M$ just has amazing timing don't they?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
M$ started shipping 64-bit versions of Windows on Tuesday. Imagine that. I'm so sick of M$ claiming industry-leading technology when really all they do is sit around and try to get more headlines before other companies release something big. Boy if I had $2.5 million dollars for a Superbowl commercial, just to sit there and explain what M$ is and has been doing...

they can go to hell

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    wasn't Panther partially optimized for 64bit and now with Tiger, fully optimized?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

wasn't Panther partially optimized for 64bit and now with Tiger, fully optimized?

yeah i believe so.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Partially optimized?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    They won't fully optimized the OS until they sunset G4 and G3 support. Until then there are basically just software hooks.

BTW, why does anybody care what MS does? This is what competitors do.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nowayout11

They won't fully optimized the OS until they sunset G4 and G3 support. Until then there are basically just software hooks.

That's not true; they can easily make an installer that detects the hardware and installs the appropriate flavor of the Mac OS X PPC kernel.

In fact, there's going to be a technology in Tiger for developers that offers such a thing, called Fat Binaries.

Quote:

The updated Mach-O format in Tiger supports the concept of Fat Binaries. These allow both 32-bit and 64-bit executables to be shipped as part of the same file.

From Apple's 64bit page.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Partially optimized?

as in, "part" of the OS was optimized and not all of it or as pervasively as Tiger. Panther never claimed to be a 64bit OS as a matter of fact.