Apple stores pull Wiley titles over new Steve Jobs biography

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    in retaliation for amazon.com leaking powermac g5 specs a day or so early, steve jobs has spoken to jeff bezos. amazon.com is no longer allowed to sell any apple stuff
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Boys with toys.

How juvenile.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    I didn't think I'd ever be in a position to call anyone childish. Something must be wrong.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    This is a dumb move.

1. The people that are hurt the most are the authors and these guys are themselves icons in the Mac world.

2. Actually, if you buy a "for Dummies" book at an Apple Store, you might not have the minimum mental acuity of the target audience. They sell books at list price! You should be able to get the book much cheaper elsewhere. It's hard to believe that the volume of books that Apple stores sells is anything more than tiny.

3. For the small tweak Apple has delivered to Wiley, the publisher is getting huge publicity. I wasn't planning on reading this, but if it starts to be widely talked about, I'll just have to.

I pretty much support Apple's prick-like behavior for those trafficking in stolen information. Whistleblower statutes are in place to allow stealing data when a vital public need to know is more important. The crooks and their moles inside Apple can rot for all I care. This time, I think they are making a stupid move. There probably will be a book about this episode: "Validating Your Enemy's Lies, Distortions and Half-Truths By Hysterically Overreacting BY Dummies."
  • Reply 25 of 52
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

The fact is that Apple pulled all books from the publisher in question in retaliation for publishing a non-authorized biography of Steve Jobs. It is a form of media control, which isn't fair for the authors of the other books suffering the brunt of the ban.

Business is based on how people or groups get along. In a business setting, if I view you as a threat or an annoyance, I likely won't help you out by stocking your products on my shelves. That's the reality of the situation. Make me mad, I don't do business with/for you. Play nice, I help you out.

And no, removing something from Apple stores is not even close to media control. I think we're all getting an overblown sense of the importance of Apple stores here. There are tons of outlets for these same books, probably several right in the shopping center that many of the Apple stores are in already. Until Apple manages to get these books pulled from all those shelves, the cries of media control are ludicrous.

It's just business. It's ugly. I don't like it any more than you do, but the bottom line is that Apple can stock what they want on their shelves for any reason that is valid to them, even childish ones. It's their store.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

in retaliation for amazon.com leaking powermac g5 specs a day or so early, steve jobs has spoken to jeff bezos. amazon.com is no longer allowed to sell any apple stuff

But that's bad for Apple, surely?! Resellers help the sales, especially iPods, they're the perfect product to buy from Amazon because of better delivery.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

But that's bad for Apple, surely?! Resellers help the sales, especially iPods, they're the perfect product to buy from Amazon because of better delivery.

i was kidding mate of course amazon will continue to sell Apple stuff
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

i was kidding mate of course amazon will continue to sell Apple stuff

i thought you might be, although Apple didn't use ATi when they announced new PowerMacs - it was 5 years boycott! Although I'm sure Apple didn't mind too much as Amazon were only a day early. What surprised me was a representative announced they would be available this morning. Maybe they're worried about losing sales to Amazon.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    ct77ct77 Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkswamp

Now, if Apple were pulling strings to get book stores and libraries to do that same, then maybe you would have something, but just pulling things from a publisher that makes them unhappy...? That deserves to be labelled a "latest desperate attempt to control the media"? That's overreacting a bit. Get a grip.

Hear, hear.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Now that I have had a day to stew on it I have come to the following conclusion.

I shouldn't let my mac cult self get fired up about this.

They are Steve's stores, and he can sell or not sell what ever he wants (even for a childish tantrum).

It's not like he is stiffling the media or burning books in the streets. He's just chosing not to sell material by the same author of someone who is critical of you.

If you were Coke, and somebody who wrote a flaming review of your soft drink owned a sugar plant.. I think you could easily justify not buying his sugar.

We are talking about something that goes on every day. Walmart won't shelf books critical of Walmart. They also will black list any other books by the same author.

Yesterday I let my Mac weirdness get the best of me.. but this seems like a non-issue now.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Now that I have had a day to stew on it I have come to the following conclusion.

They are Steve's stores, and he can sell or not sell what ever he wants (even for a childish tantrum).

It's not like he is stiffling the media or burning books in the streets. He's just chosing not to sell material by the same author of someone who is critical of you.

If you were Coke, and somebody who wrote a flaming review of your soft drink owned a sugar plant.. I think you could easily justify not buying his sugar.

We are talking about something that goes on every day. Walmart won't shelf books critical of Walmart. They also will black list any other books by the same author.

Yesterday I let my Mac weirdness get the best of me.. but this seems like a non-issue now.

It's not just the author but the publisher, for the record.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

it's alright, i understand. i am having some very confusing feelings about the new PowerMac g5s and their shitty video cards (there i said it...!!) ... but the dual 2.0--2.7ghz benchmarks for real-world multimedia applications absolutely destroys higher ghz intel/amd offerings...
  • Reply 33 of 52
    You know, I've got absolutely no problem with either the publisher or Apple. Ultimately, Apple controls what products are available in an Apple Store, and is free to use whatever criteria they want. Meanwhile, consumers are still free to pick up the book elsewhere. Eventually, someone will relent, but until then why should I care in the slightest?

My house, my choice what's allowed in it.

Apple's store, their choice what's allowed in it.

Censorship indeed. So many people have double standards.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    gamoguygamoguy Posts: 24member
    I agree this:

1. is a very immature and childish reaction form Jobs.

2. is unreasonable. Not selling the biography is one thing, pulling all of the publisher's books, even ones written by other authors is quite another.

3. will give this book even greater publicity.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/26/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Wow.. he's making this newsworthy. Sweet. Way to go.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scotty321

Unbelievably JUVENILE behavior by Steve Jobs & Apple. This is just unbelievable. It's one thing to not carry the biography -- but to actually HURT & PUNISH NEW MAC USERS by not showing them the full breadth of Mac books that are available to purchase is actually only going to HURT APPLE in the long run! Customers should be able to walk into any Apple Retail Store and see the entire selection of Apple "how to" books on the market. Not having the full selection of books to choose from is A HORRIBLE BUSINESS DECISION that hurts Apple in the long run, and hurts their customers in the short run. NICE GOING, APPLE. You've pulled an idiotic move that hurts potential Mac customers.

This hurts no one. As a matter of fact this isnt going to do anything but drive sales and curiosity. more people will likely buy this book now than would have before just to get a peek at what could possibly be so confrontational. Additionally if you think that this is going to hurt apple's reputation any... think again. Everyone in the press and most consumers know that Steve Jobs & Apple make great products but can be a little detached from what is deemed corporately acceptable. Hell this isnt even close to them slapping a lawsuit against the kid from Harvard without even flenching. Apple does what it feels is in its best interest and doesnt waste time trying to figure out what the rest of the world thinks about it.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Book Description:

Quote:

Lightning never strikes twice, but Steve Jobs has, transforming modern culture first with the Macintosh and more recently with the iPod. He has dazzled and delighted audiences with his Pixar movies. And he has bedeviled, destroyed, and demoralized hundreds of people along the way. Steve Jobs is the most interesting character of the digital age.

What a long, strange journey it has been. With the mainstream success of the iPod, Pixar's string of hits and subsequent divorce from Disney, and Steve's triumphant return to Apple, his story is better than any fiction. Ten years after the leading maverick of the computer age and the king of digital cool, crashed from the height of Apple's meteoric rise, Steve Jobs rose from ashes in a Machiavellian coup that only he could have orchestrated-and has now become more famous than ever.

In this encore to his classic 1987 unauthorized biography of Steve Jobs-a major bestseller- Jeffrey Young examines Jobs' remarkable resurgence, one of the most amazing business comeback stories in recent years. Drawing on a wide range of sources in Silicon Valley and Hollywood, he details how Jobs put Apple back on track, first with the iMac and then with the iPod, and traces Jobs' role in the remarkable rise of the Pixar animation studio, including his rancorous feud with Disney's Michael Eisner.

* Written with insider scoops and no-holds-barred style

* Based on hundreds of highly unauthorized interviews with Jobs' nearest and dearest

* New information on the acrimonious parting between Eisner and Jobs, the personal vendetta behind the return to Apple, and the future of iPod and the music industry

• Reply 38 of 52
    resres Posts: 711member
    Stock holders should think about this. Apple stores are no longer going to sell profitable merchandise because Steve Jobs is throwing a hissy-fit... Is that the proper way to run a business? I don't think so, especially with all the bad press an act like this will cause.

Steve Jobs is not the owner of Apple. If he wants to use his own resources to try to keep a book that offends him form being published, that is his business. When he starts using Apple to try to influence and, if that fails, punish a publisher of a book that personally offends him, he is definitely crossing a line.

A CEO of a company is a manager that is hired by the owners (stock holders). Usually, when the CEO of a company starts treating a the corporation as his own personal kingdom, and for personal reasons has the corporation take actions that is not in the bests interest of the owners, it is time to replace the CEO.

Steve Jobs IS an icon of the computer industry, so we cut him a lot of slack, but I am not at all happy with his recent actions.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    I guess we'll all have to read the book to see what the fuss is about. What if the book doesn't just badmouth Steve.. but Apple in general? What if it reveals future products? What if it reveals some really damaging news?

Apple's not stupid nor is Steve Jobs. Personal vendetta seems less and less likely.

Anybody stop to think this could be a publicity stunt to actually INCREASE sales? (as people rush out to buy the controversial book and then to visit an Apple Store?)
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

Stock holders should think about this. Apple stores are no longer going to sell profitable merchandise because Steve Jobs is throwing a hissy-fit... Is that the proper way to run a business? I don't think so, especially with all the bad press an act like this will cause.

Steve Jobs is not the owner of Apple. If he wants to use his own resources to try to keep a book that offends him form being published, that is his business. When he starts using Apple to try to influence and, if that fails, punish a publisher of a book that personally offends him, he is definitely crossing a line.

A CEO of a company is a manager that is hired by the owners (stock holders). Usually, when the CEO of a company starts treating a the corporation as his own personal kingdom, and for personal reasons has the corporation take actions that is not in the bests interest of the owners, it is time to replace the CEO.

Steve Jobs IS an icon of the computer industry, so we cut him a lot of slack, but I am not at all happy with his recent actions.

However he founded Apple and owns a significant amount of the stock.