Apple cuts Cinema Displays prices

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Definitely, Apple now have competitive displays for the mini but they need a smaller display - 17" still. The second I have enough money I'm buying a new 20" display, maybe 23" if my G4 PB will support HD.

rwmarejka thanks for agreeing with me!
  • Reply 22 of 30
    I think if you are really looking to buy a DELL 2005FPW, wait till July. That is when their quarter ends, and I believe this display will cost about 380 by then (its lowest price has been ~386 already).
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

rwmarejka thanks for agreeing with me!

Agreed, a 17" display to go with the Mac mini (or whatever else you want to connect it to) would be a great idea. It would go nicely with my 12" PowerBook for example .
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Btw, the apple displays using the education discount are 699, 1299, and 2699, respectively.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rwmarejka

IMHO Apple should (re-)introduce a 17" display to pair with the Mac mini. A smaller display (well, smaller than the 20"), same resolution as the 17" PB display and with the USB and firewire ports would be a big hit with the Mac mini crowd.

As for the 23" iMac G5, someone else speculated (before the iMac G5 launch) that such may be the plan. Having acquired a 20" iMac G5 and browsed the 17" versions at various Apple stores, a 23" would make a great system that much better, being HD not the least attractive feature. However, the price point may prove to be too high for the consumer and the market size too small to justify the expense.

OTOH there are some nice features of a 23" iMac G5: HD display, larger form-factor would provide improved cooling and/or could make room for add-on components (like a TV tuner).

Yes, a 17" will do well with the mac mini crowd. This only proves Apple's contention that people tend to buy the whole widget in one shot. It also only proves my long-standing contention that regardless of that, people like the idea that the display and CPU aren't welded to each other. Total share of shipping units up from 2.6% of US shipments lat quarter, to 3.6% this quarter... three words: Told You So!

As for the 23" iMac. Easy as pie. When you bundle, you can't expect the same margin as for each product independently. All Apple's displays have a healthy margin, and the original 20" iMac sold for $2199, entirely doable for a new 23" model.

Also, The 1499 base SP G51.8 pMac didn't receive any upgrading. It's a so-so deal for consumers who don't need the towers features. This is not because Apple can't spec or price the entry pMac appropriately for consumers -- it's because they DO NOT WANT consumers to buy pMacs. They'd rather have a high-end iMac out there for well-heeled consumers, small though the market may be.

In any case, a 23" iMac might just be the last flourish of the consumer market AIO concept. If the mini continues to do well, and Apple continues to drop display prices rather than their old practice of dropping bottom line models altogether, the next complete iMac redesign may just be headless...
  • Reply 26 of 30
    I'm considering the Apple 20" @ $699, which is not bad,

but the DEll 24" 2405 FPW is really what grabs my attention.

Any clues where I can get the best possible price on the 2405?

I've heard they go as low as $850, but where?
  • Reply 27 of 30
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

It's been pointed out before, but bears repeating: while the Dell may use the same LCD panel, it does not use the same backlighting system, which has enormous influence on contrast and color integrity.

Moreover, Dell's quality control has at times been less than rigorous, meaning that you might get a really sweet display for your money, and you might get something with more dead pixels than you like (but fewer than Dell considers replaceable), or uneven color and illumination.

Personally, at the new price point, I think it's worth it to shell out a little more for a monitor which has something going into it other than "how can we we can shave another 3 cents off this thing?"

Actually, apple dead pixel policy is worse than Dell (i know, i bought an imac with dead pixels and ran into apple dead pixel policy. I have to give apple credit in that although my display did not qualify, the apple store i bought it from replaced my imac anyway. Very nice of them to). I have no idea if dell would do the same.. maybe if you make enough noise they would but slamming Dell dead pixel policy?. You obviously haven't read apple dead pixel policy.

P.S. The imac that i was given as replacement had a dead pixel (the original had 3 dead pixels), so don't crow about apple quality. LCD's are tough. Every manufacturer has problems. i am sure Dell makes as much effort as apple to ensure they have a quality product.

As to the other concerns, i do not know if apple displays suffer from those also, although i have seen people in forums complaining about color on some apple displays. As to uneven illumination, i have to agree with you. It does happen.

BTW, dell monitor has higher contrast and is brighter than Apple monitor. I suspect that the Dell monitor compares very well with the Apple monitor. Dell is merely willing to accept a lower profit margin than Apple. While that is good for apple, it's bad for me. I wanted to make my entire system apple but couldn't justify paying 1000+ for an apple monitor (this was price before recent price drop). I ran out of money after buying my powermac.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

It's been pointed out before, but bears repeating: while the Dell may use the same LCD panel, it does not use the same backlighting system, which has enormous influence on contrast and color integrity.

Moreover, Dell's quality control has at times been less than rigorous, meaning that you might get a really sweet display for your money, and you might get something with more dead pixels than you like (but fewer than Dell considers replaceable), or uneven color and illumination.

Personally, at the new price point, I think it's worth it to shell out a little more for a monitor which has something going into it other than "how can we we can shave another 3 cents off this thing?"

true, true... however, have a look at www.anandtech.com latest apple/dell review and you will see that the Dell comes out on top regarding brightness and color fidelity.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

In any case, a 23" iMac might just be the last flourish of the consumer market AIO concept. If the mini continues to do well, and Apple continues to drop display prices rather than their old practice of dropping bottom line models altogether, the next complete iMac redesign may just be headless...

That would be something wouldn't it? Keep the Mini as the switcher, it will always have less features, less power and less price. And retain a size that sets it apart from anything else Apple sells. Then you have the new (Matsu-invisioned) iMac that takes many cues from the Mini but one-ups it in all departments, and sadly also size. Still, I wouldn't mind a headless, slab that was larger (but not too) then the Mini but featured a G5. Sweet.

Anywho these Cinema Display drops hurt me so. I remember paying $1400 or so on my 20". Why do I remember, because up until a month ago I was still paying it Now prices have just, dropped. Cold. Cool for others though, and if I wanted an Apple-branded 23".

All this talk of cheaper, widescreen LCDs however got my attention. When I bought my Cinema Display it was basically the only game in town. Now that it appears 16:10 panels are more widely used others have got my attentioned.

Did see a Dell widescreen, looked like a 17", at the Mall today. Not very attractive. Price is probably astonishing, but then again isn't that Dell's strong suit?
  • Reply 30 of 30
    The Dell education store is selling the 2405FPW 24" HD display

for $899 or LESS depending on your discount eligibility.

You must speak directly with them over the phone to get the best prices.

I'll be happy to refer you to my Dell rep if you P.M. me.