Post your "new PowerMac G5 GPUs suck" grumblings here

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
not being a firestarter or a wannabe mod, but you know it's gonna happen, so go ahead, this is the thread for it.

get heavy on the GPU whining....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    i'll start. one thing that bugs me is...

the 2.0 and 2.3 ghz models feature radeon 9600. top end 2.7ghz gives you radeon 9650.... but theres only a $50 difference between the 9600 128mb and 9650 256mb ..!!

try to customize and order and you'll see what i mean....

i understand powerMac is not an Alienware gaming rig, but the above point just knocks me around a bit
  • Reply 2 of 49
    silversilver Posts: 34member
    Well, we knew what was coming ...

That said, I'm all for the 2.7 Mhz. Besides the 'small speedbump' talk we hear lately, it's a pretty powerfull machine.

The only thing I fear is the refrigerator to cool the CPU (2.7 Mhz only). Anyone had experiences with this ?
  • Reply 3 of 49
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    The saddest pice of PM kit is still the 1.8Ghz single though, with it's mighty mighty 5200. I mean ... bleh.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Silver

Well, we knew what was coming ...

That said, I'm all for the 2.7 Mhz. Besides the 'small speedbump' talk we hear lately, it's a pretty powerfull machine.

The only thing I fear is the refrigerator to cool the CPU (2.7 Mhz only). Anyone had experiences with this ?

yes, the dual 2.7ghz performance benchmarks apple posted are very, very excellent... because

1. dual 2.7ghz G5 is some major number crunching power

2. 1.35ghz frontside bus

3. they are powerPC G5 chips not xeons, pentium4 or opterons.

just.... looks like apple has totally opted out (some might say copped out) of the my FPS is bigger than yours game... they're like, look, we know you're producing serious multimedia not playing counterStrike... if you really must have the biggest baddest FPS, just add $450 for the nVidia Ultra 6800...

edit: i'd say the 6800 Ultra approaches the 'hardcore alienware rig' gaming-level performance, but this statement could be quite silly because 3DMark05 for example doesn't run on Mac and APis, etc. are different because there is no DirectX9 for mac

$450 also buys you a nice coreImage boost:

• Reply 5 of 49
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    where is the x800? is ATI low on stock or something?
  • Reply 6 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by quamb

spot on mate, spot on. where t fck is the x800? that seemed like a very natural choice for a fairly mild hit on apple's profit margins. (which might have worked out better for apple because then mac fans would consider the PowerMac g5 for gaming as well as multimedia production / web surfing/ dvd ripping/ etc etc etc...)

IMHO there's the f8ck up on apple's marketing side... penny wise pound foolish

edit: i thought a 9800 even maybe...
  • Reply 7 of 49
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    I was wondering that. It looks like the Radeon 9650 is just slightly more powerful than the previous Radeon 9600XT. But the fact that the 9800XT and the X800XT are now missing is rather spooky!!
  • Reply 8 of 49
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quamb

Yeah, they're low on stock right now. But it could be for other reasons.

I love how Apple compares the top-of-the-line Powermac to a lower-end Powermac instead of a top-of-the-line-PC. What a transparent bit of propaganda that is.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    Checking on the Mac gamer's site, the X800 is indeed out-of-stock and has been for at least two months now! Lord knows what is going on there. Maybe they're readying their new Fudo core for Mac as well as PC together?
  • Reply 10 of 49
    okay

1. if it is a stock issue fair enough. ati shows in stock though

2. all this whinging about GPUs is really retarded, if faster cards are in stock, because a few $100 more and you get your kick ass ati card ... it's not like it's a laptop where you cant just plug in a new GPU..?!!

3. at the same time though given the smallish price spread of the gpu compared to a few thousand for the Powermac, apple's 'stinging' on the GPU doesn't make sense if they are marketing a really top-end computer

• Reply 11 of 49
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ic1male

I was wondering that. It looks like the Radeon 9650 is just slightly more powerful than the previous Radeon 9600XT. But the fact that the 9800XT and the X800XT are now missing is rather spooky!!

Does it really matter? You can always purchase the card . Apple probably couldn't get a guaranteed lot amount from ATI so was forced to exclude from their line up. I don't mind buying a high end card from someone else, my beef was with the lack of a mid-range card as default. This has been rectified and all is well in Mactopia. Now where the f-ck is my dual core 3ghz machine, with PCI-E man!
  • Reply 12 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

...... I don't mind buying a high end card from someone else, my beef was with the lack of a mid-range card as default. This has been rectified and all is well in Mactopia

yup cool... except you have to either order the g5 without a video card or sell/ebay the existing card and buy your high end card then

Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

.....Now where the f-ck is my dual core 3ghz machine, with PCI-E man!

i don't think you're ready for that sort of power, my young padawan. patience, and when the time comes, you will enjoy 3ghz. you are wise in the ways of unix but still have a lot to learn when it comes to the iForce...
  • Reply 13 of 49
    silversilver Posts: 34member
    What's the difference between a Radeon X800 and a Radeon 9650 ?
  • Reply 14 of 49
    To be honest, it doesn't matter to me either way! I haven't got a Power Mac now and I won't be getting one again. I've just shelled out on an Athlon 64 PC and I'm saving for an iBook now.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

yup cool... except you have to either order the g5 without a video card or sell/ebay the existing card and buy your high end card then

Funny that you can't downgrade it to the Nvidia 5200.

Quote:

i don't think you're ready for that sort of power, my young padawan. patience, and when the time comes, you will enjoy 3ghz. you are wise in the ways of unix but still have a lot to learn when it comes to the iForce...

Ready, ready? I was born ready! When I was younger my mom say's son, when your older your going to be into speed. Later on after 3 months in rehab I realized she was talking about computers. Anyway, I needs the speed, I long for it baby, bring it ooon!
  • Reply 16 of 49
    n3on3o Posts: 56member
    i simply can not understand why they killed the 2.5...
  • Reply 17 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by n3o

i simply can not understand why they killed the 2.5...

it's because the 2.5 was an overclocked G5 chip. dare i say it was an overclocked 2.3?

maybe i'm wrong, if so, someone correct me.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Overclocking.

You can't prove it unless you can physically see the chip marking. The Theory of Apple overclocking chips is rather daft. If they test a chip and it runs at 2.5GHz then It's a 2.5Ghz chip. To my knowledge there's never been proof of an Apple overlocked system. I do believe companies "underclock" chips to reduce heat concerns.

I think the whole "overclocking" thing is yet another bad habit that Mac users have picked up from PC users.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Overclocking.

You can't prove it unless you can physically see the chip marking. The Theory of Apple overclocking chips is rather daft. If they test a chip and it runs at 2.5GHz then It's a 2.5Ghz chip. To my knowledge there's never been proof of an Apple overlocked system. I do believe companies "underclock" chips to reduce heat concerns.

I think the whole "overclocking" thing is yet another bad habit that Mac users have picked up from PC users.

why is it only a theory? hasn't someone with a dual 2.5 PM checked?
  • Reply 20 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Performa636CD

why is it only a theory? hasn't someone with a dual 2.5 PM checked?

Yeah there's a place with a big disclaimer, "Uh yeah like this computer has been overclocked or something, thanx for uhh not suing."