Amazon lists new Power Mac G5 models for pre-order

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

i had a *ahem* sexy dream last night involving twins, so i think this means that the new Powermac dual G5s will be dual-core ?? 8)

No, it means that the iMac and the Powermac will have a bastard son. That could be pretty cool!
  • Reply 62 of 73
    dave jdave j Posts: 84member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

"The Bay Area is a grave and gathering threat that we must confront with resolve. Some of my opponents caution to wait for a smoking gun, but we must not wait for the smoking gun to come in the form of a giant mushroom over a major US city......er....I meant, 'mushroom cloud', heh, heh."

Too rich!
  • Reply 63 of 73
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Apple?s not listening, Apple doesn?t care; so get over it people. If paying top dollar for a system that doesn?t fulfill your needs or make you happy then don?t. Jump ship that?s what I do, I bounce back and fourth from Apple to a brand X Unix machine so often I don?t notice it anymore. If Apple can?t give you what you want this year f-ckit buy a PC (non-win) and wait until next year. I started doing this during the G4 550Mhz to 500Mhz fiasco. My money doesn?t come easy; if I know I can have a better machine from someone else I?ll jump without hesitation. Example; last week I bought a Dual 3.6Ghz Xeon from HP, it?s running Solaris 10 and I couldn?t be happier. I looked at Apple's offering before buying; no PCI-E, no 3Ghz+, 10.000rpm HD BTO or SCSII, workstation graphic cards, extra drive bays, yeah I'll wait untill next year to buy.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    i think i'm gonna have to get one of these babies- can't hold out any longer oh well, am sure its gonna kick my ass for a year or so until all the new fancy gadgets are all out and in place- then I can cry and whine about how annoying it was waiting 6 months for a lousy upgrade.

also- in regards to ms- am actually warming to them, due to the huge amount of money and resources Gates puts towards charity. pity i dont like their os much.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Apple?s not listening, Apple doesn?t care; so get over it people. If paying top dollar for a system that doesn?t fulfill your needs or make you happy then don?t. Jump ship that?s what I do, I bounce back and fourth from Apple to a brand X Unix machine so often I don?t notice it anymore.......

you slut !!!

edit: what Unix would you recommend for us poor noobs? besides Solahris hell i cant even spell Solahris...
  • Reply 66 of 73
    Quote:

you slut !!!

edit: what Unix would you recommend for us poor noobs? besides Solahris hell i cant even spell Solahris...

Hey what can I say; at least I walk away with a smile on my face.

OSX is a very easy Unix because it tries to hide that fact. Root is disabled for goodness sakes. My point is it?s going to be tough trying to find another Unix flavor that is as easy as OSX. I?ve been a Unix CLI guy for about 12 years now so when I search for Unix flavor I?m looking for reliability and speed over ease of use. My favorite choices are Solaris (I love the new 10, try it), AIX, Redhat Workstation (PC OS choice), Irix (just for goofing around) and NetBSD (my server choice).

I understand that most Apple users don?t want to go through the learning process or probably think Unix as a scary sacred land but it?s something that should be looked into. If Apple decides today to stop making computers I wouldn?t flinch in my productivity, would you?

Apples are great but an orange can be just as satisfying.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hugodrax

Wow 3Grand gets you a whopping fast 96xx ATI video card and a whole 512M of ram and good old AGP.

Cool.

I guess I will not be upsizing from my Mini yet.

No, since two 2.7GHz G5s aren't really faster than a 1.42GHz G4.

It seems that the majority of whiners in these threads obviously doesn't need the speed anyway.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

I understand that most Apple users don?t want to go through the learning process or probably think Unix as a scary sacred land but it?s something that should be looked into.

I guess missing apps and twice the license cost for apps that are available on both platforms has something to do with it too
  • Reply 69 of 73
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Hey what can I say; at least I walk away with a smile on my face.

OSX is a very easy Unix because it tries to hide that fact. Root is disabled for goodness sakes. My point is it?s going to be tough trying to find another Unix flavor that is as easy as OSX. I?ve been a Unix CLI guy for about 12 years now so when I search for Unix flavor I?m looking for reliability and speed over ease of use. My favorite choices are Solaris (I love the new 10, try it), AIX, Redhat Workstation (PC OS choice), Irix (just for goofing around) and NetBSD (my server choice).

I understand that most Apple users don?t want to go through the learning process or probably think Unix as a scary sacred land but it?s something that should be looked into. If Apple decides today to stop making computers I wouldn?t flinch in my productivity, would you?

Apples are great but an orange can be just as satisfying.

ah, the secret's out then. you is a unix guru... i tried installing Redhat on a 1997 ex-windows pc. i was impressed, but i didn't like gnome or kde, got scared like you said, and also redhat linux 9 didn't support USB or my 802.11b PCI card ~ didn't support as in i had no idea how to get it to support said peripherals.

also my parents are the main users of that pc, so i had to put windows 2000 back on it. at least they are using thunderbird and firefox nowadays
  • Reply 70 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

I guess missing apps and twice the license cost for apps that are available on both platforms has something to do with it too

Jumped over to the open source band wagon a while back, I have all but a small handfull of Apps that I can't compile on both machines. I just replace those with closest available lookalike. I get your point though, someone who uses Photoshop is not going to want to use Gimp for production work, I guess you can alway run Windows in a Vmware enviroment for that.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    Quote:

ah, the secret's out then. you is a unix guru... i tried installing Redhat on a 1997 ex-windows pc. i was impressed, but i didn't like gnome or kde, got scared like you said, and also redhat linux 9 didn't support USB or my 802.11b PCI card ~ didn't support as in i had no idea how to get it to support said peripherals.

also my parents are the main users of that pc, so i had to put windows 2000 back on it. at least they are using thunderbird and firefox nowadays

I think that's the biggest problem with Linux, there?s always something missing or not working in the distribution you choose. I'm yet to have a perfect install where everything just works without me vi'ing some Xfree86 file to get my rez to work with my obscure wide screen monitor. It's gotten better; I suggest trying Fedora Core 3 if you ever want to play with Linux on a PC (8086) again or Yellow Dog Linux (also Fedora Core 3) for a Mac (PPC). It probably has the most complete driver set I've seen yet in a free distribution.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:

I think that's the biggest problem with Linux, there?s always something missing or not working in the distribution you choose. I'm yet to have a perfect install where everything just works without me vi'ing some Xfree86 file to get my rez to work with my obscure wide screen monitor. It's gotten better; I suggest trying Fedora Core 3 if you ever want to play with Linux on a PC (8086) again or Yellow Dog Linux (also Fedora Core 3) for a Mac (PPC). It probably has the most complete driver set I've seen yet in a free distribution.

I had an install of YellowDog Linux on my iBook (G3 800MHz, 14,1 TFT) for almost a year now. Just recently I tried Kubuntu Linux (which, as the name suggests, is Ubuntu but with KDE as a desktop environment) and I switched immediately, for me it worked waaaaaaay better than YDL...

Greetings,

durandal
  • Reply 73 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by durandal

I had an install of YellowDog Linux on my iBook (G3 800MHz, 14,1 TFT) for almost a year now. Just recently I tried Kubuntu Linux (which, as the name suggests, is Ubuntu but with KDE as a desktop environment) and I switched immediately, for me it worked waaaaaaay better than YDL...

Greetings,

durandal

I like Ubuntu for it's small foot print but I'm not sure if it's the best choice for a newbie. YDL throws everything in including the kitchen sink, giving the user an idea of what's out there for the Linux community. Ubuntu though pretty complete makes some sacrifices for this small foot print by pre-choosing the programs they believe to be a viable choice thus not giving you the extra 20 text editors.

If this is my first time with an OS and I do not know what's available in applications I would think a more complete distribution would be the better choice. Then after I could go for a more streamed line dist and choose my own apps to install.