Will Powermac Tiger Version install on imac/powerbook?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am planning on getting one of the new pathetically enhanced powermacs ... Anways I was wondering if it is possible to install the copy of tiger that comes with the computer on my iMac 64 and my powerbook G4 1.67

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    silversilver Posts: 34member
    Sure. Apple's OS's never require a serial number.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    Thanks for the reply... yes i understand that.. but I remember my powerbook coming with a powerbook version of panther.. I don't think my powermac version would install on it.. so I am wondering if the Powermac comes with a General version of Tiger like the one sold in stores.. or is it a specific one that won't let a person install it on the powerbook...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    the version of Panther that came with our iMac at work only installs on iMacs, probably only that Rev iMac. i think Apple's now doing this on all bundled copies of OS X.

of course, no one knows if this'll be the same with Tiger on the new powermacs, but i'd have to assume it is the same.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    It probably depends on whether or not they have gotten around to making the tiger powermac specific install discs or will they just ship it with the retail copy at the start.

If you get the powermac specific ones, it will most likely not work.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

It probably depends on whether or not they have gotten around to making the tiger powermac specific install discs or will they just ship it with the retail copy at the start.

If you get the powermac specific ones, it will most likely not work.

I installed my dad's G4 disks for Jaguar on my old G3 once.

However, with the new 64-bit stuff for the G5s in Tiger, the installer might install a different version depending on your hardware, so once it's installed, it won't work on all computers.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I installed my dad's G4 disks for Jaguar on my old G3 once.

However, with the new 64-bit stuff for the G5s in Tiger, the installer might install a different version depending on your hardware, so once it's installed, it won't work on all computers.

i don't think it's 64-bit code, or any other code for specific machines.. i think, as of Panther, or maybe a bit after Panther's release, it's apple locking an install disk to a specific model of computer, to cut down on piracy.

as a consumer, it's a bit annoying. as an investor, i absolutely agree with this move. (and it's definitely better than serial numbers, or forced registration)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I'm pretty sure it will work. I've used eMac installer DVD's on other computers such as Powerbooks.