe mobo. I frankly am amazed anyone would think ONCE about buying these machines. Oh well...

You must not be aware of the type of user who uses their computer as a money making tool. If a new G5 gets more video editing done each work day, then buying one now allows you to make more money now.
  • Reply 76 of 185
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

I dont' see nothing more than the obvious. What are you counting on?
  • Reply 77 of 185
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I dont' see nothing more than the obvious. What are you counting on?

thats their catchline every year, isnt it?
  • Reply 78 of 185
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist

It's incredibly unlikely that these systems will be any kind of quantum leap, however I'm now of the opinion that Apple will preview the so-called xStation at WWDC, making it available to developers within four weeks prior to more general availability for October 2005.

There is a precedent for this kind of behaviour in Apple's original G5 release in 2003, and it would allow developers an opportunity to create some dual-core/dual processor aware applications prior to the systems becoming generally available for review.

Apple won't preview anything. That would be even worse for business than the paltry updates. If they do release something, it'll be at worst, 2 month delay in product shipment (or product announcement 2 months early).
  • Reply 79 of 185
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ineedag5pbnow

thats their catchline every year, isnt it?

Tiger is innovation and they are going to talk much about it and the technologies it brings to the table. And for good reason. If they release the next days new Power Macs, as it seems now, what else one could expect in WWDC? New eMacs?
  • Reply 80 of 185
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Apple won't preview anything. That would be even worse for business than the paltry updates. If they do release something, it'll be at worst, 2 month delay in product shipment (or product announcement 2 months early).

I disagree, If they preview dual core at WWDC and release in Sept. then there will be huge press over this event. Now, if you want a powermac you can buy one that is faster than what had been out. Right now it still looks like apple is producing faster units albeit only 200mhz faster.

Some of those who were waiting will buy and it will give apple a chance to clear inventory of whatever. On the other hand, apple could release dual core at WWDC and keep the lineup that isn't dual core the same.