Tiger and Classic ... what to do???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here's the deal ... I have Tiger coming in soon and I'm cleaning house. Wiping my hard drive and starting from the ground up. Got everything ready to go, backed up and now I'm just waiting for the postman, then it hit me ... what will happen to my Classic environment? If I wipe the drive, I'm obviously going to lose it, and I don't have any OS 9.2.2 discs, because it came pre-installed on my computer with 10.2.3. I need to keep it, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it other than abadoning my plans of a clean install. I do have the software restore disk that came with my iMac G4 but don't know if that will help me ... thanks to anyone out there with help!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Burn the system folder to a cd and just copy it back.

You might need a prog like disk warrior to re-bless the folder tho.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Burn the system folder to a cd and just copy it back.

You might need a prog like disk warrior to re-bless the folder tho.

Yes, System Folder is just a folder. If your iMac cannot boot in 9.x, you even don't have to bless it because it would not make sense. Just burn the System Folder and that's it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Awesome ... very simple! Thanks for the help!!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    You can also reinstall Classic from the CD that came with your machine. There should be an "Install Applications" or "Software Installer" app on the CD, and that will allow you to install the Classic environment, as well as the rest of the apps that come with a Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    i dunno if you can still do this with new computers, but when i installed a new hard drive, i simply installed 9.2.1 from the CD first, then when that was all set, i installed OS X on top. that gave me the clean install for OS X and gave me the classic environment. you may not be able to do this anymore since the new macs don't boot OS 9, but if you're wiping the hard drive, it may work. i'm skeptical of whether copying ur system folder will work.. it may, but i'm not sure. i'd check with someone from the genius bar at an apple store. or maybe there's even a thing on the apple forums. i'd check it out before you do anything, though...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Just to verify: Copying the System Folder *does* work.

There´s no way a "new World" Mac would boot OS 9...

(And here are my 2 Cents: Why would someone use Classic?)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Denmaru

Just to verify: Copying the System Folder *does* work.

There?s no way a "new World" Mac would boot OS 9...

(And here are my 2 Cents: Why would someone use Classic?)

I use the graphing calculator a lot and I still have a lot of old game apps that run under classic. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it ... kinda like a floppy drive I guess?

And to clarify ... I'm not trying to boot into OS 9 ... no, no, no ... just keep my Classic environment around in case I need it. I swore off OS 9 as a full time OS option once I got Jaguar!

But thanks for the help. I'll just burn the system folder then and copy it over once I've got Tiger running.