This is the coolest hybrid car i could find...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
V6 on the gas side for 0-60mph in 6.7seconds, about 30 or so miles per gallon (metric: 0-100kph in 6.7seconds), ~13 kilometres per litre

honda accord v6 hybrid.. watcha think?

i like the "v6-hybrid" part of it. you get to be a petrolhead and a tree-hugging hippie all at once... i like being an enigma like that...

oh, i hate SUVs, and other than that the other hybrids i feel are too wimpy and lame looking, honestly

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    i'm not a big fan of the back of the car design though, i like the more 'sharper' back on the 2001-2003 honda accord sedan/ coupe...
  • Reply 2 of 30
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    30MPG? That's not very impressive.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

yup, 37mpg highway

quite low compared to other hybrids, but it is a four door sedan size car, V6 engine...

i guess i want to have my cake and eat it too... have a v6 to cruise around in yet still tell people and generally feel good about having a hybrid...

maybe a few years down the track, when the Hybrid or Hyrdogenise the Acura RSX (i like it, it's sleek without being too trashy or too fast and too furious)

Acura TSX is cool though.. a V6 hybrid Acura TSX giving 40mpg city would be killer...
  • Reply 4 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

It's closer to 40. Check Honda.com and this car has 255HP.

So me any other car that can do a sub 7 0-60 that gets 35mpg+
  • Reply 5 of 30
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,563member
    The coolest hybrid has to be the Honda IMAS concept car.

http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/honda_IMAS.html

Depending which article you read the reported mileage varies but is said to be about 100 mpg.

Round trip from San Francisco to LA on 10 gallons of gas.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Finally, a hybrid car that doesn't make me wanna puke when I look at it.

That IMAS concept is fugly though, the kind of thing I would expect from first-year engineering student:

• Reply 7 of 30
    not real impressive economy ...

for the premium $$ you pay for the car, you'll probably be lucky to break-even over its lifetime with regard to fuel $ saved.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geekdreams

That IMAS concept is fugly though, the kind of thing I would expect from first-year engineering student:

It's a concept car. The only concept car I've ever seen that actually looked better than the eventual production version was the RX-Evolv, which became the RX-8.

As for Hybrids, I think it's a good idea, but is also something of a fad. Maybe fad is the wrong word, but the point is that the hybrid automobile will be a short lived technology in most of the developed world as alternative fuels and improved electricity storage techniques become available in the next 10/20 years.

GM actually built prototypes of a diesel hybrid that was very cool in itself, but supposedly diesel isn't cool with environmental groups (of the regulatory nature) anymore. I would like to see a biodiesel hybrid, though.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

not real impressive economy ...

for the premium $$ you pay for the car, you'll probably be lucky to break-even over its lifetime with regard to fuel $ saved.

How much does it cost?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I might pay a little more in the beginning so I could fill up the gas tank less frequently. I hate doing that. As soon as classes end (and I'm not forced to rush to school at 80-90 mph), I'll finally fulfill my quest to get 400 miles out of one tank of gas in my 2003 Civic Coupe EX. I get 360 miles just pounding it after red lights and accelerating to stop signs. So I'm hoping I can do it. Just gonna keep it under 60, accelerate slowly and smoothy, draft behind tractor-trailers, coast down hills in neutral or whatever gear, and so on. Okay, I think it's clear I look forward to some pretty geeky things....

*Just as a friendly edit: shut up fellowship and your tricked-out Jetta Diesel.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Very nice for a Honda (Honda styling leaves me cold for some reason). I totally dig the idea of a hybrid, but I hear that some people are very disappointed in the ACTUAL mileage they achieve. EPA ratings are contrived and for comparison only. Check a car mag reveiw somewhere to see what the real world gas consumption is.

Yeah why do the other hybrids look so dorky? Lame color choices. I want a hybrid Element or Xb.

BTW 255 HP is way too much for this size of car. I mean come on. Really. That's silly. 175 would be more than enough unless you were towing a boat or something.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
  • Reply 14 of 30
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

[B]. . . Just gonna keep it under 60, accelerate slowly and smoothy, draft behind tractor-trailers . . .

Drafting behind tractor trailers doesn't help that much since they are so tall. When I had the RX-7, I found the best car to draft behind was a Corvette (C5). The tall rear end let air flow over my car, and the lowness of the car kept any air from hitting above my intake. Plus, no rear diffuser to create vortexes or anything like that.

Anyway, while we're on the topic of cars, I just caved and bought a white WRX. Not the greatest gas mileage, but I carpool and avoid unnecessary trips, which more than makes up for it.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

As for Hybrids, I think it's a good idea, but is also something of a fad. Maybe fad is the wrong word, but the point is that the hybrid automobile will be a short lived technology in most of the developed world as alternative fuels and improved electricity storage techniques become available in the next 10/20 years.

I agree with you there. By the time hybrids catch on in the US, there will be better, more efficient technologies (fuel cells?) available at the same price. Gas/electric hybrids are an interim solution at best.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I just do not care much about cars.

I had to say that.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Hybrids are based on extremely mature and proven technology, and they give tangible benefits.

What is necessary for their mass adoption is just price that is so close to the level of a normal gas-powered car that people save the difference in gas in a couple years max.

Then again, I never understood the SUV either and that one caught on despite their total natural lossage to 4wd station wagons... so I guess hybrids could fail. But there's no objective reason for them to do so.

Re: the Accord hybrid. I think it doesn't look quite as good as the Euro Accord. Also feels silly to sacrifice so much of the benefit of the hybrid to gain... what exactly?

Do you want to tow, or go fast? If the latter, how often do you want to go fast? It would probably be a better idea to look at car and kart rentals for track driving, or have a separate, old bomb of a muscle car for that.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    The gas milage of hybrids is disapointing, you never get what is advertised. The hybrid Lexus RX400h gets 24 mpg - no better than the Volvo XC90 2.5t (and the Volvo is bigger).

But the real market for hybrids is performance cars. Electric motors have maximum torque at 0 rpm, which means that you can go from 0-10 in neck snapping, tire ripping speed. Your 0-10 time is a big part of your 0-60 time, so soon the fastest cars will be gas hybrids (maybe a 300hp gas engine to power the rear wheels and a 100 hp electric engine on the front wheels).

Acura has a hybrid sports car mock-up that goes like stink:

http://cars.ign.com/articles/384/384725p1.html
  • Reply 19 of 30
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I just do not care much about cars.

I had to say that.

That is like saying that you don't like rainbows, or puppies or something...

I look at car web pages every day, I can't even imagine not liking them - if only american cars were made, I would not care about cars - maybe that is what it is like, everything is a Buick.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

That is like saying that you don't like rainbows, or puppies or something...

I look at car web pages every day, I can't even imagine not liking them - if only american cars were made, I would not care about cars - maybe that is what it is like, everything is a Buick.

/ msg I don't like football or baseball, either. Don't tell anyone.

D'oh!