Best 23" LCD Options

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am about 2 days away from ordering my new monitor and I am weighing my options. My first choice is Apple's 23" HD display but I have just recently read several reviews that rate Sony's 23" and HP's 23" as better LCDs. What really threw me for a loop was that it was Macworld that made the comparisons. I love the Apple display but I want to get the best overall display for my money and the other 2 are actually cheaper (hundreds cheaper). I was hoping someone here has some insight into these other models. I've posted the Macworld link with the comparisons.

Macworld 23" LCD Review

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

I am about 2 days away from ordering my new monitor and I am weighing my options. My first choice is Apple's 23" HD display but I have just recently read several reviews that rate Sony's 23" and HP's 23" as better LCDs. What really threw me for a loop was that it was Macworld that made the comparisons. I love the Apple display but I want to get the best overall display for my money and the other 2 are actually cheaper (hundreds cheaper). I was hoping someone here has some insight into these other models. I've posted the Macworld link with the comparisons.

Macworld 23" LCD Review

Search in the forums for L2335 ...

I think Macworld is right
  • Reply 2 of 31
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Anyone try this with the mini? How does it look at 1920x1200? Does the pivot function work with the mini?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    The new 24-inch Dell 2405FPW just barely missed that review.

I suspect it would have either won or come in second. It has all the same connectivity that L2335 has. Panel is Samsung's new 24-incher, even better quality than the Samsung 243T that was included in the Macworld test. Full adjustments and pivot. Card reader for seven types of memory cards. USB 2.0 hub. Initial user reports say the quality is great; only problem so far is bad support for Macrovision DVD's through composite/SVHS/component. Through DVI and VGA it's naturally just pixels so no problem. US price is below $1000 if you look for the deals.

e1618978, I think there is going to be manual pivot functionality in Tiger?
  • Reply 4 of 31
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Damn I'm really confused now. I see a lot of really great looking monitors out there now (not necessarily the form factor, but the display itself and the price). That 24" ....I cant believe I'm saying this...Dell looks like a hell of a deal compared to Apples 23" but the Dell looks very cheap and plasticy. I have the cabbage to make the purchase now but was hoping for more feedback on the choices and their options. I still say the Apple looks the most durrable and has the sexiest case but I've read a lot of mixed reviews now. It's all subjective to some degree but there sure does seem to be a lot of people out there dogging their quality and for $1599.00 that scares me.\
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Quote:

Damn I'm really confused now. I see a lot of really great looking monitors out there now (not necessarily the form factor, but the display itself and the price). That 24" ....I cant believe I'm saying this...Dell looks like a hell of a deal compared to Apples 23" but the Dell looks very cheap and plasticy. I have the cabbage to make the purchase now but was hoping for more feedback on the choices and their options. I still say the Apple looks the most durrable and has the sexiest case but I've read a lot of mixed reviews now. It's all subjective to some degree but there sure does seem to be a lot of people out there dogging their quality and for $1599.00 that scares me.\

If paying Apple equivalent prices is no problem, Viewsonic VP231wb offers great looks and top quality. Has DVI+VGA, DVI supports HDCP if you care about such a thing. Also has full three-way adjustment and pivot, like all Viewsonic pro series.

The HP has the full set of connectors, no HDCP, better price and doesn't look as good IMO.

Depending on what you want, I'd say the reasonable choices are Dell, HP, Viewsonic in no particular order. Benq, the former price winner, is now soundly beat by the Dell in absolutely everything: price, features and quality. I think looks are about equal on the two.

I have the 2405FPW on order now. It's 1300EUR, the HP 1700EUR, and the Viewsonic 1800EUR.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

If paying Apple equivalent prices is no problem, Viewsonic VP231wb offers great looks and top quality. Has DVI+VGA, DVI supports HDCP if you care about such a thing. Also has full three-way adjustment and pivot, like all Viewsonic pro series.

The HP has the full set of connectors, no HDCP, better price and doesn't look as good IMO.

Depending on what you want, I'd say the reasonable choices are Dell, HP, Viewsonic in no particular order. Benq, the former price winner, is now soundly beat by the Dell in absolutely everything: price, features and quality. I think looks are about equal on the two.

I have the 2405FPW on order now. It's 1300EUR, the HP 1700EUR, and the Viewsonic 1800EUR.

Thanks, the more I look at the Dell it seems like a hard deal to beat. Theres nothing that really comes close in any category except the appearance/form factor. I havent seen anything that flat out states it but do you know if the Dell is VESA mountable? Honestly if I could get rid of that shitty looking base on the Dell it might be a done deal. Thanks again.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Quote:

Thanks, the more I look at the Dell it seems like a hard deal to beat. Theres nothing that really comes close in any category except the appearance/form factor. I havent seen anything that flat out states it but do you know if the Dell is VESA mountable?

Google ->

dell 2405fpw vesa mount ->

I feel lucky

Every 20" and bigger LCD I have ever heard of is VESA mountable, apart from LCD TV's.
    Quote:

Thanks again.

No prob, I've spent a ridiculous amount of time looking up these things for my own purchase and it feels good to be able to share some of that info so it doesn't go to waste.

Before the Dell display came out, I would probably have ended up with a Viewsonic/Benq/Dell 20-inch non widescreen, or Dell 20-inch widescreen. This would have been a hard choice. Apple displays were right out, since I have an iBook which can't drive the DVI and I wanted extra inputs anyway. It's feasible to attach two game consoles/VCRs/DVDs, the iBook and an another computer to the 2405fpw. And that's assuming you leave the worse-by-nature composite input as a spare.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    OK I just got back from Comp USA on my lunch break and they officially have the stupidest employees available. Off to post a thread in insiders lounge about this topic.

Here's the thing I do a lot of 3D work and I'm really attached to having at least 1 monitor that is 16:9 ratio or widescreen for my tools paletes off to the side. I would like to eventually get a second monitor that will hold my mail, IM clients, tutorials, or just to play video. Ideally I'd like to mount the main widescreen monitor (be it Apple, Dell, or HP) on a VESA mounted arm to free up desktop space and give the monitor additional mobility. Last year I spent 2 weeks building a studio-type desk so I'm very particular with whats going to go on it.

Currently I have $2000.00 to spend on the monitor(s) so I'm still open to suggestions. I'm thinking tomorrow might be the day.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    $2000 would be exactly what you need to get the dual monitor rig in the middle of this Arstechnica thread, with 2405FPW, 2001FP and dual VESA mount. The two screens are identically high in pixels, which is a plus for usability. (My current monitor setup irritates me - mouse cursor gets "stuck" while going to the larger screen to the smaller one.)

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...001952631/p/14
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Gon, thanks for your advice.

Although I appreciate the help I just couldn't bring myself to purchase a dell (regardless of the massive price difference). I just placed an order for the 23" HD Cinema Display from Apple. I dont know if it's loyalty or what because I know I overpaid but I just had to get the Apple. Thanks again for the insight. I'll let you know how this purchase works out.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    You know, I'd probably pass on the Dell as well, even if it was the better deal. Maybe I would look at the HP, but probably would go Apple. I'm affraid I've received an overdose of RDF in my lifetime.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

You know, I'd probably pass on the Dell as well, even if it was the better deal. Maybe I would look at the HP, but probably would go Apple. I'm affraid I've received an overdose of RDF in my lifetime.

"Better deal" is the whole package, and only rarely one choice is definitely better than the other.

I'm a bit surprised, though, that Playmaker picked the Apple 23" in stead of Viewsonic or maybe Samsung. Was it just looks?

I'd understand the 20" much more readily because it only faces competition from Dell and not from the others.

I had to google for "RDF" to find out it stands for "Reality Distortion Field". How do you mean it applies here?
  • Reply 13 of 31
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    There's this thing with Steve Jobs having an RDF, and others having contracted it from here.

That's the way I understand what Carson O'Genic said. If I'm wrong, I got my own doze of RDF too :P
  • Reply 14 of 31
    While I personally ended up buying a Dell, it's ugly as shit, and makes me cringe when I have clients around.

In that sense, if you want your setup to look "really nice", the Apple display does add value on that front. So for instance if you have a lot of clients around, or if it's worth it to you to have a really amazing looking setup, the extra few hundred bucks may be worth it (it isn't like it's twice as expensive).
  • Reply 15 of 31
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    nm
  • Reply 16 of 31
    silversilver Posts: 34member
    I bought the Apple HD 23" two weeks ago, and didn't regret it. I was having doubts too, looking at the Dell. But now I'm sitting in front of it, I'm quite pleased by it's beauty, and the quality of the screen.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

In that sense, if you want your setup to look "really nice", the Apple display does add value on that front. So for instance if you have a lot of clients around, or if it's worth it to you to have a really amazing looking setup,

... you mean the Samsungs, Viewsonics and whatnot do not look as good?

Just asking for clarification here. I fully understand choosing an Apple over a Dell, and agree that it looks better, I just don't understand why turn down other goodlooking screens that do not suffer from the QC problems Apple has, that have better warranty and better features.
    Quote:

the extra few hundred bucks may be worth it (it isn't like it's twice as expensive).

To be exact, people on Arstechnica and the like have gotten the Dell 24" for as low as below $900 with coupon deals. The price right now at Dell Small Business is $1000. Apple Store price for the 23" is $1800. I think it's fair to say the Apple is twice as expensive, and calling $800 "a couple hundred bucks" is misleading IMO.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

... you mean the Samsungs, Viewsonics and whatnot do not look as good?

Just asking for clarification here. I fully understand choosing an Apple over a Dell, and agree that it looks better, I just don't understand why turn down other goodlooking screens that do not suffer from the QC problems Apple has, that have better warranty and better features.To be exact, people on Arstechnica and the like have gotten the Dell 24" for as low as below $900 with coupon deals. The price right now at Dell Small Business is $1000. Apple Store price for the 23" is $1800. I think it's fair to say the Apple is twice as expensive, and calling $800 "a couple hundred bucks" is misleading IMO.

I was comparing like with like, i.e. standard pricing. That said, you do have a point: Dell often run special offers or coupons, whereas Apple does not do that. As I said in my post, I ended up buying a Dell myself (it was a specail offer).
  • Reply 19 of 31
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Just asking for clarification here. I fully understand choosing an Apple over a Dell, and agree that it looks better, I just don't understand why turn down other goodlooking screens that do not suffer from the QC problems Apple has, that have better warranty and better features.

I would guess that because people are superficial and cannot handle not having a brand that can be namedropped at will. Doesn't it sound more impressive to say you have an Apple 23" display than a Dell 24" display? People know the former is more expensive and the latter, being Dell, must be crap.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    My best friend ended up getting the Dell 24"... He LOVES it. At the last minute I talked him out of buying the apple 23" for the dell.

He scammed the display for 869.00!!!! Its funny... for the same price you can run 2 dell 24" LCDs